Bengals fire DC after loss to Saints

carrolljcmc

Also, i'm not sure what good this really does.  Yeah he wasn't cutting it.  But the bigger problem is Marvin.  It's finally time.

They may yet back their way into the playoffs as the #6 seed, but they're not good.  They've lost whatever edge they had a few years ago.  Now they play the worst kind of Tressle-ball for the NFL.  They play scared all the time, don't know when to put their foot on the pedal or take it off, etc.  The list goes on.

One of the more remarkable stats i've seen, btw.  And that was before the Saints scored for the second time under two minutes before halftime.

Also this one

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

Is there a bigger coaching blunder in the last 20 years?

Heck, Jay Gruden would have been an upgrade. Marv did a lot of good for the team, but they should have moved on from him years ago.

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I thought he was a good DC?  Got hyped up a lot in Detroit

The landscape of defenses has changed a lot in the last 2-3 years.  The Bengals don't have the personnel to contend with top (or even mediocre) offenses in today's NFL.  

So maybe he can still coach a defense.  But Cincinnati's defense is a dumpster fire, and Zimmer himself couldn't cure it if he walked in the door tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Elky said:

Heck, Jay Gruden would have been an upgrade. Marv did a lot of good for the team, but they should have moved on from him years ago.

I'm not sure that Gruden would have panned out in Cincinnati, but maybe.  They also left the same year, so if you're firing Marvin for one of them, you'd do it for Zimmer.

Hey, at least they didn't decide to move on from Marvin for Hue Jackson a few years ago.  That's a win, right?

14 minutes ago, theJ said:

Lol, this should be interesting.  He hasn't coached a defense in about, what, 16 years?

lol... It sounds like he knows he will meet the fate at end of the season so he needs to brush up some skill at calling defensive plays for his next destination.

32 minutes ago, Elky said:

lazy ownership

MFB is happy getting those tv checks and all the other money his family makes off of this team.. No need to for him to go out and search for a coach when he has one that is always in the middle of the pack. unfortunately we are probably stuck with ole marv until the old man dies or something.. and even then Katie will take over and probably be the same way.

Winning is secondary and not as important as the money.

but at least they did something... lol

whod   ey 

43 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Don't worry, they're facing the Ravens this week and they'll likely post a shutout with about 8 sacks and everything will be forgotten...until they give up 500 more yards the next week.

I have a feeling that if Lamar Jackson starts, he'll run for about 120 yards on these awful LBs and the Ravens will have no trouble scoring.

If Joe starts, then yeah i think the Bengals will have a 1 week reprieve on defense.

Archived