Week 11 - Houston @ Washington

ET80

I am just so used to being the team in the Colts, Cowboys, Bills, Broncos, Redskins side of these close wins where we have been arguably outplayed, I barely know how to react to these actual victories.   The second I saw us playing for the field goal at the end, I KNEW we were missing it - just like the Kube's monday nighter.  No problem with kicking it there - problem was in not mixing in something other than dives with the entire team crashing in on em.  Depth perception on the Hopkins FG made me feel like I'm used to feeling, but then it all worked out. Holding penalty was a gift, but the Hopkins INT was absurd and umpire wouldn't throw a flag on the blatant holds on Watt/Clowney all day, so it's more like somebody brought our bike back after stealing it rather than a true gift.    

I saw Matt Lengel actually caught a TD for the Bengals today.  Ryan Griffin is sub practice squad at this point and needs to be demoted if not cut.  Dude is a liability in every way imaginable.

Actually would have been better for us if the Jags won, but knowing how that locker room will implode after this, I'll take the crushing defeat. 

I just dunno how this team does it.

Two wins off stupid decisions by our opponents in overtime

Two wins off missed FGs at the end of regulation

I mean, don't get me wrong, 7 straight wins is absolutely great and I'll take it, but I still feel we're a lucky mediocre team than a truly good one.

6 minutes ago, Longhorns90 said:

I just dunno how this team does it.

Two wins off stupid decisions by our opponents in overtime

Two wins off missed FGs at the end of regulation

I mean, don't get me wrong, 7 straight wins is absolutely great and I'll take it, but I still feel we're a lucky mediocre team than a truly good one.

we are.  this win is our most impressive during our winning streak however. 

Man, Redskins fans are at Arby's level salty right now over this one.  I totally get it due to the timing of the Norman hold and likely PI on Kareem on the deep pass, but Texans were absolutely robbed of a possession on the opening drive of the 2nd half with the indefensible Hopkins fumble on a non catch while we were driving into their territory. I counted at least 3 sacks averted by blatant holds on Watt and Clowney, 2 of them leading to 3rd down conversions.  I feel for them as those late game calls are tough and easier to point to, but interference on what is essentially a hail mary play is hardly ever called and an argument .  The 3rd down playcall was nuts though as they needed a 10 yard out to line up for a makeable FG  (the bomb only took 8 seconds so 10 yards and out of bounds was the call with 16 seconds left and possibly enough to go down the middle and clock it). 

I couldn't believe O'Brien took a time out before 4th as late defensive time outs almost always benefit the offense who get more time to scan their playbook for "the play" and swap in personnel, but I figured he wanted to give Watt & Clowney a chance to catch their breath for a final all out pass rush and Jackson and Reid were gassed from the deep pass too.  4D chess move seemed to have played into Gruden not trusting Colt to execute a 10 yard out in 8 seconds and trusting a kicker to hit a FG easily out of his range more - why coaches continue to do this remains a mystery, but O'Brien throwing away 6 straight downs with Miller dives up the middle to play for a 45 yarder with a kicker who missed from the same distance earlier was just as egregious.  Again, kicking it was the right call and really your kicker SHOULD make a 45 yarder, so burning their timeouts and not risking "losing" yards on a jet sweep or RPO (emphasis on R) is probably the right way to play it, but I'd love to see the analytics on kickers making kicks from the exact place they missed earlier with the game on the line (knuckballing like that is classic "overkicking." aka "mental."   Tough loss for them, especially with Alex going down, but with what that org did to RG3 (both Shanny's & Gruden) I have a tough time having much sympathy beyond that and Colt running may be their best option anyway.    

3 hours ago, Jaytrajik said:

I missed the game and I was worried this would be a let down of sorts. I'm pleasantly surprised we pulled off a victory but I'm wondering how well we looked? I see Watson had 2 picks. Did the offense struggle today? 

We lost both starting guards early on and Watson had to run for his life. The 2nd Int was an amazing tip and pick on a screen. It was a nice play. We missed two FGs we should have made and of course couldn’t score inside the 10. 

near the end i sort of expected us to lose bc we were unprepared for colt mccoy but was pleasantly surprised that we didnt. Are we a good team yet? like i kind of feel like we arent but besides Oline, we have so many good players everywhere else. Its really just these dumb little mistakes that keep happening. i wonder how far we can really go this year. The future for this team is so exciting.

We have seen years and years of the Texans losing close games in every single way possible from Rosencopter to batted down Hail Marys. It feels like this year we are finally making up for it and getting some breaks our way. 

but lets be real, how many of you thought that BOB calling TO on 4th down right before the Redskins went for it was going to cost us the game? Skins decided to kick the FG out of that TO, and if he had about 5 more yards on his leg, we lose that game because BOB doesnt know clock management. 

Archived