Nelson fined for block vs Church

3rivers

Just now, cp0k2 said:

How is this specific situation ruining it for the fans? He was not flagged and the fine came later from the league office. It didn't affect the outcome of the game and what's in Nelson's bank account doesn't affect football fans.

it could affect how many OL try to block for now on.  there was a time when this was a great play, so IOW, the league has removed another great play. The physicality is being taken away more and more to the point if you were to miss a few years , the game would be drastically different if this keeps going on.  

Just now, 3rivers said:

it could affect how many OL try to block for now on.  there was a time when this was a great play, so IOW, the league has removed another great play. The physicality is being taken away more and more to the point if you were to miss a few years , the game would be drastically different if this keeps going on.  

I mean, yeah, they’re trying to take some of the unnecessary hits and physicality out of the game.  A bunch of demented, crippled 60yo dudes isn’t a good look for the sport.

I mean, is one penalty some sort of epidemic?  Every other OL who pulled on Sunday managed to block someone without getting a fine, idk...

Keep your head up, it’s that simple.

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, yeah, they’re trying to take some of the unnecessary hits and physicality out of the game.  A bunch of demented, crippled 60yo dudes isn’t a good look for the sport.

I mean, is one penalty some sort of epidemic?  Every other OL who pulled on Sunday managed to block someone without getting a fine, idk...

Keep your head up, it’s that simple.

tell church this, not me-_- He got ran over as he was supposed to because the OG made a good play, that's football or was football. 

at least an OL will get recognition . Nelson has helped the colts OL keep Luck healthy and they could be a legit contender maybe even this year despite the bad start.  Luck is having a great season, and isn't nearly on IR every week either

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I don't have much of a problem with that.

If lowering your head to use your helmet as a battering ram is "textbook" then somebody needs to write a new one

that's the way it used to be though I understand player safety is the new way. I didn't think it was that severe, but who cares. 

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

that's the way it used to be though I understand player safety is the new way. I didn't think it was that severe, but who cares. 

Did you care about how Ryan Shazier's tackling form had always been poor? Because routinely doing dangerous behaviors with poor form is how guys end up stretchered off the field...

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

Did you care about how Ryan Shazier's tackling form had always been poor? Because routinely doing dangerous behaviors with poor form is how guys end up stretchered off the field...

Yeah this started with more knowledge of CTE but Shazier's injury made the NFL step up their game. Shazier was a Buckeye so I rooted for him even though I rooted against his NFL team but it was a matter of time before he seriously hurt himself or someone else.

Real football was leather helmets and those kind of hits wouldn't be made so stop with that (not you, others). I know we like to see car accidents but people who know better need to try to keep those from happening. You can block and tackle without leading with your helmet and that is still football. If you only watch football for the big hits then the future of football probably isn't for you. Even in the 80s you didn't make big hits all of the time you did it with the purpose of taking a star our of the game because they were really good. Obviously the league, and fans, aren't going to want to lose their stars so that was never a good thing. Then it turned into a hitting league with terrible attempts at wrap up tackles. You either shoulder a guy or spear a guy. That isn't football, at least not fundamental football. You can hit as you wrap but hitting alone makes you look bad more often than not.

I personally don't like to see injuries so I have zero issue with the spearing rules or hits to the head/neck. Incidental contact while actually tackling (even a QB) shouldn't be flagged but they probably aren't going to take that step until players start tackling with better form. So once players stop worrying about highlight hits maybe the league will look better or at least be less flag/fine happy. If you do want to make a good play with your helmet, even though you shouldn't, you should at least aim for the football not the opponents head at least you may get some forced fumbles, it still happens occasionally but usually because the player carrying the football was rendered unconscious and that certainly isn't what the game of football is about, that should just be the occasional unfortunate circumstance that happens playing the game. Not a goal.

11 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Yeah, Shazier's hit didn't look severe, but that's the sort of risk taken with any head first tackle, especially leading with the crown, and it's an entirely unnecessary risk.

I rewatched this literally 30 times trying to get the perfect pause and when I finally did, I see Nelson's head in Church's chest and it didn't even look intentional.

If he speared the guy in the head, it'd be one thing. But it looks like he hit him in the chest and it even glanced a bit off of Church.

Edit: As far as the Shazier talk goes, yeah you don't want to do what Nelson did.

21 hours ago, ET80 said:

That scream was EPIC - oh my goodness, I want to pay his fine now. Seriously, we should set up a GoFundMe to cover the costs. I'm quickly becoming a fan of Nelson, even though he's a division foe.

I get the lowering of the head, but c'mon, this is football.

I mean defenses deserve breaks too. I have no problem with the fine if you’re gonna fine defenders for these same offences.

Archived