Jump to content
rocky_rams

Disrespect to Jared Goff

Recommended Posts

It’s crazy the amount of disrespect Jared Goff gets by fans and media. 

One can argue Goff has been the most consistent of the 2016 class since the beginning of last year. 

Mahomes gets crazy amount of love and already crowned the next big thing like Wentz was last year. Yes he’s had great numbers. But he’s  only played 10 games.

Like McVay says, consistency is the greatest measurement of performance. 

People fall in love with the razzle dazzle plays of Mahomes. But they forget Goff has been equally as good, if not better. If McVay didn’t choose to run on most end zone drives, Goff would have close to as much TDs as Mahomes. 

Mahomes has the better arm, but Goff Is more accurate. 

Goff doesn’t have those crazy out of pocket plays and is not as exciting as Mahomes or Wentz but he’s been more consistent. 

Last year it was Wentz. This year it’s Mahomes. But when Goff does good it’s because he has Gurley and McVay. 

He’s a pure pocket passer and I’m willing to bet he’ll have the better career out of all young QBs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might as well just sit back and enjoy the winning. Goff is going to have to do twice as much as other QBs to get the same amount of credit because people decided he was a bust as a rookie. It is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this age of Redzone and highlight reels, pocket passers are perceived as being boring and old-fashioned.

Unless you’re either Brady or Brees, you’d better be all-action and scrambling all the time or you’re not going to get on TV; the NFL just wants action, action, action. 

Edited by DistantRam
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Goff. I’m thankful we drafted him. Even though we were ridiculed for taking him over Wentz. 

Goff has something you can’t teach. That even keeled demeanor Sean McVay always talks about. That’s huge because no moment is too big for him and he won’t let pressure get to him. Also he got a short term memory when it comes to his turnovers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He gets disrespected for two big reasons, both of which aren't really valid.

1.  Sean McVay is an offensive genius.  Because Goff was so bad under Fisher and then had a 180 turn around under McVay, McVay will always get a huge share of the credit.

2.  Todd Gurley is the best RB in football.  People also lean on this to take credit away from Goff, but if anyone has consistently watched the Rams all year they would see that Goff is just flat-out really really good regardless of who the running back is.

The crazy thing about the Mahomes comparison is that Mahomes also has a QB guru as his head coach and an insane amount of offensive weapons.  These points are used to diminish Goff, yet people dismiss them when it comes to Mahomes.  I have been making the point that it's incredibly impressive for a very young QB to have an awesome year in his first full year as a starting QB and then follow it up with an even better year. 

Regardless of who the coach is or what kind of talent he has around him, Goff is the one out there reading defenses in real time and making accurate throws.  To me, he's a no-brainer top 3 QB in the league this season and there's no indication that will change anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, showtime said:

He gets disrespected for two big reasons, both of which aren't really valid.

1.  Sean McVay is an offensive genius.  Because Goff was so bad under Fisher and then had a 180 turn around under McVay, McVay will always get a huge share of the credit.

2.  Todd Gurley is the best RB in football.  People also lean on this to take credit away from Goff, but if anyone has consistently watched the Rams all year they would see that Goff is just flat-out really really good regardless of who the running back is.

The crazy thing about the Mahomes comparison is that Mahomes also has a QB guru as his head coach and an insane amount of offensive weapons.  These points are used to diminish Goff, yet people dismiss them when it comes to Mahomes.  I have been making the point that it's incredibly impressive for a very young QB to have an awesome year in his first full year as a starting QB and then follow it up with an even better year. 

Regardless of who the coach is or what kind of talent he has around him, Goff is the one out there reading defenses in real time and making accurate throws.  To me, he's a no-brainer top 3 QB in the league this season and there's no indication that will change anytime soon.

I was trying to think of a historical comparison for this and - playoff results pending - the two closest I can come up with without going too far back are Brees and Rivers.  Brees more so for point 1 - people were fine with acknowledging him as "very good" even "great" on some occasions, but they were always hesitant to place him in that utmost tier with Brady and Peyton because "well, he's benefiting from Sean Payton's gimmick scheme."  Rivers was - reasonably so, knocked for his playoff record - but the most common reason to discount him brought up was that he "had prime Tomlinson and Gates" (and a slew of other weapons) at his disposal... conveniently ignoring that when push came to shove and Rivers was forced to work with legitimate street free agents at starting receiver and Brandon Manumaleuna - who was known far more for his blocking than his ability as a receiver - he still produced to the tune of a season that was OPOY-worthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder the same thing about Adam Theilen.  It's always OBJ, AB and Julio but Theilen has been the most consistent out of all of them in the past 2 years hands down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goff should be a legit MVP candidate, but he gets no attention. He is easily top 3 in that conversation with the criteria being QB, Top 3 team in conference, and put up ridiculous numbers.

He's 4th in Passing Yards, 4th in TD's, 3rd in QBR, and his team is 2nd in the NFC. Could end up being the #1 seed with Saints tough schedule to end the season.

 

I'd give it to Mahomes right now. I'm just not buying into this whole Drew Brees life time achievement award this is turning into. He has the best rushing attack in the league IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 4:22 PM, jrry32 said:

Might as well just sit back and enjoy the winning. Goff is going to have to do twice as much as other QBs to get the same amount of credit because people decided he was a bust as a rookie. It is what it is.

We are dealing with Trubisky and it frustrates the hell out of us as well.

Trubisky has not obviously been as good as Goff, but he has played pretty well this season, his stats are good, the Bears are winning, and Trubisky gets flame thrown by the national media. Michael Lombardi, who cannot have watched him, Bill Barnwell and Mike Tanier, making non sense short throw arguments, have consistently stuck to their narrative.

I feel you are correct jrry. Media members hot taked that Goff was a bust and now they look for any reason to confirm what they spewed out early in his career. My favorite Goff one is that he is a system QB. Every QB is a system QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not affraid about Trubisky and i don't think he's a very good QB. He's average at best. Everyone jump on the bandwagon when he threw 6 TD against the Buccs...but when you see the other game there's nothing spetacular about him. Bears defense play a great role on Bears offense as they don't have to score on every drive to keep the pace up, it help truly Trubisky as he don't have to take the team on his back. 

I can't see Trubiksy schredding our defense and win this game. If we lose, it will be because their defense win the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Flounch said:

I'm not affraid about Trubisky and i don't think he's a very good QB. He's average at best. Everyone jump on the bandwagon when he threw 6 TD against the Buccs...but when you see the other game there's nothing spetacular about him. Bears defense play a great role on Bears offense as they don't have to score on every drive to keep the pace up, it help truly Trubisky as he don't have to take the team on his back. 

I can't see Trubiksy schredding our defense and win this game. If we lose, it will be because their defense win the game. 

Wait till you see our OL and run game, you will have more respect for what Trubisky has done this season. If you look at some of his games the box score does not look exceptional, but when you look closer you see that we converted 7/12 3rd downs against the best 3rd down defense in the league [Vikings] and 3 of those were Trubisky running and breaking the Vikings back.

I do not think either defense will get shredded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 2:33 PM, BStanRamFan said:

Goff should be a legit MVP candidate, but he gets no attention. He is easily top 3 in that conversation with the criteria being QB, Top 3 team in conference, and put up ridiculous numbers.

He's 4th in Passing Yards, 4th in TD's, 3rd in QBR, and his team is 2nd in the NFC. Could end up being the #1 seed with Saints tough schedule to end the season.

 

I'd give it to Mahomes right now. I'm just not buying into this whole Drew Brees life time achievement award this is turning into. He has the best rushing attack in the league IMO.

This is the Mahomes and Brees year.

Goff will get his love, but I think it may take a year or 2 for the old guard to move aside and Mahomes to come back to planet Earth. Even more so with Wentz not playing at the same level this season and Goff continuing to ascend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Wait till you see our OL and run game, you will have more respect for what Trubisky has done this season. If you look at some of his games the box score does not look exceptional, but when you look closer you see that we converted 7/12 3rd downs against the best 3rd down defense in the league [Vikings] and 3 of those were Trubisky running and breaking the Vikings back.

I do not think either defense will get shredded.

 I saw him getting some first down with his legs and some magic throw. But i also saw a lot of under/Overthrow pass or pass where there wasn't any receiver in the area. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×