How good is Josh McDaniels

Activated10

How good is Josh McDaniels  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Josh McDaniels as OC

• Great, Top 5-10 OC
    • Overrated, below average OC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2018 at 11:32 AM

Do you think he's a great OC. Top 5, at worst top 10 in the league. 

Some people think he's overrated because of Brady and because of his bad stints in Denver and Rams. But the people who are fans of McDaniels say he only failed because he had terrible QBs and you can't do much with terrible QB. They say McDaniels gets Patriots receivers consistently open with his design of plays. 

I'm not talking about his ability as HC, only as a OC. So where do you stand, great OC or overrated

Everyone involved in the Patriots gets the overrated label because there is somebody else great that you can say "no they really are the reason for the success". People call Belichick overrated because of Brady. People call Gronk overrated because of Brady. People call Brady overrated because of Belichick. 

As it pertains to McDaniels, he oversaw several of the greatest offenses this league has every seen, he's implemented schemes and systems that changed the league that were adopted league wide, he's nearly always overseen a top 5 offense, he's gotten by with multiple pieces, the QB many consider the best ever had his first longterm QB coach in Josh and then most consistent OC in Josh, as an OC he's been involved in 4 teams that went to Super Bowls, and his offenses have changed a lot.

You could argue he doesn't have the most creative plays of any OC, but he routinely has his guys in a position to be open and to succeed. Consistency over a long period of time is the mark of greatness in this league. No OC has that more than McDaniels

How competent McDaniels is can't really be judged tbh, separating a playcaller from an elite QB is hard to do especially since Brady has been elite long before McDaniels. I could say McDaniels is a terrible HC with an ego that will sink his ship, also the colts mess. But even then that was like 9 years ago. 

I'd say he's an above average OC who will get way too much credit because of the team he is on. 

Umm neither bc I think hes an average of.  He certainly isnt up there with Reid, Mcvay, Payton, or Nagy.  The scheme has never worked without Brady.  On top of that we've seen other OCs leave Brady and do nothing, including Josh McDaniels. Its very hard to not assume that the Patriots offensive success is the result of Brady and Belichick.

Strictly as an OC, McDaniels is above average but not great IMO. 

Like any other OC, he has times where you want to throw a remote at your TV with his playcalling - which admittedly has been more common this year compared to the last handful. But he’s not bad and definitely not replacement level. 

It is hard to separate him from Brady and Bill, though.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Umm neither bc I think hes an average of.  He certainly isnt up there with Reid, Mcvay, Payton, or Nagy.  The scheme has never worked without Brady.  On top of that we've seen other OCs leave Brady and do nothing, including Josh McDaniels. Its very hard to not assume that the Patriots offensive success is the result of Brady and Belichick.

Since Josh has been their his scheme is 14-6 without Brady. That's slightly less than with Brady, but still.

Just now, ET80 said:

A valid one.

Very similar ones used against both Brady and  Gronk. The fact is the NE Patriots became a more offensively focused team when McDaniels took over as OC and they created some of the greatest offenses in history during that time. You can take that for what you will.

Those people who claim Tb is a system-QB only, surely they should consider Josh the best OC ever, then? It's his "system..."

I think with Josh there is either great games or poor games. There's rarely a 'pretty good' game of play calling. Last week's playcalling was crap, but he's had games where it looks like we are wired into NASA's supercomputer on offense. He is capable of creating plays that get every single player either open or on a mismatch (With help from Brady's pre-snap calls). But more often, we are calling draws on 2nd and short, or something.

I'm usually pro-Josh, but I think most Pats fans seem to be low on him. 

Archived