Referees and their affect on games.

Slappy Mc

Rate the refs performance this year  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade the overall performance this year?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Fire them all

The Oakland vs Cleveland game would have me fuming if Cleveland was competing for a playoff spot. That was a TERRIBLE game for the officials. The Chargers missed false start was pretty bad.

I said it when we had replacement officials, the real officials sucked too. I couldn’t tell a difference.

33 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

The refs weren't the reason that Colt McCoy sucked.. 

Correct. But the B.S. non-call on the helmet-to-helmet at the end when the safety rammed into Reed was a pretty big miss. Its not like the official was watching something else and missed a holding call. Ended the drive and cost us a TD.

Or the previous week at the end of the game when Doctson got undressed by the CB and...no call. Pushed what would've been a chip shot FG to a 64yarder at the end of the game. We lose by 2 points.

Usually, I'm pretty ambivalent about the refs and their effects on the game, but those are two pretty big ones recently involving my team.

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Correct. But the B.S. non-call on the helmet-to-helmet at the end when the safety rammed into Reed was a pretty big miss. Its not like the official was watching something else and missed a holding call. Ended the drive and cost us a TD.

Or the previous week at the end of the game when Doctson got undressed by the CB and...no call. Pushed what would've been a chip shot FG to a 64yarder at the end of the game. We lose by 2 points.

Usually, I'm pretty ambivalent about the refs and their effects on the game, but those are two pretty big ones recently involving my team.

The most fun ones are when they screw up the call on the field, review it, and still screw the call up.

40 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

And Dallas were treated by the same "ref influence", in our last meeting with you guys, with a bogus snap infraction on the FG to send it into overtime. When Dallas Haters in the media are calling that a bad call, then it's definitely bad.  No matter. If Dallas took that 1st game into overtime, I'm not confident they would've won, just like you're not sure that if the Redskins would've scored off that penalty, that they would've ganked the onside and scored again. 

I learned years after the Dez "No-Catch" to stop blaming losses on the refs (especially since they surely would've still lost). The Redskins made the plays they needed to win the game in Fedex and Dallas made enough today to secure the win.

The Chiefs got hosed pretty bad against the Rams and it played a big part in the loss. The Chiefs were on the other end of this against the 49ers to the point where I felt dirty after the game.

Until the NFL goes full time with referees it won't improve. I do think they control the games for a better show or push the NFL's agenda sometimes. 

10 minutes ago, jaa1025 said:

Until the NFL goes full time with referees it won't improve. I do think they control the games for a better show or push the NFL's agenda sometimes. 

I keep hearing this and never looked into it, but these refs aren't full time? I realize that they'd only work 6-7 months out of the year tops, but aren't they compensated enough to not be working some other careers the other 5 months?  I know there were "replacement refs" during that "Fail Mary" year, but aren't these current guys employed the whole season?  Someone clue me in as I keep hearing from a lot of people about this.  The NFL has a ton of money and should throw as much as possible to ensure the best Refs are employed.

10 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

I keep hearing this and never looked into it, but these refs aren't full time? I realize that they'd only work 6-7 months out of the year tops, but aren't they compensated enough to not be working some other careers the other 5 months?  I know there were "replacement refs" during that "Fail Mary" year, but aren't these current guys employed the whole season?  Someone clue me in as I keep hearing from a lot of people about this.  The NFL has a ton of money and should throw as much as possible to ensure the best Refs are employed.

There are full time refs (they were recently made full time like a year ago) but the majority of NFL refs work under the NFLRA union, part time. I.E this isn't their only job and most refs have jobs outside of this, they just do this on the side.

Archived