The Game | GOTW | Week 13 | #4 Michigan @ #10 Ohio State

IDOG_det

GOTW  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

On 11/24/2018 at 6:17 PM, PAW said:

The only thing that hurts Ohio State is the fact Oklahoma will have a chance to avenge their only loss.  

Or the fact it looks straight mediocre against a bunch of teams, and has a significantly worse loss than Oklahoma.

22 hours ago, candyman93 said:

It’s just weird to me. I’ve seen you guys post that: Good wins > Bad losses

Yes.  But a single great doesn't erase an entire season of mediocrity.  Oklahoma beat Iowa State, West Virginia, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Army who had .500 or better records.  Ohio State had TCU, Tulane, Penn State, Minnesota, Michigan State, and Michigan.

22 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

But it's a blowout win against the number one defense in the country; the number four team in the country, whose only loss was against number three Notre Dame week one.

And in my hypothetical, it would be followed by another blowout win in a conference championship game.

But a blowout win against Northwestern is going to weigh significantly less than a win for Oklahoma.  A win (by any margin) against Texas IMO is more impressive because it's a chance for Oklahoma to avenge a loss for Oklahoma.  Granted it took a furious 4th quarter come back, Oklahoma lost by 3 to Texas.  Ohio State lost by 29 to Purdue.

1 minute ago, PAW said:

And Oklahoma hasn’t? 

I'm not saying Oklahoma has looked great.  But if both teams calling cards are great offense, mediocre defense averaging 38 PPG against Nebraska, Michigan State, and Maryland (16-20) than averaging 53 points against Oklahoma State, Kansas, and West Virginia (17-18).  Let me be clear, I don't think either team has a strong statement over the other.  Ohio State clearly has the biggest signature win with their win over Michigan.  I rank the West Virginia and Penn State wins for each team as similar.  Oklahoma has the edge in terms of common opponents (TCU).  And Oklahoma has the "better" loss.  Quite frankly, they should go with 3 teams and give Alabama a bye.

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Quite frankly, they should go with 3 teams and give Alabama a bye

Some would say they'll have one anywayB|

If Milton wasn't injured I'd say put CFU there. Not because they are the 4th best team or have earned, but because I would want that beat down to happen to shut all the people up that actually think they deserve it and even worse a share of last years championship.

I think most would agree OSU sleepwalked through much of the season. I won’t whine and cry if OSU gets left out because that’s on them. Just saying though, OU fans should feel the same. If you do sneak in, feel fortunate. Or unfortunate, given that the 4 gets Bama, who will likely hammer either team (or anyone else). Although I think OU will get the nod if they beat Texas, and don’t really have any complaints with OSU possibly getting left out, I think OU is the least likely of the potential playoff teams to give Bama a game. 

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

Some would say they'll have one anywayB|

If Milton wasn't injured I'd say put CFU there. Not because they are the 4th best team or have earned, but because I would want that beat down to happen to shut all the people up that actually think they deserve it and even worse a share of last years championship.

Had UCF not lost Milton for the rest of the season, I could definitely see an argument.  But I can't see a scenario in which the committee is going to send a Milton-less UCF team to get slaughtered by Alabama.

40 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think most would agree OSU sleepwalked through much of the season. I won’t whine and cry if OSU gets left out because that’s on them. Just saying though, OU fans should feel the same. If you do sneak in, feel fortunate. Or unfortunate, given that the 4 gets Bama, who will likely hammer either team (or anyone else). Although I think OU will get the nod if they beat Texas, and don’t really have any complaints with OSU possibly getting left out, I think OU is the least likely of the potential playoff teams to give Bama a game. 

Maybe it's the homer in me, but I think Oklahoma's offense is enough that they could make things interesting.  I trust Oklahoma's offense quite a bit more.  Oklahoma has scored at least 40 points in all but two games (Iowa State and Army).  Ohio State has had 5 games of less than 40 points.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe it's the homer in me, but I think Oklahoma's offense is enough that they could make things interesting.  I trust Oklahoma's offense quite a bit more.  Oklahoma has scored at least 40 points in all but two games (Iowa State and Army).  Ohio State has had 5 games of less than 40 points.

I'm not denying they have a great offense, but it's hard to judge given the defenses in the Big 12.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

How many defenses were rated to actually being a solid to great defense?

pretty sure When tOSU faced MSU they had the best or a top5 rated run defense. Also Penn st had a solid defense. Where would MSU or PSU rank defensively in they were in the big12?

Also shouldn’t it be 4 times since one game was exactly 40pts. 

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

So heard a good comparison this morning. Harbs is turning into Michigan’s version of John Cooper. 

Harbaugh is playing 12-D chess here. He saw that Urban Meyer is clearing close to dying on the field during the Maryland game, and instead of winning a squeaker he gives Urban just enough life for Nick Saban to murder him during the CFB playoff.

It's smart honestly.

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Harbaugh is playing 12-D chess here. He saw that Urban Meyer is clearing close to dying on the field during the Maryland game, and instead of winning a squeaker he gives Urban just enough life for Nick Saban to murder him during the CFB playoff.

It's smart honestly.

Such a Cooper move...

Archived