The Game | GOTW | Week 13 | #4 Michigan @ #10 Ohio State

IDOG_det

GOTW  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

How many defenses were rated to actually being a solid to great defense?

pretty sure When tOSU faced MSU they had the best or a top5 rated run defense. Also Penn st had a solid defense. Where would MSU or PSU rank defensively in they were in the big12?

Also shouldn’t it be 4 times since one game was exactly 40pts. 

Probably worse.  We keep hearing about how the Big 12 defense is bad, and that's probably true.  But nobody wants to praise them for their offense.   Michigan State might be strong defensively, but offensively they're a joke.  They're T-123rd.  That's not good.  So while they're 14th ranked defense looks good, it's the fact that they're beyond mediocre defensively.

Unfortunately, this I fear, is the exact scenario the committee and ESPN LOVES. Ratings, money, arguments, controversy, someone inevitably getting left out...they live for it. Oklahoma has arguably the best offense in the entire country. They also have an embarrassingly bad defense. OSU has a terrible loss, an up and down team, a cloud of off the field controversy...who knows.

One thing is certain though: If UGA somehow stuns Alabama, they'll let both of them in again.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Unfortunately, this I fear, is the exact scenario the committee and ESPN LOVES. Ratings, money, arguments, controversy, someone inevitably getting left out...they live for it. Oklahoma has arguably the best offense in the entire country. They also have an embarrassingly bad defense. OSU has a terrible loss, an up and down team, a cloud of off the field controversy...who knows.

One thing is certain though: If UGA somehow stuns Alabama, they'll let both of them in again.

If the committee cares about ratings, OSU is already in with a win.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably worse.  We keep hearing about how the Big 12 defense is bad, and that's probably true.  But nobody wants to praise them for their offense.   Michigan State might be strong defensively, but offensively they're a joke.  They're T-123rd.  That's not good.  So while they're 14th ranked defense looks good, it's the fact that they're beyond mediocre defensively.

Ranking wise like would MSU have the best defense in the conference or mid level. That’s what I meant. I know the stats would be worse cause they would be facing better offenses

Just now, buno67 said:

Ranking wise like would MSU have the best defense in the conference or mid level. That’s what I meant. I know the stats would be worse cause they would be facing better offenses

I'll be honest, I think they'd be exposed playing against Big 12 offenses.  Outside of Ohio State, Big 10 offenses are remarkably pedestrian.  You've got Michigan (21st), Penn State (29th), Purdue (43rd), and Iowa (48th) in the top 50.  On the other hand, the Big 12 has Oklahoma (1st), West Virginia (9th), Oklahoma State (14th), Texas Tech (16th), and Texas (46th).  The Big 12 has 4 teams in the top 20 for offense.  The Big 10 has one.

24 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

As long as Tua could play, that's the right call tbh. Bama is far and away the best team in CFB.

I have zero argument with this and have said as much, if their job is to get the "4 best teams" in. What I do have a gripe is the inconsistency of criteria. 2015 OSU is easily one of the four best teams. They crapped the bed and have no one to blame but themselves, but if they're one of the 4 best teams, they should have gotten in.

JMHO

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Which would suck for Clemson.  Would be the second straight year we would have to play the best team when getting the #1 seed.

College football had changed for the worse. Apparently, you’re not allowed to be physically dominant anymore. It’s like everyone had to play like Chip Kelly-era Oregon. 

The only way to win is apparently play like Oklahoma- just be fat and try to outscore any deficiencies.

remember what happened to Oregon againsg Stanford in 2013? Good lu k trying to replicate that today

8 minutes ago, PAW said:

Which would suck for Clemson.  Would be the second straight year we would have to play the best team when getting the #1 seed.

I don't disagree, but at the same point, they've played far and away the biggest cake schedule out there of all contenders/playoff teams. They may be one of the best four teams in the nation, but they sure have had it easy thus far.

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I don't disagree, but at the same point, they've played far and away the biggest cake schedule out there of all contenders/playoff teams. They may be one of the best four teams in the nation, but they sure have had it easy thus far.

I think anyone would prefer a Notre Dame or OU over Bama round 1. At the same time though, it’s almost like playing your title game in the semis. With OSU in 2014, Bama was being talked about like this year’s Bama. I think people have forgotten that (I do think Bama is the best team this year obviously). When Ohio State beat Alabama however, everyone knew they were going to roll through Oregon. If anything, Bama isn’t looming if you play the toughest team first, and that win would give confidence for the championship game. 

Archived