The Game | GOTW | Week 13 | #4 Michigan @ #10 Ohio State

IDOG_det

GOTW  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

I think the discrepancy between OU (6) and OSU (10) heading into today is significant though. Pretty much tells you they haven’t seen the teams similarly even though they have similar resumes and defenses up until today. This Tuesday will tell you all you need to know, but I personally think OSU will need an OU loss. 

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think the discrepancy between OU (6) and OSU (10) heading into today is significant though. Pretty much tells you they haven’t seen the teams similarly even though they have similar resumes and defenses up until today. This Tuesday will tell you all you need to know, but I personally think OSU will need an OU loss. 

Idk, The committee loved Michigan a lot. So to see tOSU destroy them, will be a great look

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If Penn State and Northwestern win today, I think OSU gets in over Oklahoma (if both teams win).

It comes down once again to better win vs. worse loss. The committee has shown to favor the team with the better wins in that scenario.

I'm not sure it's that close.  The only common opponent they had is TCU.  Ohio State won by 12 on a neutral field while Oklahoma won by 25 at TCU, which is going to sit heavy on the Committee's mind IMO.  Plus, there's the whole recent relevance.  In the last 3 wins, they've won by an average of 8.7 points against teams with a combined 15-20.  Meanwhile, the Sooners last 3 wins have been by a combined 6.3 points with a combined record of 17-17.  That's going to stick in the voters' minds as well.  And then there's the whole nagging loss situation.  Oklahoma lost by 3 to Texas whose currently ranked 14th.  Purdue is 6-6 and unranked.  If Ohio State doesn't pass Oklahoma on this ranking, they're going to need Oklahoma to lose to Texas.  Oklahoma has the opportunity to redeem themselves next weekend.

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

That's my thought as well.  If Ohio State doesn't jump Oklahoma this week, they're going to need an Oklahoma loss.  Can't see a scenario in which the committee moves Ohio State past Oklahoma IF Oklahoma beats Texas and Ohio State beats Northwestern.

Bama's gonna make the playoffs whether or not they win their title game because they're one of the best four teams in the country. And the committee seems to favor that rationale.

Could it then be argued (big if) that tOSU is one of the best teams in the country if they blow out Northwestern in the B1G title game? They'd probably be the hottest team in the nation (after Bama) after today's blowout.

I honestly don't know.

54 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure it's that close.  The only common opponent they had is TCU.  Ohio State won by 12 on a neutral field while Oklahoma won by 25 at TCU, which is going to sit heavy on the Committee's mind IMO.  Plus, there's the whole recent relevance.  In the last 3 wins, they've won by an average of 8.7 points against teams with a combined 15-20.  Meanwhile, the Sooners last 3 wins have been by a combined 6.3 points with a combined record of 17-17.  That's going to stick in the voters' minds as well.  And then there's the whole nagging loss situation.  Oklahoma lost by 3 to Texas whose currently ranked 14th.  Purdue is 6-6 and unranked.  If Ohio State doesn't pass Oklahoma on this ranking, they're going to need Oklahoma to lose to Texas.  Oklahoma has the opportunity to redeem themselves next weekend.

Dallas Texas is a neutral site.....?

Oklahoma is in if they win.  Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame are virtual locks as well.  The real wildcard is if Georgia beats Alabama.  Then they both get in, and Oklahoma is out regardless barring a monumental Clemson choke job next weekend.  Ohio State is only in if Alabama wins, and Oklahoma loses.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Oklahoma lost by 3 to Texas whose currently ranked 14th

It should also be pointed out they get the chance to avenge that loss. Won't look as a bad (which it doesn't anyway) if you then go and beat them.

Ultimately I still think it comes down to the fact that Oklahoma's offense at least looked playoff contender all year. OSU had several uninspiring games on both sides. 1 game won't change that, imo.

Archived