The Race for Other NFL Awards Besides MVP

CKS97

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I was going to say the same thing. It's like saying 5 + 5 = 10, but 9 and 11 deserve to be in the conversation.

Yep. People just like to shout out whomever is having a good season on their team. It happened in the MVP thread and surprise surprise, it’s happening here. To be in the conversation, it has to be a debate or an actual discussion (like Brees vs Mahomes). 

On 11/27/2018 at 1:43 PM, tom cody said:

I think I'd give Matt Nagy coach of the year. He's done some good work with that Bears team. 

It's going to either Nagy or Riech depending on their finish and Division record.

At no point should it got to McVay, Payton  or Reid since they we're already front runners for the SB /Playoffs before the season started unless the other two falter down the stretch.

Hell it's why McVay won it last year over Pederson. HC far exceeding expectations while transforming a team out of nowhere. The first two apply.

14 hours ago, riceman80 said:

I hate that Donald has been so unreal this season cuz Mack is having probably his best year yet and has dominated several games. Plus he gets Giants this weekend so he'll probably go off again...

MVP - Drew Brees

OPOY - Pat Mahomes

DPOY - Aaron Donald

CPOY - Andrew Luck

OROY - Saquon Barkley

DROY - Darius Leonard

Coach - this is the hardest one for me. I wanna say Nagy but Fangio deserves alot of that credit fof that team too. Payton should get love. And Frank Reich deserves some love if Colts make the playoffs as well. And of course McVay and Reid should be in the convo. Darkhorse could also be Anthony Lynn if Chargers finish really strong as well.

Nice to see a few good young coaches being infused into the league.

I like this list. 

OPOY - Pat Mahomes (consolation for losing MVP to Drew Brees).

DPOY - Aaron Donald (Both Khalil Mack and JJ Watt are in striking distance).

OROY - Saquan Barkley (with Baker Mayfield closing in hard).

DROY - Darius Leonard (Very crowded field, but Leonard is pretty far ahead).

CBPOY - Andrew Luck (Watt could make this interesting, but Luck is far ahead).

COTY - Sean Payton (The H2H win over Sean McVay will be the icing on the cake in a very tight race).

19 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

In yards we're 20th and the Bears are 4th.

In points we're 20th and the Bears are 2nd.

Donald has 6.5 more sacks, 10 more tackles for loss and 19 more QB hits. The difference in their individual stats is a pro bowl caliber season from an average defender. That doesn't get into other stuff like PFF where Donald has him too.

In DVOA the Bears are 1st, but the Rams are 17th.

And this as the only team in the NFL that has to play both the Chiefs and the Saints - two historically good offenses. If we remove them, the Rams average points per game allowed would be 7th.

Thanks for proving my point for me.  Even the GOAT defender from a below average defense isnt going to win DPOY unless he sets the sack record or something like it.  And go ahead and just look at the numbers.  Be my guest.  Voters dont care only about stats, and they sure as hell dont care about PFFs joke rating.  One guy was the leader of a decent defense last year, was surrounded by ALL WORLD TALENT.  Is having his statistically best year of his career and is the leader of a BAD DEFENSE.  The other guy was dropped into a decent defense a week before the season.  And has been the catalyst for that decent defense to become THE BEST DEFENSE IN THE NFL.  And nobody's going to argue when I say it ain't close. But you go on thinking that Mack is having an average season.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Thanks for proving my point for me.  Even the GOAT defender from a below average defense isnt going to win DPOY unless he sets the sack record or something like it.  And go ahead and just look at the numbers.  Be my guest.  Voters dont care only about stats, and they sure as hell dont care about PFFs joke rating.  One guy was the leader of a decent defense last year, was surrounded by ALL WORLD TALENT.  Is having his statistically best year of his career and is the leader of a BAD DEFENSE.  The other guy was dropped into a decent defense a week before the season.  And has been the catalyst for that decent defense to become THE BEST DEFENSE IN THE NFL.  And nobody's going to argue when I say it ain't close. But you go on thinking that Mack is having an average season.

Except, you know, the last time that Khalil Mack won it, two years ago, on a defense ranked in the exact same spot as the Rams right now (worse in yards, actually, just the same in points.)

It's DPOY, not DMVP. They care way less about the team element for that award.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

OPOY - Pat Mahomes (consolation for losing MVP to Drew Brees).

DPOY - Aaron Donald (Both Khalil Mack and JJ Watt are in striking distance).

OROY - Saquan Barkley (with Baker Mayfield closing in hard).

DROY - Darius Leonard (Very crowded field, but Leonard is pretty far ahead).

CBPOY - Andrew Luck (Watt could make this interesting, but Luck is far ahead).

COTY - Sean Payton (The H2H win over Sean McVay will be the icing on the cake in a very tight race).

I just dont see how it can't be Luck. I know Watt was hurt but few, if anyone, thought Luck would ever play this good again. A year ago some people wondered if he'd ever be a starting QB or even play again.

1 hour ago, riceman80 said:

I just dont see how it can't be Luck. I know Watt was hurt but few, if anyone, thought Luck would ever play this good again. A year ago some people wondered if he'd ever be a starting QB or even play again.

The same questions were coming up with Watt following two serious back injuries the core injury suffered in 2015 and that horrific tibial fracture - nobody assumed he was returning, people were assuming the Texans might even trade or cut him after this season and give the money to Clowney. People assumed Luck was injured due to negligence - with Watt, those injuries were simply catastrophic injuries that few ever return from.

I'll concede that Luck has been more impressive with his return, but the questions following the return were equal.

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I didn't prove your point at all. My point still stands. Until the Bears play the Saints and Chiefs, or offenses anywhere near their caliber (they play the Rams next week so we'll see), then we'll talk.

And even with that, the Bears do NOT have the best defense - see my post above. It's very good, but not the best. And they were top 10 last year, so it's not like Mack joined a team with a terrible defense.

No matter how you slice it Donald has been better than Mack.

33 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I didn't prove your point at all. My point still stands. Until the Bears play the Saints and Chiefs, or offenses anywhere near their caliber (they play the Rams next week so we'll see), then we'll talk.

And even with that, the Bears do NOT have the best defense - see my post above. It's very good, but not the best. And they were top 10 last year, so it's not like Mack joined a team with a terrible defense.

No matter how you slice it Donald has been better than Mack.

Who the hell has a better defense? Do you know why they are #1 on DVOA? Its bc they are at the top or very near in EVERY category. They are the only defense that can make that claim.  Baltimore is #1 in yards, but they are 25th in takeaways with only 8 total on the year.  The Bears are #1 with 29. #2 in yards is Buffalo, they are also 17th in scoring.  #3 is Min.  They are #10 in scoring and #16 in takeaways.  As I said before the Bears are the best D in the league this year and it's just not close.

#4 in yards

#2 in scoring

#10 in pass d

#2 in rush d

#1 in takeaways

Their worse metric is the pass d, which is heavily inflated by the fact they have 4 blowout wins and teams quickly forced to go 1 dimensional.  Nobody else has a case for #1 D remotely close.

Archived