The Race for Other NFL Awards Besides MVP

CKS97

I hate that Donald has been so unreal this season cuz Mack is having probably his best year yet and has dominated several games. Plus he gets Giants this weekend so he'll probably go off again...

MVP - Drew Brees

OPOY - Pat Mahomes

DPOY - Aaron Donald

CPOY - Andrew Luck

OROY - Saquon Barkley

DROY - Darius Leonard

Coach - this is the hardest one for me. I wanna say Nagy but Fangio deserves alot of that credit fof that team too. Payton should get love. And Frank Reich deserves some love if Colts make the playoffs as well. And of course McVay and Reid should be in the convo. Darkhorse could also be Anthony Lynn if Chargers finish really strong as well.

Nice to see a few good young coaches being infused into the league.

1 hour ago, riceman80 said:

I hate that Donald has been so unreal this season cuz Mack is having probably his best year yet and has dominated several games. 

Nothing to hate. Donald deserves it.

In reality Mack has played on a similar level to Donald this year, but has slipped behind statwise due to games missed. That's the nature of the beast. It's also why I hate early season predictions, if you get injured & miss a game or two, you're essentially out of the race.

I just hope he's awarded AP honours this year, because he's been the next best defender behind AD. 

Mack's defense is the best in the NFL and by a considerable margin.  Donald's defense is 26th.  If you think that Donald has it wrapped up, you're going to be really surprised on NFL Honors night.

OROY Quentin Nelson

DROY Leighton Vanderesch

CPOTY Andrew Luck

OPOY Patrick Mahomes

DPOY Khalil Mack

COY Matt Nagy

21 hours ago, BayRaider said:

DPOY definitely Donald.

OPOY Mahomes. Although Brees will get MVP. 

COTY Payton

OROY definitely Barkely. 

DROY This is gonna be tough. Denzel Ward, Derwin James, Roquan Smith, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Vander Esch... all candidates. 

Actually DROY is easy IMO.

Darius Leonard. Leading the NFL in tackles, has 6 sacks and an INT - and a huge reason why the Colts are playing league average defense, which is a big improvement for them.

46 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Mack's defense is the best in the NFL and by a considerable margin.  Donald's defense is 26th.  If you think that Donald has it wrapped up, you're going to be really surprised on NFL Honors night.

OROY Quentin Nelson

DROY Leighton Vanderesch

CPOTY Andrew Luck

OPOY Patrick Mahomes

DPOY Khalil Mack

COY Matt Nagy

In yards we're 20th and the Bears are 4th.

In points we're 20th and the Bears are 2nd.

Donald has 6.5 more sacks, 10 more tackles for loss and 19 more QB hits. The difference in their individual stats is a pro bowl caliber season from an average defender. That doesn't get into other stuff like PFF where Donald has him too.

In DVOA the Bears are 1st, but the Rams are 17th.

And this as the only team in the NFL that has to play both the Chiefs and the Saints - two historically good offenses. If we remove them, the Rams average points per game allowed would be 7th.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:09 AM, ChazStandard said:

Luck has probably nailed-down CPoY at this point, unless Watt goes on a tear down the stretch.

Offensive player of the year is going to be close between Gurley and Hill. I would give it to Gurley at this point.

Defensive player of the year is not a discussion, it's Donald.

Coach of the year - harder to say. Reid/McVay/Payton are the candidates, (Bill O'Brien could be darkhorse, 8 game winstreak and counting).

Stop reading my mind.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:26 AM, Raves said:

Although DPOY is 100% Donald, I would like to see Sheldon Rankins get some love this year in the conversation, much like Cam Jordan did last year.  Dude has been a beast and has like 7 or 8 sacks from DT as well.

I'm sorry, but Rankins has to outside the Top 10 in rankings for DPOY, at this point; he has very little other accompanying actions to support his case.

For instance, I don't even think Donald has it sewn up.  I agree that were the season to end today, he should win it, but I believe there are 6-8 other players that can still make a case and overtake Donald...

The Watt brothers (JJ--45Tkls, 5FF, 6Stfs | TJ--50 Tkls, 4 FF, 5 Stfs), Chris Jones (INT/TD/4 PDs), Von Miller (4 FF, 4 Stfs, 1 INT), and Myles Garrett (3FF, 3PD)

The only thing separating Donald from these guys if 3-5 sacks...which might be a great starting point, but not the end all, be all, of the conversation.

And what about Harrison Smith (59 Tkls, 3 Sacks, 3 INTs, 3 Stfs, 1 FF) or heck, Kiko Alonso (3 Sacks, 95 Tkls, 3 FF, 3 INTs, 6 PDs...too bad he's on a losing team), and my dark horse?  Darius Leonard--(ROY candidate--114 Tkls, 6 Sacks, 4 FF, 2 FR, 1 INT, 3 PDs, and 6 Stfs)--tell me there's a better Rookie!

But actually, I guess you aren't too far off; the voters tend to go for massive amounts of one 'Glory stat', over a combination of great numbers across the board.  If Rankins turns on the jets, and gets another 7-8 sacks in these last few games, he may start garnering more attention.

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Actually DROY is easy IMO.

Darius Leonard. Leading the NFL in tackles, has 6 sacks and an INT - and a huge reason why the Colts are playing league average defense, which is a big improvement for them.

Yeah, like I just mentioned...

Darius Leonard--(114 Tkls, 6 Sacks, 4 FF, 2 FR, 1 INT, 3 PDs, and 6 Stfs)--tell me there's a better Rookie!  Tell me there's one who's even close.

I admit, there are a lot of good defensive rookie this year.

I think Donald, Luck, Barkley, and Brees/Mahomes are big time frontrunners for DPOY, CPOTY, OROY, and MVP/OPOY. It will be hard to unseat them. COTY could go to a number of guys, but I'm leaning towards the underdogs of Nagy or O'Brien. DROY is a total tossup. So many good defensive rookies this year.

Archived