Packers fire Head Coach Mike McCarthy; Joe Philbin named interim HC

IDOG_det

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

In your opinion, it's a better job.  And it absolutely is renegging on a contract.  He signed a contract to coach for USC, plain and simple.  He's now talking about resigning from USC to pursue another job.  That's where the issue lies.  In McDaniels' eyes, he felt that the England OC gig was better than the Indianapolis HC gig, and why are we faulting him for it?  He'll absolutely have to answer questions about it, but I in no way fault him for it.

Right. So if the Packers hire McDaniels and he hires a full staff then decides he doesn't want the gig a few weeks later you'd be perfectly ok with that? Somehow I reallllllllly doubt it.

1 minute ago, Pool said:

Right. So if the Packers hire McDaniels and he hires a full staff then decides he doesn't want the gig a few weeks later you'd be perfectly ok with that? Somehow I reallllllllly doubt it.

I mean if it works out for us the way it worked out for Indy, I'd be absolutely ok with it. 

2 hours ago, Pool said:

lol @ "few weeks"

JMD changed his mind within hours (same day) on the Indy gig after initially agreeing.

Such an overblown story :D

And I should know because when I first heard his name mentioned in GB I thought it was gross because all I knew about JMD was the headlines. So then I read the details and multiple sides of the Denver days and the Indy situation and did a complete 180 on him. The headlines don't reflect reality.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

lol @ "few weeks"

JMD changed his mind within hours (same day) on the Indy gig after initially agreeing.

And I should know because when I first heard his name mentioned in GB I thought it was gross because all I knew about JMD was the headlines. So then I read the details and multiple sides of the Denver days and the Indy situation and did a complete 180 on him. The headlines don't reflect reality.

Pardon me for not fact checking a story from a year ago. Point still stands.

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

lol @ "few weeks"

Technically you are correct as they didnt reach terms until that day, however they had a handshake deal for a few weeks, only reason it waant official is bc they couldnt make it so until after the Superbowl 

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

Technically you are correct as they didnt reach terms until that day, however they had a handshake deal for a few weeks, only reason it waant official is bc they couldnt make it so until after the Superbowl 

And LIS before and my point still stands, these types of "handshake agreements" are made and fall through probably dozens of times across football (NFL and college) every offseason, and certainly thousands of times across all other industries.

This is only a story because Indy pre-maturely announced it.

Nobody would care if that part hadn't happened.

I'm not saying JMD is completely innocent in all of this, but I understand why he did what he did. People look out for their interests first...a LOT.

Plus, if his heart wasn't in the Indy gig after more reflection, he'd be doing Indy a disservice by STAYING there. Being an NFL HC requires you to be all-friggin-in. It was likely a very hard decision to JMD and he was conflicted. I get it. I had something very similar in my real life where one side is going to be disappointed in the decision.

It was an egregious error on Indy's part to announce it before pen hit paper. JMD is certainly at fault for letting it get to the point where Ballard had that sort of confidence he'd be there, but none of us know when the tipping point in JMD's brain happened (other than it happened before he made it official). Up until it's official, I don't fault someone very much.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:09 PM, incognito_man said:

Alternately many pundits and fans were overly dramatic about what happened. I mean the assistant coaches were all like "yeah I wanted to coach here anyway".

Those decisions happen dozens of times every off-season, people just got all emotional about it because the colts prematurely announced it.

Nobody would care at all if the colts FO had waited.

Yes it was overblown in the media. It was not a good move or good look for McD, but people assuming ill intentions and making severe judgments of his character without knowing the whole story were way too frequent. The thread on here about it was a joke.

26 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Yes it was overblown in the media. It was not a good move or good look for McD, but people assuming ill intentions and making severe judgments of his character without knowing the whole story were way too frequent. The thread on here about it was a joke.

I’ll absolutely say it was a bad look for McDaniels but it ends there. People were killing his character and it wasn’t justified at all. The whole Denver thing I put almost no weight into because he was young and bit off way more then he could chew and hopefully learned from the experience. 

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

I’ll absolutely say it was a bad look for McDaniels but it ends there. People were killing his character and it wasn’t justified at all. The whole Denver thing I put almost no weight into because he was young and bit off way more then he could chew and hopefully learned from the experience. 

The problem is, McDaniels has never even been that good of an OC.    That doesnt mean he can never be a good head coach, but I honestly dont know why he is considered such a hot commodity.   I mean, I get that he has "learned" under Belichick, but the fact is, as amazing of a coach as Belichick is, the coaches under him dont usually fair well as Head Coaches.  

If he gets a chance to coach again, so be it, but I dont get why he is considered a top candidate every year.   

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The problem is, McDaniels has never even been that good of an OC.    That doesnt mean he can never be a good head coach, but I honestly dont know why he is considered such a hot commodity.   I mean, I get that he has "learned" under Belichick, but the fact is, as amazing of a coach as Belichick is, the coaches under him dont usually fair well as Head Coaches.  

If he gets a chance to coach again, so be it, but I dont get why he is considered a top candidate every year.   

It's just because he's part of a successful organization. Same thing is happening with Flores, the DC, and the NE defense hasn't even been that great this season. NE coordinators continue to rise at the top of the candidate pool, even though there's now a lengthy history of them not working out as head coaches. I think the most successful has been O'Brien, and it seems like the majority of Texans fans don't like him.

22 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

It's just because he's part of a successful organization. Same thing is happening with Flores, the DC, and the NE defense hasn't even been that great this season. NE coordinators continue to rise at the top of the candidate pool, even though there's now a lengthy history of them not working out as head coaches. I think the most successful has been O'Brien, and it seems like the majority of Texans fans don't like him.

I think this comes down to BB's hiring philosophy - he doesn't see his coordinators as HCs in training, he's not hiring good coaches, he's hiring good coordinators. There's a charisma & leadership angle to head coaching that has never been a requirement on the Patriots coordinators and assistants thanks to their HC/QB combo. It manifests itself in different ways - McDaniels is passionate and smart coach, but you get the impression he's not a leader. Whereas Romeo Crennel is a genius, and his players have always loved him - but he's almost too much of a father figure. Soft on "his guys". A good quality for a DC, not so good for a head coach who has more of a discipline role.

I expect the most successful branch on the BB coaching tree to be Mike Vrabel, to be honest, seems like he as "it" more than any of the coordinators did.

Archived