16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Just now, PackGymRat said:

He has demonstrated major success at both professional and collegiate level.

He can both mentor young players and help Rodgers reach his full potential.

So in terms of experience and success he is not a “major” risk. I assume you are talking about his personality?

His scheme? His personality? I'm talking about it all. His scheme and the way he runs a football program does not at all align with what Aaron Rodgers wants to see. His personality is abrasively arrogant and is a potential clash with Aaron Rodgers. It's too much risk. I would NOT want a Harbaugh signing here. 

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

James Jones says the Packers should hire a defensive minded head coach.  New coach can put his stamp on the defensive side of the ball and Aaron can work with an OC on the offensive side.  Less butting of heads between head coach and signal caller.  I wonder if Aaron told him to say that?

Hiring a defensive coach is just not something that interests me in today's NFL. I'd much rather just hire an offensive coach who lets his DC do his thing and stays out of it. Nagy + Fangio & McVay + Philips model. 

The recent defensive head coaching hires haven't been good. Our best chance of getting back to being a contender is through our offense. 

27 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

Oh here we go another “Sean McVay arguement” just like 5-6 years ago when everyone was looking for the next Pete Carroll.

You and every other GM out there wants to find the next Sean McVay, good luck! if it was that easy you wouldn’t have so many coaches getting fired.

How many Sean McVays are hanging around just waiting to be picked up? If they existed they would have been picked up already.

Rams are a young team with a long term view. Packers are not.

You bring a McVay wannabe and he flounders (like many have) then you are going to waste the last years of Rodgers career.

If we had just drafted a young quarterback I would say go for it, but we don’t have the luxury of trying to find a needle in the haystack type coach.

Haha this is fun. What about everything the Rams did this offseason screams long term??? They are desperate to win now. Why? They know the make up of the team changes once they pay Goff. They also need to be relevant in a market that is fickle. They have a new stadium they need to fill up and sell.

Youre wrong... they are in a worse spot then GB. They don’t have the good ol faithful coming to watch when they are 2-9. They went out and got the best coach.

And GB is a young team and has been... just because Rodgers isn’t doesn’t mean the team isn’t.

Im not saying it’s easy to find the next big thing. I’m saying find the best coach. You automatically think experience and proven is best yet between those 3 only one has a Super Bowl as the guy... how many years have all three been an nfl HC collectively?

Heck Jim can’t buy a championship at this point, John is just like McCarthy in only having one championship over a long tenure and Bruce isn’t interested in GB. So you need other options too.

Im just saying the next headcoach needs to be the best option available.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

James Jones says the Packers should hire a defensive minded head coach.  New coach can put his stamp on the defensive side of the ball and Aaron can work with an OC on the offensive side.  Less butting of heads between head coach and QB.  I wonder if Aaron told him to say that?

interesting perspective. However Rodgers is butting head with whoever is the signal caller. McCarthy or Co-ordinator - its makes no difference imo.

If we do look for a defensive head coach the obvious candidate is Vic Fangio. If we're looking for up and coming guys then Marquand Manuel or Robert Salah should be considered.

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

James Jones says the Packers should hire a defensive minded head coach.  New coach can put his stamp on the defensive side of the ball and Aaron can work with an OC on the offensive side.  Less butting of heads between head coach and QB.  I wonder if Aaron told him to say that?

Aaron is not Peyton. He has a strong mind for the game, but he shouldn’t be calling plays or have too much control.

This season along with previous seasons, I have seen Aaron refuse to acknowledge the blitz that was coming and instead held on to the ball for 10 seconds instead of opting into a screen or check down pass.

Lets be honest, against good teams Aaron has a tendency to hold the ball too long at various points.

My fear is you get a pushover OC and Aaron just does what he wants.

Remember one of Favre’s best years (TD to INT) was near the end of his career when they reigned in his impulsive habits. Aaron’s tends to be hold the ball and take the sack in lieu of an INT.

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

This strategy makes sense to me.

If Aaron is going to but heads, then it is with the coordinator and a level headed head coach can both work as a mediator between the two, and also can maintain rapport with the team in general so that the dispute doesn't get out of control in the locker room.

I don't see them going this way, but if there is a defensive oriented candidate that comes out as the best for the Packers, it could work.

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

McDaniels scares me. It would either be fantastic or absolutely horrible. I'm warming up to him however, along with Jim Harbaugh. That means GB won't hire either of them.

I agree.  They are both on the extremes of the risk/reward spectrum.  Both could be huge successes or extreme failures.

McDaniels scares the **** out of me, and I believe he will be a failure again as a head coach.

8 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

Aaron is not Peyton. He has a strong mind for the game, but he shouldn’t be calling plays or have too much control.

This season along with previous seasons, I have seen Aaron refuse to acknowledge the blitz that was coming and instead held on to the ball for 10 seconds instead of opting into a screen or check down pass.

Lets be honest, against good teams Aaron has a tendency to hold the ball too long at various points.

My fear is you get a pushover OC and Aaron just does what he wants.

Remember one of Favre’s best years (TD to INT) was near the end of his career when they reigned in his impulsive habits. Aaron’s tends to be hold the ball and take the sack in lieu of an INT.

He did whatever he wanted with a 13 year tenured playcaller that has a SB ring and an OC that he is on record saying he loves.

You don’t need a hard nose yelling type. You need a guy that is going to out think Rodgers. The issue is he thinks he is the smartest in the room.

Guys that yell and are hardnose don’t win over those types. Other smarter people do.

Rodgers will respect a guy with schemes and insight... that’s the best path for HC or OC.

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

McDaniels scares me. It would either be fantastic or absolutely horrible. I'm warming up to him however, along with Jim Harbaugh. That means GB won't hire either of them.

I'm torn on McDaniels.  Of those two I'd definitely prefer Harbaugh.  He has at least proven that he can run a program and have a lot of success.  Plus he's pretty much no nonsense, and is a bit of a qb whisperer.  In fact, if Jim Harbaugh wants the Packer gig I think you figure out a way to make it happen. 

McDaniels scares me a little due to what he did with Indianapolis last year. However, he does NOT scare me because of what he did with Denver 9 years ago. I full heartedly expect that situation to have been a reality check for him and something he learned from. He's far too smart to make that mistake again.

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

McDaniels scares me a little due to what he did with Indianapolis last year. However, he does NOT scare me because of what he did with Denver 9 years ago. I full heartedly expect that situation to have been a reality check for him and something he learned from. He's far too smart to make that mistake again.

I was about ready to give him the benefit of the doubt, and then he went pulled that crap in Indy last year and left a bunch of people in the lurch.  Maybe it wasn't all his fault, but the fact that he was involved in it makes me question him.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bleacher Report

1 hour ago, chucknorris101 said:

I mean BR is just reporting the Vegas line. If Vegas knows anything who knows. Probably not.

And NBC Sports and USA Today.  I didn't realize I needed to have multiple sources. 

NFL today is an offense-led league.

If you hire a defensive minded head coach, the very first question they will be asked is about their offensive coordinator and scheme.

That OC gets up and running, has success, and suddenly is the next "hot" name out there for a head coaching position.  That is just how it works right now.

Might as well get ahead of it and hire the offensive minded head coach now, whomever that may be.

Archived