16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

After watching the press conference, I have a hard time believing Murphy and Gute would hire McDaniels. Based totally on the personality of all involved, it doesn't seem like a fit. I don't want to bring up Packer People, but I will anyway because I think it does matter to them

It's a crapshoot at this point as to whether a new coach will be announced before or after the end of our season - or the NFL season - since some great coaching candidates might still be involved in the hunt for the Lombardi trophy.

I don't want to start a separate poll or thread, but I'd like to hear folks' guesses as to what they think will happen.

Will the new coach be named/hired before or after the season ends?

I say before the season ends - just my gut feeling based on the timing of Mac's release.

Listening to ESPN WI, Homer and Gabe show at 3pm.  They talked about the HC job, and to my surprise they made some sense.  Pt #1, it makes no sense to hire a coach to bring in a new system given Rodgers age, time frame would be to long.  #2.  Hire a defensive minded HC, then bring AVP as your OC to please Rodgers and allow the system to stay somewhat the same, but add some new twists.  They thought of hiring Vic Fangio as HC, then get AVP as OC, that would put the pressure on AVP and Rodgers and avoid the HC issues that MM and Rodgers had.   

It was also reported that Joe Philibin will be included as a possible HC.  I don't believe anything has been said about Winston Moss as HC.  I think his days in Green Bay are also over.

Rob DemovskyESPN Staff Writer 

Packers president Mark Murphy is not changing the structure, but he insisted GM Brian Gutekunst will have input. "I'm not going to hire a coach Brian isn't comfortable with," Murphy said.

Mark Murphy doesn't believe the Packers' management structure will be a deterrent to candidates: "There are also a lot of candidates who would rather report to the owner or the president rather than the GM. But Brian and I have a great relationship."

Mark Murphy on why he's best suited to hire the coach instead of GM Brian Gutekunst: "I've been a player, an athletic director for 17 years, I've hired many many coaches, several football coaches. I feel like I'm a football person, even though I'm in a position of president, and I think this gives the Packers the best chance to have success."

YIKES.......:o

22 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Will the new coach be named/hired before or after the season ends?

No.

They may reach agreement with somebody (depending on that persons current obligation) - and that person may reach out to others as potential coaches - but no. They wont supplant the current coaching staff "in season". IMO

13 minutes ago, Chili said:

YIKES.......:o

Did you watch the press conference ? I don't think there is anything yikes about it. How many coaches has Gute hired ? How many interview processes of any capacity has he led ? Gute has no experience with a good portion of football operations. He still has a lot to learn, and from what I heard, I have little reservation that two heads are better than one in this case. A blend of old school and new school collaborating to make the best choice. If you want to worry about something, worry about the fact that smart people have been hiring gurus and genius' since forever as head coaches and the fail rate is high regardless. Make fun of him all you want, but Murphy has been around and is a pretty smart guy.

Who hired Gute ?

Archived