16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Just now, incognito_man said:

Honestly though, there's a part of me that would be damn excited to see what McD could do with Rodgers...

McDaniels is the biggest risk, yet the highest reward. 

McDaniels could as easily coach us to two Super Bowl wins in Aaron's final years as he could be gone in two years after turning us into a dumpster fire. 

I just strongly dislike him as a human. 

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

In my view any head coach hire has to be made with Rodgers in mind rather than the long term future of the Packers in mind. Controversial yes but logically it makes sense.

Understatement of the year. 

Of course this is the number one thing on the list. They just gave Rodgers the largest contract ever... they need a coach that will maximize Rodgers now and moving forward.

The next head coach, ideally, sees Rodgers retirement or the trading of him. Given the contract the packers want it to be the retirement.

This greatly limits GBs potential options. As much as I think a Riley or Kingsbury etc would be interesting, as that’s where the nfl is headed... Does anyone think Rodgers is taking marching orders from a guy younger than him or his age? Only way that happens is if the guy comes in and schools Aaron on the whiteboard on schemes and impresses him.

But the old war horses aren’t likely to succeed either. Harbaugh and Arians are going to fight with Rodgers worse than McCarthy. And I don’t know if either brings an “innovative offense” with them. Unless they hire one as their OC and play the CEO of the team and force Rodgers to play nice.

its why I think McDaniels, at least for now, has all the smoke on him. Because he can be both. Still seen as the young wonder boy yet has the years with Tom Brady to handle a Rodgers.

Its a weird tough spot. Ultimately it’s highly  likely the coach is an offense guy that will need to make Rodgers... Rodgers again.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Certainly this much was known, but to ditch the Indy job on the off-chance that Mac and the Packers stumble in 2018 isn't a wager most smart people would make.  Just doesn't add up in my mind as a reason that McDaniels returned to New England.

He may not have been banking on it happening this year, but maybe just saw it as a possibility for which reason going back to NE as OC became more attractive than marrying himself to Indy gig -- easier to leave the former, and if it doesn't happen while OC'ing in NE, the prospect of inheriting the HC position there is not a bad Plan B.

I'm not going to defend him ditching Indy because it was pretty sleazy, but then I can't blame someone for not getting more excited about picturing their long-term career and life in a place like that, either. He shouldn't have committed if he was not, you know, committed, but with Luck's future up-in-the-air and Indianapolis being a bit of a dump... hard to blame him.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Hey you may be right, but clearly the NFL is more prestigious gig outside maybe the SE United States and a few other pockets. NFL is king.

It's not just the South East, it's basically the entire Southern United States from Florida to California, with Ohio, and Michigan thrown in for good measure.

NFL is really only king in the Northeast, and Northwest with the Midwest basically being split.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Hey you may be right, but the NFL is more prestigious gig outside maybe the SE United States and a few other pockets. NFL is king.

The Packers job just isn't any random job either. This isn't like leaving to go to Jax or Buffalo. 

He’s the thing for me about McDnaiels. The guy is a Dbag. But he’s a good coach who happens to be a Dbag and a bit shady.

Bill Bellichek is also a Dbag who is  shady.

but they have had a ton of success together and I’d be interested to see what Possibly Bellicheks most decorated assistant could do with #12.

39 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

McDaniels is the biggest risk, yet the highest reward. 

McDaniels could as easily coach us to two Super Bowl wins in Aaron's final years as he could be gone in two years after turning us into a dumpster fire. 

I just strongly dislike him as a human. 

yep.

i would defenitely do high risk/high reward with Aarons last few prime years.

if it works, great.

if not, blow it up and start again using a measured approach

He’s the thing for me about McDnaiels. The guy is a Dbag. But he’s a good coach who happens to be a Dbag and a bit shady.

but they have had a ton of success together and I’d be interested to see what Possibly Bellicheks most decorated assistant could do with #12.

Then let the campaign be started!

Hire the D-bag! :)

All I care about is winning, so I'm okay with a D-bag coach if he can bring home the goods.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not just the South East, it's basically the entire Southern United States from Florida to California, with Ohio, and Michigan thrown in for good measure.

NFL is really only king in the Northeast, and Northwest with the Midwest basically being split.

I really think that’s some annectdotal stuff there . Just look at the TV ratings, NFL continues to kill it and shows no signs of stopping the growth.

Archived