16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Hey guys, another name that doesn't seem to be getting any love is Dave Toub, ST/Asst. HC in Kansas City.  The players in Chicago wanted him to be HC for them instead of John Fox, that's why he left for KC.  Players love playing for him and would also fix the ST in Green Bay.  

Haven't talked to anyone from the Packers yet today, but did have an interesting chat with an executive from an NFC team. He knows I'm a die hard Packers fans and unprompted he says, "So McDaniels is headed to Green Bay to pair up with Rodgers. Pretty much our worst nightmare, but I bet you're excited?" I asked is that for real? He said that people are talking about it like its a foregone conclusion. Added that the potential Green Bay opening factored into McDaniels pulling out of Indy. There was the uncertainty with Luck's shoulder, Gutekunst getting the job (I'm not sure what the connection is), and the chance to win with Rodgers that was enticing enough to put off taking a HC job for another year. Implied that the whole league knew McCarthy was a lame duck going in and this was his final year. Again, the purpose of these calls is to answer questions relating to findings on a year-long training study released to teams today. Before I could ask more he shifted to the study and that was the focus of the remainder of our call.

This doesn't much up with anything I've heard from my guy with the Packers in past conversations. He hasn't ever muttered the name Josh McDaniels, good or bad, candidate or non-candidate. I'm anxious to hear from him but nothing yet.

4 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I want to know more about Matt Campbell, why him? I am not saying he can’t do the job but what makes you confident he can? I worry about someone who is so young without NFL experience handling the twilight of Rodgers’ career. I should rephrase that... someone who hasn’t had the opportunity to push his teams back up after a down year or push them through the plateau to new heights. The Packers have been to the top, how does he do when the expectations are high on him? Toledo and Iowa State are not powers in their conferences and while he has had some success with them he hasn’t had that tough adversity or tenure with them to show that he can lead the team through tough times.

I like that he comes from a smaller school that doesn't get the premier talent other programs get, yet he continues to produce. He also comes from a football family and has shown a tireless work ethic at every place he has been. He comes across as a people person who would do ok in the small market in GB. GB is a unique city and can be tough for some folks to live in. I also think he has a savant like mind for football. You can tell that he eats, breathes, and dreams football. I know many candidates fall into these groups as well but for me my favorite is Campbell. I feel like he has the mental toughness to work in GB and maximize Rodgers ability in the twilight of his career.

3 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Haven't talked to anyone from the Packers yet today, but did have an interesting chat with an executive from an NFC team. He knows I'm a die hard Packers fans and unprompted he says, "So McDaniels is headed to Green Bay to pair up with Rodgers. Pretty much our worst nightmare, but I bet you're excited?" I asked is that for real? He said that people are talking about it like its a foregone conclusion. Added that the potential Green Bay opening factored into McDaniels pulling out of Indy. There was the uncertainty with Luck's shoulder, Gutekunst getting the job (I'm not sure what the connection is), and the chance to win with Rodgers that was enticing enough to put off taking a HC job for another year. Implied that the whole league knew McCarthy was a lame duck going in and this was his final year. Again, the purpose of these calls is to answer questions relating to findings on a year-long training study released to teams today. Before I could ask more he shifted to the study and that was the focus of the remainder of our call.

This doesn't much up with anything I've heard from my guy with the Packers in past conversations. He hasn't ever muttered the name Josh McDaniels, good or bad, candidate or non-candidate. I'm anxious to hear from him but nothing yet.

"Added that the potential Green Bay opening factored into McDaniels pulling out of Indy."

The sentence above tells me this guy you spoke with knows very little.  Mac's job wasn't really in question before the start of season when McDaniels pulled out of Indy, he knew of Luck's shoulder issues before he took the job, and most folks know he stayed with Belichick because he was offered a very lucrative counter offer.  Something just doesn't smell right here.

7 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

"Added that the potential Green Bay opening factored into McDaniels pulling out of Indy."

The sentence above tells me this guy you spoke with knows very little.  Mac's job wasn't really in question before the start of season when McDaniels pulled out of Indy, he knew of Luck's shoulder issues before he took the job, and most folks know he stayed with Belichick because he was offered a very lucrative counter offer.  Something just doesn't smell right here.

I would agree with you that he doesn't have any inside knowledge of what's going on in Green Bay. He didn't imply as much. What struck me was how flippantly he said McDaniels was headed to Green Bay. He also was matter of fact about McCarthy being a lame duck going into this season. I think it's safe to characterize all things he said as nothing more than his perception.

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

The fact that Murphy said Gute didn't have the ability to fire MM, makes me think Gute may have wanted to. The link to Gute and McDaniel's goes back to when Gute was trying to get the 49er GM job. From what I read it was assumed that if Gute was hired, McDaniels would be the HC. Gute was named GM of the Pack in January, and McDaniels backed out of the Colts job in February. Timelines aren't that far apart.

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Wouldn't you concede that there is a difference between what we know and what Mark Murphy and Brian Gutenkinst knows?

And McCarthy is fired faster than ANY of us would have guessed possible.

HC Lincoln Riley/ consolation Mike Leach

OC Kliff Kingsburry

DC Mike Pettine

QB Coach Graham Harrell

ST Coach Jeff Brohm

maybe try to get Crabtree to show WRs the ropes.

AIR RAID baby...

https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/14/17685080/air-raid-offense-mike-leach-lincoln-riley

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/sports/oklahoma-sooners-lincoln-riley-mike-leach.html

One name that hasn't been brought up in this thread:  Dabo Sweeney

If he wins another CFP championship, maybe jumping to the NFL would be the next logical step?  If it doesn't work out, he can always go back to the college ranks.

Or lets get a June Jones disciple and go Run and Shoot, no need to spend on TE's then.

Some Mike Leach/Chip Kelly/June Jones Hybrid.......

Draft Paris Campbell and go 1RB/4WR or 5WR the whole game......

Rodgers could get some records....

10 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I also think it's interesting that he said McDaniels to Green Bay was their "worst nightmare". I would have loved to hear more about why he felt that way.

McDaniels for all his schematic brilliance does not work well with people. That was his problem in Denver. 

20 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

The 1 year extension that MM got last offseason after Gutekunst was named GM was seen by many as an indication that MM was on a short leash as the HC in GB.

9 minutes ago, Howler said:

McDaniels for all his schematic brilliance does not work well with people. That was his problem in Denver. 

I worded that poorly so to be clear, he was saying it was his team's worst nightmare if McDaniels went to Green Bay, not that it would be a nightmare for Green Bay. Though I can certainly understand why people could see it either way, lol.

Archived