16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Well he almost left New England for the Colts, so... It's not completely unheard of. 

He's with NE now?
I lost track of him after he left DEN for health reasons. Thought he was done at that time actually.

Oh - you talking about McDaniels or Kubiak?
I thought you were talking about Kubiak.
My bad.

Just now, Leader said:

He's with NE now?
I lost track of him after he left DEN for health reasons. Thought he was done at that time actually.

Oh - you talking about McDaniels or Kubiak?
I thought you were talking about Kubiak.
My bad.

Yeah, I was talking about McDaniels.  But there are rumors Kubiak is coming back to the NFL.  Kubiak isn't all that old.  He's two years older than McCarthy. 

4 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

You are clearly mistaken here.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/remember-when-bill-belichick-quit-as-hc-of-the-nyj-after-one-day/

Belichick took the Jets job was even introduced as their coach, quit to go to the Patriots as an assistant after one day. Seems pretty similar to what McDaniels did if you ask me...

Don't think I'm mistaken.  Bill Belichick did not quit to become an assistant in New England in 2000.  He coached with the Jets from 97-99.  He resigned from the Jets HC position after one day and accepted the HC & GM job in New England.   

I don't view it as similar because Bellichick was getting a promotion.  He also didn't screw over a half dozen families by lying to them. 

I can't believe I'm defending the morals of Bill Bellichick given his eagerness to cheat.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I was talking about McDaniels.  But there are rumors Kubiak is coming back to the NFL.  Kubiak isn't all that old.  He's two years older than McCarthy. 

True - but he had some serious health meltdowns last time he walked a sideline.......
And honestly (although I'm not that I'm an expert calibrator of HC talents....) - I wasnt all that impressed before he did.

For me it comes down to McDaniels being a crappy human being.  I can't ignore his past indiscretions because he's a good offensive coordinator.  Maybe character and morals don't matter to some as long as they have a "win at all cost" attitude.  Whether it's by cheating or employing terrible people (ie Adam Jones, Kareem Hunt, Leonard Little, Gregg Hardy, Ray Rice, ect....).

Just now, jleisher said:

Harbaugh would also want some GM options or control on player personnel. 

I agree.  Bad mix.  Would take a Gruden-esk type of deal to get Harbaugh from Michigan.  He'd want full control of the roster IMO.

Just now, SSG said:

Don't think I'm mistaken.  Bill Belichick did not quit to become an assistant in New England in 2000.  He coached with the Jets from 97-99.  He resigned from the Jets HC position after one day and accepted the HC & GM job in New England.   

I don't view it as similar because Bellichick was getting a promotion.  He also didn't screw over a half dozen families by lying to them. 

I can't believe I'm defending the morals of Bill Bellichick given his eagerness to cheat.

He was an assistant on the Jets from 97-99 under Parcells. Parcells left, they named Bill the coach, the next day he resigned. A few weeks later he accepted the HC position at NE (I was wrong on the assistant part, my bad). He was not named the GM then, that would be Scott Pioli. 

He backed out of a commitment for a lateral move. Either way he left assistants behind after one day on the job, which is your main gripe with McDaniels. 

Archived