16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

I would be most excited about David Shaw from Stanford. It would be a dream because he’s at his alma mater but he has a great pedigree, from his Dad coaching in the league to being a player at Stanford coached by Dennis Green and Bill Walsh to success as an assistant with the Ravens (under Brian Billick) and Raiders (under Gruden), was Harbaugh’s OC at Stanford until taking over as head coach(Andrew Luck, RB’s McCaffrey and Toby Gerhart, TE’s: Ertz, Fleener, Hooper, among other Doug baldwin, Ty Montgomery, Blake Martinez. His units have set and reset again many school records. Runs a Pro Style offense but mixes in a bunch of flair to utilize player strengths. He’s still in his 40’s, family man with integrity and morals. Obviously I’m a big fan of him.

3 hours ago, St Vince said:

Take McDaniels off the list guys he's not leaving NE. He wants to be coach and GM like Bill and will be handed that when Bill steps down. Like some have said him and Rodgers egos and personalities may not click.

Cutler demanded a trade when he took the Denver job and never played a snap under Josh. He may be a good coordinator but that doesn't mean he's a good leader.

You sure about that? This is from one of the most dialed in NFL writers out there...

https://sports.yahoo.com/josh-mcdaniels-candidacy-look-like-replace-packers-mike-mccarthy-052613311.html

"A handful of NFL assistant coaches have indicated interest in joining a McDaniels-led coaching staff in Green Bay. So much so that at least one has pulled out of consideration for a college coordinator position"

23 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25438836/answering-biggest-questions-packers-firing-mike-mccarthy-2018-nfl

Perhaps Murphy will return to that power structure. If so, one league source said he expected Gutekunst to want a "no-nonsense guy." The source said Gutekunst has long been a fan of Jim Harbaugh, the current Michigan coach and former 49ers coach.

I'm a huge Jim Harbaugh fan (I'm a Michigan fan) but I think this would be a terrible fit.  While he had success in San Fran he also had players who were willing to quit football to get away from him.  I don't think his intensity is a great fit for the NFL as it wears pro's thin. 

Also think he may be out of our price range.  Michigan has the funds and motivation to write him a blank check for money and years.  Don't see Green Bay making the Jon Gruden type on investment that might be required. 

I’m torn because I think a Jim Harbaugh type is needed, to stand up to Rodgers and get him on track. But the nfl is clearly evolving into college football with the offenses and I think some young offensive minded coach will likely be the hire.

rather that’s McDaniels, Riley, Kingsbury, etc.

25 minutes ago, SSG said:

Nothing about the disaster that happened in South Beach would lend me to agree that Joe Philibin is a qualified head coach.  Edgar Bennett isn't even qualified to fully run an offense much less a team.  I'd call him a failure in Oakland given the lack of performance by his position group (ie failed miserably with Amari Cooper who's been a new WR since getting away from that mess).

Hehe.

For all the notoriety of the Belichick coaching tree, McCarthy's tree (insofar as it exists) is even worse.

7 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

Hehe.

For all the notoriety of the Belichick coaching tree, McCarthy's tree (insofar as it exists) is even worse.

The reason why is the elements that made those situations special can’t  easily be recreated.

Belichick and McCarthy had Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers...

Coaches tried to do the Belichick thing but when you aren’t winning, getting yelled at and pushed harder and harder doesn’t work. Plus it takes time to get the guys that can handle that consistently. And McCarthy was the play caller and Rodgers was his QB, during their prime that group didn’t need coaching or scheme... they just out played people, hard to recreate with bad talent (Philbin + MacDoo).

i think i would be pretty happy with mcdaniels.  wouldn't mind rex as long as we got a really good OC.  honestly wouldn't mind kubiac at all.  that's it for the pro candidates.  don't know enough about any of the college candidates (except harbough, meh) to get excited.  if we hired a mastermind college offensive mind i guess i would be excited.

17 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I’m torn because I think a Jim Harbaugh type is needed, to stand up to Rodgers and get him on track. But the nfl is clearly evolving into college football with the offenses and I think some young offensive minded coach will likely be the hire.

rather that’s McDaniels, Riley, Kingsbury, etc.

I don't think the offense's issue is because no one will "stand up to Rodgers".   While he isn't playing like the god that is required to have a serviceable Mike McCarthy offense he's not the problem with the offense.  We need a coach who puts him in the best situation to win regardless how he's playing.  He shouldn't need to walk on water every week to have a serviceable offense. 

Whether you like it or not we HAVE to consider McDaniels as he is one of the TOP head coaching candidate. His record speaks for itself and runs a innovative and balanced offence with strong playcalling.

When Gute interviewed for the 49ers GM position I understand as part of the process he interviewed McDaniels and that they both were extremely close to landing the gig.

Imo I would rather have an NFL co-ordinator to be our next head coach rather than the next hot college hire. Running an NFL team is a different kettle of fish. There's all kind of rules and front office, coaching staff and locker room dynamics that college coaches are not familar with. For a young college coach this can take a few seasons to get used to and I'd argue that we don't have a few seasons and that we need to hit the ground running with a new head coach. There's the whole Rodgers factor and the type of person needed to handle a vastly experienced and cerebral QB with an ego. Thats why a coach from the NFL is ideal.

McDaniels and Charmichael high on my list.

37 minutes ago, SSG said:

I'm a huge Jim Harbaugh fan (I'm a Michigan fan) but I think this would be a terrible fit.  While he had success in San Fran he also had players who were willing to quit football to get away from him.  I don't think his intensity is a great fit for the NFL as it wears pro's thin. 

Also think he may be out of our price range.  Michigan has the funds and motivation to write him a blank check for money and years.  Don't see Green Bay making the Jon Gruden type on investment that might be required. 

I thought I read some reports of JH "softening" just a bit on the overall level of intensity, too.

I still think he'd be a great fit here...

8 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't think the offense's issue is because no one will "stand up to Rodgers".   While he isn't playing like the god that is required to have a serviceable Mike McCarthy offense he's not the problem with the offense.  We need a coach who puts him in the best situation to win regardless how he's playing.  He shouldn't need to walk on water every week to have a serviceable offense. 

And do you think Jim is that guy? Everyone complains about old offenses. Harbaugh is at his best when he is running a hard nose running offense and a top flight defense.

I think that will drive Aaron mad. I think he wants a McDaniels or a mcvay type.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm going to reserve the right to soften my stance on McDaniels a bit. I did a little more reading on the situation and the reality isn't quite as bad as the media storm let on IMO.

Same here ... he's clearly one of the top two or three candidates out there.  We'd be silly not to interview the guy.

Archived