16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

40 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Haven't talked to anyone from the Packers yet today, but did have an interesting chat with an executive from an NFC team. He knows I'm a die hard Packers fans and unprompted he says, "So McDaniels is headed to Green Bay to pair up with Rodgers. Pretty much our worst nightmare, but I bet you're excited?" I asked is that for real? He said that people are talking about it like its a foregone conclusion. Added that the potential Green Bay opening factored into McDaniels pulling out of Indy. There was the uncertainty with Luck's shoulder, Gutekunst getting the job (I'm not sure what the connection is), and the chance to win with Rodgers that was enticing enough to put off taking a HC job for another year. Implied that the whole league knew McCarthy was a lame duck going in and this was his final year. Again, the purpose of these calls is to answer questions relating to findings on a year-long training study released to teams today. Before I could ask more he shifted to the study and that was the focus of the remainder of our call.

This doesn't much up with anything I've heard from my guy with the Packers in past conversations. He hasn't ever muttered the name Josh McDaniels, good or bad, candidate or non-candidate. I'm anxious to hear from him but nothing yet.

I would honestly be ill

14 minutes ago, Howler said:

McDaniels for all his schematic brilliance does not work well with people. That was his problem in Denver. 

I feel him being a terrible GM was his problem in Denver....

I mean a first for Tebow highlights that. You can be terrible, if you win, people will learn to deal. Objectively Rodgers seems like he is a nightmare to play with (ala Kobe, MJ, etc) but that’s the price you pay for playing next to greatness.

Belichick and Saban, the two most successful modern coaches in football, objectively are probably 2 of the worse to play for/work with. They win though, so the results justify the means.

if McDaniels wins and wins a Super Bowl in GB... no one will care about his personality or how he goes about his job. He could be a terrible person, if he wins that’s good for business.

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The 1 year extension that MM got last offseason after Gutekunst was named GM was seen by many as an indication that MM was on a short leash as the HC in GB.

Certainly this much was known, but to ditch the Indy job on the off-chance that Mac and the Packers stumble in 2018 isn't a wager most smart people would make.  Just doesn't add up in my mind as a reason that McDaniels returned to New England.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Certainly this much was known, but to ditch the Indy job on the off-chance that Mac and the Packers stumble in 2018 isn't a wager most smart people would make.  Just doesn't add up in my mind as a reason that McDaniels returned to New England.

I thought about this too. I rationalized it as concern about Luck's shoulder was first and foremost and knowing other attractive jobs would be there in the future was what made him comfortable passing on Indy. No idea what the reference to Gute was about.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

**** it, if we're throwing out Dabo, Saban or busy!!!

Why would any top of the line college coach leave where they are? The money is way better. In large swathes of the country, college is even more prestigious than the pros.

Yeah the idea of Jim Harbaugh walking away from $9 million to take a pay cut in Green Bay doesn't seem likely. The Packers sure as heck aren't ponying up more than 9 mil.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why would any top of the line college coach leave where they are? The money is way better. In large swathes of the country, college is even more prestigious than the pros.

Agreed.  College coaches are like GM and HC.  They have a ton of power at their respective universities.  They have the ability to treat players far differently for the 3-5 years that a player is there and then those players move on.  Their is an option to "run off" a bad recruit if it was a mistake and no cap hit or loss of resources (scholarships).  

Just imagine the scenario where Joe Philbin takes the Packers to the playoffs thanks to miraculous collapses by a couple other teams and unexpected wins against the Falcons, Bears, Jets and Lions, then wins two playoff games and has to get hired as head coach. 

That's a nightmare scenario.  Philbin as our head coach.  Yikes.  I don't think I've ever seen a coach so out of touch with players. 

27 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I thought about this too. I rationalized it as concern about Luck's shoulder was first and foremost and knowing other attractive jobs would be there in the future was what made him comfortable passing on Indy. No idea what the reference to Gute was about.

Gute and McDaniels where almost the GM and HC tandem for the 9ers not too long ago.

Think they even had a meeting together about it. Could be wrong on this.

23 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Just imagine the scenario where Joe Philbin takes the Packers to the playoffs thanks to miraculous collapses by a couple other teams and unexpected wins against the Falcons, Bears, Jets and Lions, then wins two playoff games and has to get hired as head coach. 

That's a nightmare scenario.  Philbin as our head coach.  Yikes.  I don't think I've ever seen a coach so out of touch with players. 

Absolutely don’t want Philbin but him being out of touch with the players is wrong from about every account I’ve read. Most say the players and even Rodgers live him

41 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because it's a new challenge and these guys are driven by that sort of stuff  There is absolutely nothing for a guy like Saban to a prove at Bama.

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Haven't talked to anyone from the Packers yet today, but did have an interesting chat with an executive from an NFC team. He knows I'm a die hard Packers fans and unprompted he says, "So McDaniels is headed to Green Bay to pair up with Rodgers. Pretty much our worst nightmare, but I bet you're excited?" I asked is that for real? He said that people are talking about it like its a foregone conclusion. Added that the potential Green Bay opening factored into McDaniels pulling out of Indy. There was the uncertainty with Luck's shoulder, Gutekunst getting the job (I'm not sure what the connection is), and the chance to win with Rodgers that was enticing enough to put off taking a HC job for another year. Implied that the whole league knew McCarthy was a lame duck going in and this was his final year. Again, the purpose of these calls is to answer questions relating to findings on a year-long training study released to teams today. Before I could ask more he shifted to the study and that was the focus of the remainder of our call.

This doesn't much up with anything I've heard from my guy with the Packers in past conversations. He hasn't ever muttered the name Josh McDaniels, good or bad, candidate or non-candidate. I'm anxious to hear from him but nothing yet.

Are you joe arrigo or what? ;)

In my view any head coach hire has to be made with Rodgers in mind rather than the long term future of the Packers in mind. Controversial yes but logically it makes sense. We need to milk every ounce of Rodgers left and in my view that can only be done with a talented yet experienced coach. Also since the NFL heavily a pass-orientated league our hire must be an offensive coach.

Rodgers QB fundamentals has been all over the place this season and I think he is in dire need of a coach with an excellent record working with QBs, especially older QBs. McDaniels had Brady and Carmichael had Brees and they have consistently helped to bring the best out of them at an extremely high level running innovative offensive schemes. A coach like that will give Rodgers the high level coaching he needs and will help motivate and refocus him for the final stretch of his career. They have been part of elite coaching setups and experienced the highs and lows of the NFL. These two should know exactly what it takes to succeed in the NFL. Bringing in that kind of experience to Green Bay would be invaluable and most importantly they both will bring an outside perspective different to what McCarthy currently offered to Green Bay and rejuvenating the team immediately.

Outside the NFL the only candidate I can see with the track record and QB background to work with Rodgers is Jim Harbaugh. Now the question we need to ask is their personality fit. Can the fiery Harbaugh and egoistic Rodgers work together? i'm not so sure. Will he leave Michigan for Green Bay, who knows but the competitor in him might want to return to the NFL and the Packers job might be very attractive for him however I fear he may be too demanding causing us to shy away from him. He's certainly capable of a Pete Carroll-like NFL comeback and he in a unique position of having knowledge of who the best college players are and that can invaluable toward our roster building.

So at the very top of the list must be McDaniels, Carmichael and Jim Harbaugh.

Everyone else has some various flaws eg. too young, too old, unproven, no QB background, no nfl experience etc.. Those three candidates are just right in the Goldilocks zone.

I know lots of people wants the next McVay and get some young innovative college head coach or NFL co-ordinator but is it RIGHT for us? I honestly don't think so. Young coaches generally need time and they need a young QB to mold and build a team to their way of playing and vision as well as dealing with all the outside stuff that a head coach has to deal with in the NFL, it's a huge step up and it will take time for them to get used to it. So unless he's highly respected in the NFL I don't think Rodgers will listen to a young head coach. Not only that since they are inexperienced in NFL terms they may not have developed the required contacts and relationships to build a excellent coaching staff.  Nearly all of the college head coach candidates spent their entire careers in college football and because of that i remain unconvinced that any of them can build a high level NFL calibre coaching staff. Carmichael for example could bring in Dan Campbell and Joe Lombardi on his coaching staff, that's the difference.

Archived