16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The alternative sucks just as much.  Give them the ball on the 1 yard line for fumbling the ball? 

Would we then eliminate a safety if the ball is fumbled in the back of your own end zone? 

The rule doesn't suck.  If you can score a TD by breaking the plane of the goal line, the defense needs to be allowed a turnover by the ball breaking the plane of the end zone without being in possession of the offense. 

Florio is vile - he riles up his band of Viking fan trolls who attack every Packer article.  I’ve actually seen you in those Packer articles slaying trolls left and right!  Keep up the good fight - we appreciate your efforts.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Florio is vile - he riles up his band of Viking fan trolls who attack every Packer article.  I’ve actually seen you in those Packer articles slaying trolls left and right!  Keep up the good fight - we appreciate your efforts.

Lol, I've actually never responded in the comments there.  Must be another hero out there somewhere.  I did find out that somebody on a different forum literally stole at least one Aaron Rodgers post of mine word for damn word.  I signed up on the site just to tell everybody that he stole it from me, and I think I got banned and haven't been able to see the responses. 

This is the only place I actually talk about football. 

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol, I've actually never responded in the comments there.  Must be another hero out there somewhere.  I did find out that somebody on a different forum literally stole at least one Aaron Rodgers post of mine word for damn word.  I signed up on the site just to tell everybody that he stole it from me, and I think I got banned and haven't been able to see the responses. 

This is the only place I actually talk about football. 

Wow, yeah, I’ve seen some fantastic posts on PFT by someone called Outpost31. 

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Wow, yeah, I’ve seen some fantastic posts on PFT by someone called Outpost31. 

Are you serious?  Because I guarantee it's not me.  Next time you find one, let me know.  People stealing myself really upsets myself. 

From AcmePacking:

"The Packers could believe keeping Philbin represents an opportunity for continuity. Rodgers is in the back stretch of his career and learning an entirely new offense may be unduly cumbersome. Green Bay just invested a lot of resources in new offensive pieces and changing the terms of the offense may set back the development of talented young players like Equanimeous St. Brown and Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Unlike McCarthy, Philbin has the support of the players in the locker room, with myriad guys coming forward to say they bought into their interim head coach’s message right from the start. The fire and intensity does appear to be ratcheted up even if the level of play hasn’t been consistently higher.

And keeping Philbin in place would allow the Packers to justify retaining Mike Pettine who, when this defense was healthy, injected some much needed verve into a unit lacking it for years. Much like on offense, there’s a value to continuity, especially in this defense.

What may really be the clincher though, would be if Philbin is able to lure Zac Taylor away from the Los Angeles Rams. Taylor, a trendy OC coaching name on his own, he ties to the Packers organization and Philbin in particular. Taylor was a graduate assistant under for Packers coach Mike Sherman at Texas A&M before joining Philbin’s staff in Miami as the assistant quarterbacks coach. The 35-year-old coach was promoted twice with the Dolphins, first to QB coach, then to OC in Philbin’s final season with the Dolphins.

Taylor’s pedigree, raised with the bones of the Packers offense, mixed with his college experience and time with an innovator like McVay, represents precisely the type of tweaking this offense requires. A young, progressive thinker could re-engage Rodgers mentally, building new concepts and innovations into an offense this team already knows.

McVay loves to use 11 personnel with three receivers and a tight end, as do the Packers, but the Rams disguise it much better with pre-snap motion, bunch formations and spacing advantages. Their play action game has been the best in football under McVay with a commitment to the run game Rodgers has been begging for.

This scenario may simply be kicking the can down the line a bit further, but it also represents a quick fix. It’s not unthinkable to suggest Taylor could be a Josh McDaniels-esque figure with Joe Philbin set to turn 58 this offseason. Make a run at some titles the next two years and if the offense really pops, but they come up short, simply promote Taylor to HC and the creative hotshot coach many want the Packers to hire this offseason steps forward with institutional knowledge already built in.

Any scenario where Philbin remains would be short-sighted, potentially by design. Replace the engine in the car to squeeze a couple more miles in hope of making that trip to the Super Bowl. If it comes up short, just buy a new car in a few years. But with long-term solutions out there (Josh McDaniels on Line 1, Lincoln Riley on 2), keeping Philbin would be myopic to the point of cynicism, as if to say, “We think most coaches are bad anyway and at least our guys like Joe.”

Taylor makes this work. He’s the offensive coach for whom many have already thrown on capes. Their thought process suggests a non-offensive head coach with a guru offensive coordinator makes more sense than chasing the sexy offensive hotshot candidate. But there’s no reason to believe a coach like Fangio or Dave Toub would be certain upgrades over Philbin who possesses important support in Green Bay he never had during his disastrous tenure in Miami. He also has Aaron Rodgers. This would be the holiday cocktail of coaching hires: continuity with a splash of innovation. It’s not what you’d order, but if your parents are serving it, you’ll drink it."

1 minute ago, gopackgo27 said:

Crazy that my top 3 candidates are all college coaches...

1. Pat Fitz

2. Petersen

3. Riley

About the same here ... I really like Peterson best.  I get the idea that none of these guys would actually take the job.  I have a hard time seeing Fitzgerald leaving NW for GB, but the Packers gig is one he really might consider.  Logistically it could work.  Also, Fitzgerald may feel he owes it to Murphy to actually interview, and if that happens .. maybe he falls in the love with the idea.  He's done all he can do at NW.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

From AcmePacking:

"The Packers could believe keeping Philbin represents an opportunity for continuity. Rodgers is in the back stretch of his career and learning an entirely new offense may be unduly cumbersome. Green Bay just invested a lot of resources in new offensive pieces and changing the terms of the offense may set back the development of talented young players like Equanimeous St. Brown and Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Unlike McCarthy, Philbin has the support of the players in the locker room, with myriad guys coming forward to say they bought into their interim head coach’s message right from the start. The fire and intensity does appear to be ratcheted up even if the level of play hasn’t been consistently higher.

And keeping Philbin in place would allow the Packers to justify retaining Mike Pettine who, when this defense was healthy, injected some much needed verve into a unit lacking it for years. Much like on offense, there’s a value to continuity, especially in this defense.

What may really be the clincher though, would be if Philbin is able to lure Zac Taylor away from the Los Angeles Rams. Taylor, a trendy OC coaching name on his own, he ties to the Packers organization and Philbin in particular. Taylor was a graduate assistant under for Packers coach Mike Sherman at Texas A&M before joining Philbin’s staff in Miami as the assistant quarterbacks coach. The 35-year-old coach was promoted twice with the Dolphins, first to QB coach, then to OC in Philbin’s final season with the Dolphins.

Taylor’s pedigree, raised with the bones of the Packers offense, mixed with his college experience and time with an innovator like McVay, represents precisely the type of tweaking this offense requires. A young, progressive thinker could re-engage Rodgers mentally, building new concepts and innovations into an offense this team already knows.

McVay loves to use 11 personnel with three receivers and a tight end, as do the Packers, but the Rams disguise it much better with pre-snap motion, bunch formations and spacing advantages. Their play action game has been the best in football under McVay with a commitment to the run game Rodgers has been begging for.

This scenario may simply be kicking the can down the line a bit further, but it also represents a quick fix. It’s not unthinkable to suggest Taylor could be a Josh McDaniels-esque figure with Joe Philbin set to turn 58 this offseason. Make a run at some titles the next two years and if the offense really pops, but they come up short, simply promote Taylor to HC and the creative hotshot coach many want the Packers to hire this offseason steps forward with institutional knowledge already built in."

It’s not entirely unthinkable to see this scenario play out, for the reasons suggested in this article.  I’m not sure yet where I stand with this idea - only acknowledging that a case could be made to retain Philbin (for aforementioned reasons), just like a case could be made to move on without him.  I suppose at the very least, Philbin can ride out with Rodgers and company and hope for another title or two, and if that fails, well, you start over after Rodgers career ends and default to the woulda, coulda, shoulda debate.

My initial reaction on Joe Philbin is that he's just a middle of the pack coach with no real fire, innovation, or sizzle to him.  I think he's a good man, but probably not quite the leader this team needs going forward.  We need someone to challenge this team .. to light a fire under this team with vision  and passion.  Who knows .. I'll let Murphy and Gute sort it out.

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

My initial reaction on Joe Philbin is that he's just a middle of the pack coach with no real fire, innovation, or sizzle to him.  I think he's a good man, but probably not quite the leader this team needs going forward.  We need someone to challenge this team .. to light a fire under this team with vision  and passion.  Who knows .. I'll let Murphy and Gute sort it out.

True. He wasnt a great success with MIA and he's not been heavily sought for other HC positions.
Different strokes for different folks. He's not a fire and brimstone leader....but is that what this team needs?

Clearly "Packer People". He's got Green Bay down.....and he's an accomplished Asst Coach / OC.

Bring in this Taylor guy.....keep Pettine.....Gute does his thing......Philbin could steer that ship IMO.
Especially if the players (read: AR) have bought in. That would be like a cruise on flat seas in the evening.

18 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Ugh keeping Philbin would just be boring. So I fully expect that to be the case.

I wouldnt mind Philbin if we can in fact get somebody like Taylor (who I know nothing about......) to bring in a new book on offense.
I'm just reading thru all the potential candidates - and nobody's knocking my socks off. I dont know them from Adam - so take that comment with a grain of salt - but tested (?) tried and true? I dont see college guys - none that are actually on the market or would come to Green Bay - fitting that requirement.

We're not hiring Philbin. To fire a good coach like Mac it's because you want to switch things up schematically. To run the same scheme and switch to a lesser coach would be one of the downright dumbest things I've ever seen.

Rodgers doesn't want that either, he's just being PC with the media regarding Philbin.

Archived