16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

All I know is the longer this deceision drags out, the more anxious I’m getting.  That’s just me, and I have ways of dealing with “feelings of dread” that don’t include medication, LOL.

Its not dragging out. It havent even started. The head coach search wont properly start until black monday.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

All I know is if Adam Gase gets fired, he's number one on my list. 

The job he's done with the likes of Ossweiler, Cutler, Tannehill and whoever the hell else has started games for them makes me think he could take us a long way. 

The job he has done with them has been very ordinary. As a coordinator maybe but not as a head coach.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The job he's done with the likes of Ossweiler, Cutler, Tannehill and whoever the hell else has started games for them makes me think he could take us a long way. 

Agreed. Big fan of Gase.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I agree .. he'd move to the top of the list for me as well.  

Just now, Chili said:

The job he has done with them has been very ordinary. As a coordinator maybe but not as a head coach.

Ryan Tannehill without Davante Adams and Tunsil instead of Bakhtiari has a higher QB rating than Aaron Rodgers right now. 

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think I'm with you on this.  I like Toub the best of the NFL options, but I'd rather go get an offensive wizard who runs a top college program.  Toub is an impressive coach .. he's the best in the business when it comes to special teams, but there is that question mark in regards to offensivive pedigree.  Chris Peterson would be the perfect choice for us, with Lincoln Riley being #2.  Both guys are offensive wizards and could take Rodgers right back to the top.  I like Dabo Swinney .. he runs a great program at Clemson and is a WR coach by trade.  From a pure character standpoint I like Pat Fitzgerald a lot,  but offense isn't his forte.  I've got Chris Peterson as my #1 choice right now, but I'm not sure any of these guys outside of Toub would actually take the job.

We really may have picked the wrong year to have a head coaching opening .. so many of these candidates have nagging questions about them.  McDaniels is an excellent offensive coordinator, but do you want him leading your room?  Bienemy has never called plays.  Fangio as a head coach .. I don't see it.  I just don't see very many at all that wow me.

The last two years were good for getting an offensive head coach.

McVay, Reich, Nagy, McDaniels, Lynn, Shanahan

Unfortunately the well has run dry and we have to make the best of the candidates on offer. I'm sure there's someone really good out there - just not necessarily an offensive coach.

As for Toub offensive pedigree he is capable of bringing in the likes of Harold Goodwin, Pep Hamilton or Kafka as offensive coordinators, all of whom he worked with before. These guys have worked with Palmer, Luck and Mahomes. Of course there's nothing stopping him bringing in the likes of Kubiak or other talented position coaches around the league as coordinator instead.

Im still very intrigued by the possibilities of Mcdaniels paired with Rodgers and Jones. I think the receivers in GB are better than they have had in New England as a whole, Jones could be special if he can stay on the field. In my mind I see a very capable offense which needs an athletic TE in the draft and a OG. The defense seems to need help on the back end and edge for sure. If we can address those needs in the Draft/Free agency this team isnt far away. 

*The success only happens if Rodgers can regain his confidence or whatever has happened to his accuracy is fixed. If that doesnt happen I don't think the coach matters.

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

You almost have to go with a former OC at HC unless you want musical chairs at the spot every year. I'm not a fan of a DC or ST head coach. Don't think it's conducive to stability long term.

agree with this for the most part. i don't have the data, but "offensive minded" head coaches seem to have more success overall.

obviously there are exceptions (belichick, carroll), but i would put my chips on an offensive mind. 

hoping we get mcdaniels and then give pettine another year. rest of the staff should be gutted imo. 

7 hours ago, Chili said:

Its not dragging out. It havent even started. The head coach search wont properly start until black monday.

7 hours ago, Chili said:

The last two years were good for getting an offensive head coach.

McVay, Reich, Nagy, McDaniels, Lynn, Shanahan

Unfortunately the well has run dry and we have to make the best of the candidates on offer. I'm sure there's someone really good out there - just not necessarily an offensive coach.

As for Toub offensive pedigree he is capable of bringing in the likes of Harold Goodwin, Pep Hamilton or Kafka as offensive coordinators, all of whom he worked with before. These guys have worked with Palmer, Luck and Mahomes. Of course there's nothing stopping him bringing in the likes of Kubiak or other talented position coaches around the league as coordinator instead.

Yeah, your post above is exactly why I’m getting anxious.  I’m just not seeing a clear path forward yet, but I’m not overly worried either.  I’m not a HC recruiter or talent evaluator.  All I can try and do is be patient - excuse me if that’s not easy to do, LOL.

9 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think I'm with you on this.  I like Toub the best of the NFL options, but I'd rather go get an offensive wizard who runs a top college program.  Toub is an impressive coach .. he's the best in the business when it comes to special teams, but there is that question mark in regards to offensivive pedigree.  Chris Peterson would be the perfect choice for us, with Lincoln Riley being #2.  Both guys are offensive wizards and could take Rodgers right back to the top.  I like Dabo Swinney .. he runs a great program at Clemson and is a WR coach by trade.  From a pure character standpoint I like Pat Fitzgerald a lot,  but offense isn't his forte.  I've got Chris Peterson as my #1 choice right now, but I'm not sure any of these guys outside of Toub would actually take the job.

We really may have picked the wrong year to have a head coaching opening .. so many of these candidates have nagging questions about them.  McDaniels is an excellent offensive coordinator, but do you want him leading your room?  Bienemy has never called plays.  Fangio as a head coach .. I don't see it.  I just don't see very many at all that wow me.

I agree.  If Gase is let go, Toub and Gase worked together in Chicago, win, win?

Archived