16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

On 12/17/2018 at 2:55 PM, Dubz41 said:

IIRC- Bart Starr.  It didn't go well.

After retiring as a player in 1972, Starr became head coach of the Packers from 1975 through 1983; however, his coaching success did not equal his success as a player. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1977.

On 12/17/2018 at 3:04 PM, Packer_ESP said:

Thanks, it was a genuine question. I tried to Google it but I couldn't find anything.

It would be one thing to have him as a QB coach or passing game coordinator or whatever, but I can't see someone with no experience becoming a HC all of a sudden. Not to mention that he hasn't expressed any interest in coaching so far and there are no ties to GB that I'm aware of. I'm sure he'd sooner return to the Colts or Broncos than coming here.

Starr was a QB coach/playcaller (offensive coordinator?) in 1972, but then left football for a couple yrs before being hired post-Devine. 

So he had ONE SEASON of coaching experience. At any level. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

He seemed to do fine in Buffalo. GB may be a small fishbowl of a city, but if it's attention he wants, there are few teams that draw more water nationally than GB has over the past couple decades. 

Rex still made the back pages of both the NY Post and Daily News - which used to be the media battlefield in the market. (The Daily News has downsized). Beyond his acumen at designing defenses (which we dont need btw......) he's a guy that likes a megaphone. Has little to no difficulty putting himself front and center. As a HC he can be as much a disruption and detriment to an organization as a benefit. 

Besides - not sure how the people of Green Bay will look upon his foot fetishes. Ha!

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rex still made the back pages of both the NY Post and Daily News - which used to be the media battlefield in the market. (The Daily News has downsized). Beyond his acumen at designing defenses (which we dont need btw......) he's a guy that likes a megaphone. Has little to no difficulty putting himself front and center. As a HC he can be as much a disruption and detriment to an organization as a benefit. 

Besides - not sure how the people of Green Bay will look upon his foot fetishes. Ha!

Ugh I forgot about that.  To hell with that guy.

My first thought was to immediately laugh at Rex Ryan suggestion but maybe it could work. Maybe him shouldering some if they spotlight could be a good thing, maybe getting a defensive guy when the rest of the league is trending the opposite way could be good. 

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Except it's not really Rex's tree. He's an offshoot.

Is Andy Reid an offshoot of the Holmgren tree?

Is Belichick an offshoot of the Parcells tree?

The discussion of coaching trees in general I think is overrated, but to disqualify guys because they come off a different tree doesn't make sense to me. You can only claim one generation as your tree IMO

4 minutes ago, JDB said:

My first thought was to immediately laugh at Rex Ryan suggestion but maybe it could work. Maybe him shouldering some if they spotlight could be a good thing, maybe getting a defensive guy when the rest of the league is trending the opposite way could be good. 

Rex would have been a great DC with McCarthy I feel like.

Not sure that's the guy you want sitting in the big chair.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Positive hot take: In a city where many of the beautiful lasses wear steel-toed shoes and boots from Cabela's there may be fewer distractions for Mr. Ryan.

I'm down on the Rex hire for entertainment value alone. He's not boring.

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Positive hot take: In a city where many of the beautiful lasses wear steel-toed shoes and boots from Cabela's there may be fewer distractions for Mr. Ryan.

I'm down on the Rex hire for entertainment value alone. He's not boring.

You need a new dating service. 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rex would have been a great DC with McCarthy I feel like.

Not sure that's the guy you want sitting in the big chair.

I thought that Ryan would have been a great hire in GB under Mac.  He would have needed to check his ego, though, and let the head coach be the boss.  I thought that would have been very, very tough for him to do.  I did think that his bravado would have worked on defense and taken some pressure/spotlight off of the offense, which I think would have helped them some, too.

As far as sitting in the big chair (as head coach now)?  I'm a firm no.

I think you get a similar defensive style from Pettine without all the other stuff.  I'm a fan of that.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think you get a similar defensive style from Pettine without all the other stuff.  I'm a fan of that.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Exactly.
And Pettine spent his year off in Seattle working on defense, scouting teams & players and refining his craft.

Both of these and by all accounts Pettine isn't a loud mouth! The thing i find really like so far with Pettine's D is that other than having some decent DB play required he can get pressure from anywhere. With that said i'm sure he'd like to blitz less and get home with the 4 he sends like any other DC out there. But what he's done with what he's had for most of this year is truly fantastic.

What Harbaugh did this season with Lamar Jackson is why I reject when people say MM should get a pass for last season because he was forced to start Hundley.

Hundley may not be a starter in this league, but he is a much more pro-ready passer than Jackson is now, and while not the athletic talent Jackson is, a good one in his own right.

The difference is that Harbaugh did not stubbornly stick to making Jackson play the Joe Flacco playbook. He embraced his young QB's individual talent/skill-set and ran on offensive system that worked for him. And Harbaugh does not have the reputation of being a QB or offense-minded guy. He's D/ST. All it took was the most basic pragmatism, going with what works.

Now, it should go without saying that the situation in Baltimore is not perfectly identical to what ours was last year (*eyeroll*). That is almost never the point of a comparison used for the sake of argument. With Baltimore, part of the plan is to move on from Flacco in favor of Jackson, so it makes sense they took special interest in designing a new scheme uniquely for him. Here, Rodgers is firmly entrenched, and Hundley is just some developmental backup who you do not afford the same privileges.

Still, offense and QBs are supposed to have been McCarthy's "things" and what we kept him on for. Some really argue that the guy is just Sean Payton of the north! Yet I see Payton et. al. making use of their backup QB in a way that McCarthy never did with Hundley -- and Brees never even got sidelined with an injury!!

To top it all off, McCarthy then tried to throw Hundley under the bus at the end of the season for not getting the job done. xD 9_9

... yet that is probably what led us to trade Randall away for Kizer, which is looking like a clear miss for us by the day. I'd much rather have Hundley and Randall right now than Kizer, Burks, and Cole Madison -- I daresay even we "hit" with the Madison pick.

Archived