16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, Gase runs a 4-3 defense in Miami.  I want to move back to a 4-3.  I almost made a thread about this, and if the conversation takes off, Ray or CWood can make a new thread for it. 

We switched to a 3-4 defense over 10 years ago.  Ten years ago, teams were playing 3-4 defenses because Tweeners slipped in the draft and the value was there for 3-4 teams to pick those players. 

Now?  That has flipped.  If not flipped, there is no distinct advantage. 

14 teams run straight 3-4 defenses.  4 more teams run multiple formation defenses. 

I prefer the 4-3 more because it's less about disguises and more about coaching your players to beat the man in front of them.  I think all of our linebackers are better-suited for a 4-3 than a 3-4. 

I think we'd be a good fit for the Seattle cover 3. Think King, Breeland and Jackson would excel in that type of coverage and Jaire is a far better slot than they ever had in the LOB. Now their safeties were leagues better than anything we have, but Earl will be out there if you want that instant influx of knowledge and leadership regarding the defense, you're going to have to pay for it though.

On the line we are fine at the tackles, Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Adams will suffice. Base ends if you bring back Wilk and Perry would be OK, but you sure as hell don't want them wide in your pressure package. We really would need a LEO as we have no one who could fill that role. Clowney is the expensive target in that role, Barrett out of Denver I feel could be a sneaky good starter for cheaper. In the draft you just don't know if Sweat, Polite or Burns have the sand in the pants to hold up with their hand in the dirt but you might have to take one and hope.

Linebackers are pretty easy. Martinez is your middle, Burks/Jones battle for WLB and you re-sign one of Ryan or Matthews to play SAM.

As far as who to coach it, Richard as a HC candidate from Dallas, maybe if Dan Quinn gets fired in ATL you look at him, Vance Joseph doesn't run Seattle's look but it's similar.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

As far as who to coach it, Richard as a HC candidate from Dallas, maybe if Dan Quinn gets fired in ATL you look at him, Vance Joseph doesn't run Seattle's look but it's similar.

Good overall post - but I'm editing it to save space and for focus on my question: Is Dan Quinn actually on the hot seat in ATL?
If so -- whats the reasoning you're hearing/reading? Is it believed their talent level is too high and they're underachieving

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Good overall post - but I'm editing it to save space and for focus on my question: Is Dan Quinn actually on the hot seat in ATL?
If so -- whats the reasoning you're hearing/reading? Is it believed their talent level is too high and they're underachieving

I've heard he's on the hot seat and I've heard he isn't. We'll find out on NYE what his status is. If probably lean 60/40 him staying.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I've heard he's on the hot seat and I've heard he isn't. We'll find out on NYE what his status is. If probably lean 60/40 him staying.

Cant say I've been following ATLs ups and downs this season - but it never dawned on me Quinn was a focal point.
Be interesting if he was let go and came to GB (two long bridges yet crossed at this stage) if he kept Pettine around.  A couple good defensive minds though.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I think we'd be a good fit for the Seattle cover 3. Think King, Breeland and Jackson would excel in that type of coverage and Jaire is a far better slot than they ever had in the LOB. Now their safeties were leagues better than anything we have, but Earl will be out there if you want that instant influx of knowledge and leadership regarding the defense, you're going to have to pay for it though.

On the line we are fine at the tackles, Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Adams will suffice. Base ends if you bring back Wilk and Perry would be OK, but you sure as hell don't want them wide in your pressure package. We really would need a LEO as we have no one who could fill that role. Clowney is the expensive target in that role, Barrett out of Denver I feel could be a sneaky good starter for cheaper. In the draft you just don't know if Sweat, Polite or Burns have the sand in the pants to hold up with their hand in the dirt but you might have to take one and hope.

Linebackers are pretty easy. Martinez is your middle, Burks/Jones battle for WLB and you re-sign one of Ryan or Matthews to play SAM.

Or Pettine who studied Seattle in 2017 I think?

The Packers’ search is underway, and the one name that multiple folks brought up over the last week was Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald, who was hired into that job by Green Bay president/ex-NU AD Mark Murphy. Murphy’s running the show here, with half-dozen execs, including GM Brian Gutekunst, working with him.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/24/nfl-playoff-picture-saints-ravens-colts-eagles-coaching-rumors-2019-draft-mmqb-week-16

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

The Packers’ search is underway, and the one name that multiple folks brought up over the last week was Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald, who was hired into that job by Green Bay president/ex-NU AD Mark Murphy. Murphy’s running the show here, with half-dozen execs, including GM Brian Gutekunst, working with him.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/24/nfl-playoff-picture-saints-ravens-colts-eagles-coaching-rumors-2019-draft-mmqb-week-16

Love it. Get Fitz, steal his former QB Kafka from the Chiefs, keep Pettine on. Also really like Chris Petersen and I'd be thrilled with either one.

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I could have sworn they had already came out and said he'd be back.  Am I imagining that?

Archived