16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

33 minutes ago, hoekd0250 said:

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers won’t be involved in the team’s search for a new coach. If Rodgers were, he’d apparently want the interim coach to get the job. “We want to play for Joe [Philbin] and give him the best opportunity possible,” Rodgers said after Sunday’s overtime win against the Jets, via Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal. While that’s not quite a “hire this man” endorsement from Rodgers, it’s basically the same message. Rodgers says the players want to play for Rodgers, and that they want to “give him the best opportunity possible” to get the permanent job. So Rodgers wants the powers-that-be to come to the same conclusion that he, and apparently other teammates, already have reached. Rodgers wants Philbin. It’s no surprise. Football players are creatures of habit. Rodgers knows Philbin. Rodgers can work with Philbin. A stranger to the organization may do things differently. He may be a guy Rodgers can’t work with. A guy Rodgers ultimately may not like. So he likes Philbin, and apparently that’s good enough for Rodgers. The question becomes whether it’s good enough for the people who will be making the decision, especially in light of Philbin’s past experience as a head coach, winning 24 of 52 games in three-plus seasons with the Dolphins. Now that Rodgers has made his preference clear, the question becomes whether the Packers would hire Philbin to placate Rodgers — or hire someone else to spite him.

13 minutes ago, hoekd0250 said:

from article

"Now that Rodgers has made his preference clear, the question becomes whether the Packers would hire Philbin to placate Rodgers — or hire someone else to spite him."

Mike Florio likes to stir stuff up .. that last line is garbage.  They are going to interview a bunch of people and then decide who is the best guy for the job.  I highly doubt it will be Philbin who winds up with the gig, and it won't a decision made to spite Aaron Rodgers .. it will be because they think someone else is the best person to lead the Packers for the next decade or so.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Mike Florio likes to stir stuff up .. that last line is garbage.  They are going to interview a bunch of people and then decide who is the best guy for the job.  I highly doubt it will be Philbin who winds up with the gig, and it won't a decision made to spite Aaron Rodgers .. it will be because they think someone else is the best person to lead the Packers for the next decade or so.

I don’t think the next coach will be Philbin but I did say I didn’t think enough people were taking Philbin seriously enough because the team and Rodgers like him. However, this is Viking fan homer Florio trying to stir up drama.

7 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don’t think the next coach will be Philbin but I did say I didn’t think enough people were taking Philbin seriously enough because the team and Rodgers like him. However, this is Viking fan homer Florio trying to stir up drama.

I'd mentioned that if we won against CHI - Philbin had a shot - and if we'd have connected on a few plays in that game, we easily could have won. The game was 14-14 into the 4th. 

An interesting situation........

In general terms........MM was let go because of this "thing" with AR. Not totally - and really have no need or interest to discuss the why's of it - just mentioning it.

Now - ARs publicly come out in favor of Philbin - or saying he wouldnt mind at least.

Does that public affirmation help or hurt Philbin?
Philbin's been GB tried and tested. He's been here. Done well here. Likes the place. That counts.
Problem is - his tenure as a HC hasnt been overwhelmingly successful.

So you're in the FO. You gonna move on from a successful coach - to one who's been less successful - but who the QB has said he likes. The same QB that "opinion-wise" at least, had a hand in getting rid of the first guy.

Not sure how ARs comments will play.

9 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

You're so right ... Florio stirs things up for click bait and 90% of the time has no clue.  Disagree with him on Packer news about the same percentage.  It's laughable that anybody believes Rodgers has anything but a "passing" interest in the new head coach.   

Im glad I don't think the organization puts as much weight in Rodgers opinion of the coach as the media and most fans seem to think. McCarthy had plenty of cause to be fired just in the general decline of discipline and execution. They didn't cater to Favre by any means, and I wouldn't want them to cater to Rodgers whims either.

Just now, spilltray said:

Im glad I don't think the organization puts as much weight in Rodgers opinion of the coach as the media and most fans seem to think. McCarthy had plenty of cause to be fired just in the general decline of discipline and execution. They didn't cater to Favre by any means, and I wouldn't want them to cater to Rodgers whims either.

THIS

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'd mentioned that if we won against CHI - Philbin had a shot - and if we'd have connected on a few plays in that game, we easily could have won. The game was 14-14 into the 4th. 

In general terms........MM was let go because of this "thing" with AR. Not totally - and really have no need or interest to discuss the why's of it - just mentioning it.

Now - ARs publicly come out in favor of Philbin - or saying he wouldnt mind at least.

Philbin's been GB tried and tested. He's been here. Done well here. Likes the place. That counts.

So you're in the FO. You gonna move on from a successful coach - to one who's been less successful - but who the QB has said he likes. The same QB that "opinion-wise" at least, had a hand in getting rid of the first guy.

I don't think this "thing" between Rodgers and McCarthy was the reason MM was let go.  It could have been a contributing factor but the team as a whole wasn't performing and some of Mike's in game decisions were kinda nutty (like going for it on 4th down and more than a yard on the wrong side of the field) and not firing assistants when their charges weren't playing well (Capers and Zook are 2 that come to mind).  Aaron likes Philbin.  I suspect the other players do too.  But it isn't up to them to decide who their next coach will be.  Philbin might be a better coordinator than HC.  Murphy and Gute might believe a new voice and attitude is needed going forward.

Florio is such a dope and his Vikings homerism has always shown through whenever he writes something about Rodgers. Who can forget his ridiculous "Rodgers hates cancer victims" story the week or so before SB XLV? There is nothing in Rodgers comments that indicate he wants them to make Philbin the HC at all. Just clickbait nonsense

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Florio is such a dope and his Vikings homerism has always shown through whenever he writes something about Rodgers.

I really, really, really, really hate Florio, but I love the design of PFF and I love what they offer as far as news. 

What really drives me absolutely insane about him is how much he ******* and moans about the fumble out of the end zone rule.  He's seriously an obnoxious WSABW. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I really, really, really, really hate Florio, but I love the design of PFF and I love what they offer as far as news. 

What really drives me absolutely insane about him is how much he ******* and moans about the fumble out of the end zone rule.  He's seriously an obnoxious WSABW. 

That rule sucks. If you started football tomorrow and we made the rules, I would get laughed off the planet for suggesting that.

Just now, Norm said:

That rule sucks. If you started football tomorrow and we made the rules, I would get laughed off the planet for suggesting that.

The alternative sucks just as much.  Give them the ball on the 1 yard line for fumbling the ball? 

Would we then eliminate a safety if the ball is fumbled in the back of your own end zone? 

The rule doesn't suck.  If you can score a TD by breaking the plane of the goal line, the defense needs to be allowed a turnover by the ball breaking the plane of the end zone without being in possession of the offense. 

4 hours ago, Leader said:

I read that more like, " We're assuming Joe isn't coaching this team in l next year, but we want him to get a better job, somewhere else"

Archived