16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

8 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I first thought they fired Mac early to get a jump on potential college coaching candidates and they haven't interviewed any. 

If I'm not mistaken  they can interview college candidates right now. I now have no clue who they have their eyes on at this point, i think I'd shoot myself in the head if they hire an old retread like Rex Ryan.

If their interest is in Riley they won't interview him until after his game on the 30th of December. 

34 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

If their interest is in Riley they won't interview him until after his game on the 30th of December. 

Yes, maybe the collegiate coaches they are interested in are busy getting ready for bowl games and this is why they are waiting.  

I suspect they fired MM before the season ended so there wouldn't be more speculation about Mike's future as a lame duck.  No one questions the future of an interim HC.

7 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

Head Coach: Rex Ryan

OC: John Deflipino

DC: Mike Pettine

The only good thing that Rex Ryan would bring to Green Bay is that with his ego, he could take some of the pressure off Rodgers speaking up on team issues.  DeFlipino, no, he sucked with the Vikings.  Food for thought, what about Kris Richards as HC with Darrell Bevel as OC, (Old Rodgers buddy) and Pettine?  Just throwing it out there.

42 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Guys, if Lincoln Riley goes pro, Dallas will be on him like flies on hot sh t!  That's Cowboy country down there, he would be close to home and keep the same fan base he has in college and then Cowboy fans.  Jones will open up the wallet for him.  Don't see him coming to Green Bay, IMO, I could be wrong, but Dallas makes more sense for him and his family.

Just now, jleisher said:

Guys, if Lincoln Riley goes pro, Dallas will be on him like flies on hot sh t!  That's Cowboy country down there, he would be close to home and keep the same fan base he has in college and then Cowboy fans.  Jones will open up the wallet for him.  Don't see him coming to Green Bay, IMO, I could be wrong, but Dallas makes more sense for him and his family.

You also have opinions like it being a great idea to create a backhanded I told you so post as well. So excuse me if I take your opinions with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

The only good thing that Rex Ryan would bring to Green Bay is that with his ego, he could take some of the pressure off Rodgers speaking up on team issues.  DeFlipino, no, he sucked with the Vikings.  Food for thought, what about Kris Richards as HC with Darrell Bevel as OC, (Old Rodgers buddy) and Pettine?  Just throwing it out there.

You talk about JDF sucking, but then you mention Darrell Bevel??? 

2 hours ago, jleisher said:

I'd almost rather have McDaniels at HC than DB anywhere on this staff.

I honestly don't care if the next HC is a 'pick-your-flavor' guru. I want someone who can pick excellent assistant coaches and can manage a game. Most of the great teams seem to have great coordinators who get poached (think Holmgren's coaching staff), which provides as much parity in the league as the draft does. Once a coaching tree is picked, it's hard to restock. (Sorry for mixing metaphors).

1 hour ago, GalenaPackFan said:

I want someone who can pick excellent assistant coaches

That's a really important aspect and its often overlooked by fans
Not only "picking" them, but having the reputation and career trajectory that makes them want to hitch their wagon to your HC's caravan. College coaches typically don't have the gravitas to lure the best coordinators until they prove themselves - and as you noted the staff is incredibly important in being successful

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That's a really important aspect and its often overlooked by fans
Not only "picking" them, but having the reputation and career trajectory that makes them want to hitch their wagon to your HC's caravan. College coaches typically don't have the gravitas to lure the best coordinators until they prove themselves - and as you noted the staff is incredibly important in being successful

John Harbaugh coaching tree has been quite decent. He had 6 assistants that went on to be head coaches with varying levels of success. He used to work under Andy Reid for a long time so maybe he could poach some Kansas coaches if needed. I'm sure there are some good coaches out there that would like to hitch on the Harbaugh wagon. Main concern is his inability to hire a good offensive coordinators. He's been pretty uninspiring in that regard for Baltimore.

Toub in theory could put together an excellent coaching staff by raiding some of the Kansas coaching staff. His reputation is top notch and he could get good coaches around the league handing in their job applications should if he ever become head coach.

Kris Richard is a dark horse for me. He's an excellent communicator and coach with his successes with the Legion of Boom. That's where his reputation comes from and that alone might be able to help him form a good coaching staff. Unfortunately he hasn't been part of any team with elite offences and I'm left to wonder if he can build a top tier offensive staff to help bring the best out of Rodgers.  Both teams he been on were run heavy offences built around Lynch and Elliot. The previous Seattle defensive coordinators like Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn has not done very well as Head Coach so hiring Richard would give me pause. One can't help but wonder if all the Legion of Boom successes is due to Pete Carroll rather than any of the coordinators.

The only offensive coach who is legit a serious contender is McDaniels. I personally think his actions for the Colts job will hurt him from being able to build a good coaching staff but then again I have read articles that says coaches see McDaniels as an ideal stepping stone towards a head coaching gig and that McDaniels won't be short of candidates..

If there's any retread to consider then maybe Adam Gase, Jay Gruden, Ken Whisenhunt. There's not alot to go on.

I think the well for NFL offensive coordinator head coach candidates has run dry. We will be forced to dip into college football and look at the likes of David Shaw, Chris Peterson and Lincoln Riley.

Are there any offensive position coaches we can seriously consider for head coach? That doesn't happen very often.

Bob McGinn did a write up on several of the previous coaching searches

Here's a snippet about Ron Wolf's search that landed Holmgren.

Upon jettisoning Infante, Wolf said Friday that he wanted to hire Bill Parcells and would have if not for his health problems. At the time, Parcells was working for NBC-TV after leading the Giants to two Super Bowl titles in a nine-year tenure (1982-’90).

“He had the heart problems and said he wasn’t going to do it (take the Packers job),” Wolf said. “He needed open-heart surgery.

“So that was it. That’s who I wanted to go with but he couldn’t do it. I think he would have done what he did everywhere. He’s brilliant.”

The first candidate interviewed by Wolf was Holmgren, the 49ers’ offensive coordinator. The problem was, Holmgren also ended up being interviewed by the Steelers, Buccaneers, Colts and Rams. The Packers’ search had been held up for about eight days by Parcells’ indecision.

Wolf also interviewed Terry Robiskie, the tight ends coach for the Raiders. Wolf said he wanted to interview Richie Petitbon, the Redskins’ defensive coordinator, but Washington GM Charley Casserly refused to grant permission until after the Super Bowl and the Packers didn’t want to wait.

“I had a call from (Marty) Schottenheimer and he recommended somebody,” remembered Wolf. “I asked him about Bill Cowher and he told me he didn’t want to lose Bill Cowher. I think he lost him to the Steelers. I wanted to interview Cowher but I didn’t.”

Harlan asked Holmgren a couple years later, "with all the opportunities you had, why did you pick Green Bay?’

“He said very simply, ‘I knew Ron would get me players.’”

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Bob McGinn did a write up on several of the previous coaching searches

Here's a snippet about Ron Wolf's search that landed Holmgren.

Upon jettisoning Infante, Wolf said Friday that he wanted to hire Bill Parcells and would have if not for his health problems. At the time, Parcells was working for NBC-TV after leading the Giants to two Super Bowl titles in a nine-year tenure (1982-’90).

“He had the heart problems and said he wasn’t going to do it (take the Packers job),” Wolf said. “He needed open-heart surgery.

“So that was it. That’s who I wanted to go with but he couldn’t do it. I think he would have done what he did everywhere. He’s brilliant.”

The first candidate interviewed by Wolf was Holmgren, the 49ers’ offensive coordinator. The problem was, Holmgren also ended up being interviewed by the Steelers, Buccaneers, Colts and Rams. The Packers’ search had been held up for about eight days by Parcells’ indecision.

Wolf also interviewed Terry Robiskie, the tight ends coach for the Raiders. Wolf said he wanted to interview Richie Petitbon, the Redskins’ defensive coordinator, but Washington GM Charley Casserly refused to grant permission until after the Super Bowl and the Packers didn’t want to wait.

“I had a call from (Marty) Schottenheimer and he recommended somebody,” remembered Wolf. “I asked him about Bill Cowher and he told me he didn’t want to lose Bill Cowher. I think he lost him to the Steelers. I wanted to interview Cowher but I didn’t.”

Harlan asked Holmgren a couple years later, "with all the opportunities you had, why did you pick Green Bay?’

“He said very simply, ‘I knew Ron would get me players.’”

19 hours ago, jleisher said:

Gary Kubiak also has ties to Rex Ryan. 

Take a look at coaches tied to Rex and he has a really strong coaching tree to pick from fir a staff. 

Archived