We’ll have plenty of room to re-sign our own players

turtle28

On 12/21/2018 at 12:29 PM, Slateman said:

Thompson has one year where he stood out. And he got hurt in the middle of it. The years prior  (and the year since) he has been fairly average as a pass catching running back. If you like him because he's a good teammate and "knows the system," fine. His cap hit isn't anything difficult to deal with. But don't pretend like his performance isn't replaceable. It's very, very replaceable. 

This is where I'm at too

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Crowder might be affordable for us, considering his injuries the past year.  Preston Smith, however, can leave.  He is way too inconsistent week to week, and with the way the NFL teams value players, he is going to get overpaid on the open market, so no thanks.  

Completely agree here. Before the season I thought Preston was ready to put it all together.

He didn't.

In his contract year.

So unless he comes in at a super low number, he can walk.

56 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I agree that Preston Smith is inconsistent and about an average player. You aren't gonna have superstars at every position. This team has a TON of long term holes right now and we'd just be creating another one. It might have been different if Ryan Anderson panned out but he looks to be a non-factor.  At this point I would franchise tag him if we don't sign a long term deal with him. Cut Norman if we need the cap space. He won't be here for longer than a year and is not in the team's future plan whereas Preston Smith could be.

So you want to pay Preston Smith $14.9 million on the franchise tag?  Between him and Alex Smith, $35 million would be attached to someone who may not play ever again, and a guy who may not even bother playing half the year because he doesn't show up on the stat sheet.  

Not to mention, you say that letting Smith go will create another hole on the roster to fill, well, the same can be said of Josh Norman.  You can't count on Quinton Dunbar, who has a nerve injury similar to what ended Kyshoen Jarrett's career, and not much depth left behind Norman and Moreau.  

Best to let the overrated players walk, and that includes Smith. 

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yup. Let someone else overpay for him and then reap the 3rd round comp pick. 

Guys, I agree that you need to build through the draft and develop your guys. But if the guy hasn't put it together then he doesn't deserve the contract by the time his rookie contract is up. Which means you let him walk. That is being smart.

Remember comp picks are now tradeable. And more picks in the first 3 rounds are a good thing. It can help you trade up. Or get the guy you wanted who slipped. Or allow you to trade that pick to a team for a 2nd rounder the following year, etc...

27 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So you want to pay Preston Smith $14.9 million on the franchise tag?  Between him and Alex Smith, $35 million would be attached to someone who may not play ever again, and a guy who may not even bother playing half the year because he doesn't show up on the stat sheet.  

Not to mention, you say that letting Smith go will create another hole on the roster to fill, well, the same can be said of Josh Norman.  You can't count on Quinton Dunbar, who has a nerve injury similar to what ended Kyshoen Jarrett's career, and not much depth left behind Norman and Moreau.  

Cutting Norman would not be creating another hole. He is already a hole. He's 31 years old and he's got no future here.

I get it, both you and Thaiphoon don't like Preston Smith. But he's a solid player at a position that is very difficult to fill. He should be the team's #1 priority this off-season. Also remember that Ryan Kerrigan is on the wrong side of 30 as well.

35 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Cutting Norman would not be creating another hole. He is already a hole. He's 31 years old and he's got no future here.

I get it, both you and Thaiphoon don't like Preston Smith. But he's a solid player at a position that is very difficult to fill. He should be the team's #1 priority this off-season. Also remember that Ryan Kerrigan is on the wrong side of 30 as well.

He's not gonna be that hard to replace. I can find another guy who disappears for most of the season and then flashes in one or two games.

As for Kerrigan, yes he is. But he still produces and as long as he does, I'm gonna keep a watchful eye on him. Once that production slips? He's gone.

10 hours ago, taylor made said:

I know that I am going to get beat up for this, but we do have Ryan Anderson who could fill the same role. We can also find one on the draft. Smith has not been stellar enough to keep him if he is asking for a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38017/jay-gruden-says-redskins-must-try-to-re-sign-jamison-crowder

“He's got great quickness in intermediate routes, can separate, has good hands, he's tough, he's physical in the running game,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. “There is really not anything that Jamison can't do. You look at his size and say he's little, but he plays big, so we have to try and get him back for sure."

“I’m comfortable here,” Crowder said a day after the season ended. “Obviously I have a high interest level in coming back, but this is going to be a discussion with my agent. There hasn’t been much discussion.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen. I have to wait and see what’s going on.”

5-6M should be the maximum per year IMO.

16 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

All that means is he’s gonna wait on Alex Smith’s recovery for a bit and see if he’d at least have a competent QB on the roster. If not I’m sure he’s gone

Crowder is a good slot receiver. If the price was right, I'd keep him around.

However, he's going to be in demand since he's a good slot receiver, so I'm content to let him walk.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:38 PM, Woz said:

Crowder is a good slot receiver. If the price was right, I'd keep him around.

However, he's going to be in demand since he's a good slot receiver, so I'm content to let him walk.

The good news is, because of the nagging injuries he sustained this year, there is a good chance he takes a one year deal to prove himself into a big pay day next off-season.  

The bad news?  We don't have a legit starting QB throwing him the football, so he would be better served signing that one year deal with another team. 

56 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The good news is, because of the nagging injuries he sustained this year, there is a good chance he takes a one year deal to prove himself into a big pay day next off-season.  

The bad news?  We don't have a legit starting QB throwing him the football, so he would be better served signing that one year deal with another team. 

True story.  

I like Crowder.  We drafted and developed him, I hope we keep him.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 11:48 PM, Thaiphoon said:

He's not gonna be that hard to replace. I can find another guy who disappears for most of the season and then flashes in one or two games.

As for Kerrigan, yes he is. But he still produces and as long as he does, I'm gonna keep a watchful eye on him. Once that production slips? He's gone.

Umm yeah, he’s either going to be hard to replace or cost a 1st round pick to replace. Smith isn’t great, but his play is often underrated by fans who only look at one stat for OLBs & DEs.

Smith continues to generate pressures, they don’t always lead to sacks but the pressures that he and Kerrigan generate do help the defense and the back end. Also, the pressure he and Kerrigan bring on the outside makes QBs have to step up in the pocket into the waiting arms of Allen, Ioannidis or Payne if they’ve beaten their man.

Our 3 interior DL had 8, 7.5 and 5 sacks which is pretty unheard on a 3-4 DL.

Archived