Packers @ Bears: Sunday, December 16th

G08

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Defense

-Khalil Mack pursuing the ball doesn't belong on Fox NFL Sunday, it belongs on the Discovery Channel. It is like watching a tiger, you think it is moving slowly and then the scary music starts and it takes off and the next thing you know it is mauling a gazelle. Mack starts each rush and looks like he is walking and then he hits the OT and is shot out of a cannon and finishes the play. The sacks were awesome and Jason Spriggs could not have stopped Mack with a handgun and a lightsaber, but when your best player pursues the ball all the way across the field that sets a tone and a culture. #thankgruden

-Leonard Floyd has played really good football for weeks now, but he probably played the best game of his career against the Packers and a very good OT in Bhaktiari, who is allowed to hold more than any player I have ever see. He was all over the field and finally stopped trying to power rush guys and simply used his speed to clean up messy pockets. I saw on Twitter that someone said after his 2nd stat he went right to the Packers bench and gave them the "checks watch, your time is up" celebration, bad ***.

-Roquan Smith has figured out the NFL game. He is a star. He simply flies around and makes plays and just punished people when he tackled them. You do not see the false steps and late reads anymore. Watch out.

-The Bears DL depth is silly. Roy Robertson has seen more of Aaron Rodgers this season than Aaron's mom. 11:00 in the 3rd quarter, go back and watch him throw the LG onto the ground right after the snap with a long arm bull rush. Utter dominance from a backup, that is how you know you are good.

-I am really happy that Sherrick McManis stepped up and played a great game. The dude has been here through the entire gong show and when he got a chance to play defense a couple of years ago he was bad and got benched. He is not Bryce Callahan, but he is playing great when given the chance on defense. The pass break up to force a field goal was a huge play.

-Can anyone remember the last WR catch where Fuller or Prince were not right there? I cannot. I honestly cannot remember the last easy completion the Bears gave up, other than the 2 blown coverages against the Giants.

-Eddie Goldman continues to be a dominant player. He will never get the attention he deserves, but he is now generating consistent pressure when he is in the game.

-Danny Trevathan had a very good game. He is such a steady player against the run and coverage.

-I wonder if Adrian Amos will be back next year. So much of what the Bears do is based on the fact that they get really good safety play and rarely get beat deep it at all. I wonder if they will value the continuity on the back end. Amos is an exceptional tackler and is just so sound in his assignments.

-Pat O'Donnell is probably punting his way to a new deal. Great game yesterday added on to a couple of strong efforts in the 2nd half of the season.

Floyd has really come on of late. I’m really impressed by him.

I've been reading all sorts of excuses made for Rodgers sucking this year. One that consistently mentioned by many is that he is working with rookies and 1st year WR's. They arent on the same page, they arent where they need to be. When the talk changes to Trubisky its about the Bears defense winning games and that he's a below average QB. But what about the fact that not one of the Bears starting wide receivers was on the team last year? What about the fact that they are all playing together in a new scheme? Seems hypocritical to me, regardless of Rodgers past successes. Plus Rodgers has two WR's in Adams and Cobb that he has been playing with for quite some time.

So the GOAT can't play with rookies? Gotta love the Rodgers apologists.

5 hours ago, dafreak said:

I've been reading all sorts of excuses made for Rodgers sucking this year. One that consistently mentioned by many is that he is working with rookies and 1st year WR's. They arent on the same page, they arent where they need to be. When the talk changes to Trubisky its about the Bears defense winning games and that he's a below average QB. But what about the fact that not one of the Bears starting wide receivers was on the team last year? What about the fact that they are all playing together in a new scheme? Seems hypocritical to me, regardless of Rodgers past successes. Plus Rodgers has two WR's in Adams and Cobb that he has been playing with for quite some time.

So the GOAT can't play with rookies? Gotta love the Rodgers apologists.

I think 13 screws and 1 plate in his throwing arm collar bone has a lot to do with it. I think GB is keeping this very low and most on the team don't even know. The injury residual affects, I think are bothering him. I think it is much worse than we all know.  

Just now, mild cheddar said:

I think 13 screws and 1 plate in his throwing arm collar bone has a lot to do with it. I think GB is keeping this very low and most on the team don't even know. The injury residual affects of this injury I think are bothering him. I think it is much worse than we all know.  

Plausible...

3 minutes ago, mild cheddar said:

It would be great to get the opinion of an orthopedist or therapist that is familiar with this kind of injury and it's severity. 13 screws. It must have exploded. 

If that is the reason for Rodgers troubles I am sure the medical staff is aware. Rodgers continually says though that the problem is execution and not being on the same page. Furthermore, if it were a medical condition they would have shut him down.

14 minutes ago, dafreak said:

If that is the reason for Rodgers troubles I am sure the medical staff is aware. Rodgers continually says though that the problem is execution and not being on the same page. Furthermore, if it were a medical condition they would have shut him down.

You raise a good points and I agree with you that some have to know. I can imagine Rogers wanting to dismiss the issue in front of the team and public. He signed his huge contract before his recovery was tested in season games. Maybe they think that 75% of Rogers is worth 100% of someone less skilled? You think they would shut him down, but they let him play on a bad knee since Q3 of the 1st game. His knee was not close to 100%. I'm not saying his arm is useless, I'm surmising there might be residual effect and that he no longer has the same accuracy or zip or perhaps range of motion. Heck, I don't know. Love to hear from a medical professional or other thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, mild cheddar said:

You raise a good points and I agree with you that some have to know. I can imagine Rogers wanting to dismiss the issue in front of the team and public. He signed his huge contract before his recovery was tested in season games. Maybe they think that 75% of Rogers is worth 100% of someone less skilled? You think they would shut him down, but they let him play on a bad knee since Q3 of the 1st game. His knee was not close to 100%. I'm not saying his arm is useless, I'm surmising there might be residual effect and that he no longer has the same accuracy or zip or perhaps range of motion. Heck, I don't know. Love to hear from a medical professional or other thoughts. 

If McCarthy did the proper thing and held Rodgers out of the rest of the first Bears game, then the following week against the Vikings, they probably would have started 0-2. But their record would probably be better now, overall...

55 minutes ago, mild cheddar said:

I think 13 screws and 1 plate in his throwing arm collar bone has a lot to do with it. I think GB is keeping this very low and most on the team don't even know. The injury residual affects, I think are bothering him. I think it is much worse than we all know.  

I hope not. There are some serious scumbags in the NFL, while a pain in the *** Rodgers isn't one of them.

Does it seem to manifest all around his game? From what I have seen it seems to be his deep accuracy that has trailed off more than anything. That might mean he needs to adjust his game to being more WCO styled, or at least the new coach might need to follow that route. His deep passing, especially after getting outside the pocket, was probably one of the biggest strengths he had to his game. I'm not sure there was a better deep passer in the NFL, but haven't looked at any stats to verify. The charts from the last few games show he has struggled mightily from over 20 yards. Wasn't sure if that was the theme all year or not.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

I hope not. There are some serious scumbags in the NFL, while a pain in the *** Rodgers isn't one of them.

Does it seem to manifest all around his game? From what I have seen it seems to be his deep accuracy that has trailed off more than anything. That might mean he needs to adjust his game to being more WCO styled, or at least the new coach might need to follow that route.

His deep accuracy has been a problem but he has missed some pretty easy, short throws too. Throws that almost any QB could make and throws that he has never not made. He is also throwing behind and high on medium length routes. Overall very un-Rodgers esque. His accuracy is what has made him a great QB, and while still good without the elite precision, it has made him and the Packers much more pedestrian.

2 minutes ago, dafreak said:

His deep accuracy has been a problem but he has missed some pretty easy, short throws too. Throws that almost any QB could make and throws that he has never not made. He is also throwing behind and high on medium length routes. Overall very un-Rodgers esque. His accuracy is what has made him a great QB, and while still good without the elite precision, it has made him and the Packers much more pedestrian.

OK, I've only watched I think 2 Packers games that didn't involve Chi, so I didn't want to assume too much. That makes sense.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Does it seem to manifest all around his game? From what I have seen it seems to be his deep accuracy that has trailed off more than anything. That might mean he needs to adjust his game to being more WCO styled, or at least the new coach might need to follow that route. His deep passing, especially after getting outside the pocket, was probably one of the biggest strengths he had to his game. I'm not sure there was a better deep passer in the NFL, but haven't looked at any stats to verify. The charts from the last few games show he has struggled mightily from over 20 yards. Wasn't sure if that was the theme all year or not.

I do not think he is a scumbag, either. I've also seen him miss short passes for no obvious reason. I would add that a strength of his game was eluding rushers and  extending plays. This means odd arm throwing motions. If he has lost range of motion, that could hinder those miracle throws on the run.

Archived