Packers @ Bears: Sunday, December 16th

G08

Coaching

-Matt Nagy provides a schematic and game day advantage as a coach and I cannot remember the last time we had that. Lovie was a defensive scheme advantage, but was not strong in game day management. Trestman was a mess and John Fox was not an advantage to the team in anyway. What a difference it makes having a coach that adds to the effort in both ways.

-Vic Fangio did a really nice job of not getting soft in the 2nd half against Rodgers. He continued to play press coverage until the last drive and he continued to blitz and stunt throughout the 4th quarter. What impresses me the most is how few times you see busts with the defense. You might see a missed tackle or a blown coverage, but you rarely see mass confusion and infighting.

-The fake punt was a stupid call and should not have been run. They had more defenders than the Bears had blocker, the design was horrible and execution just as bad. The Bears special teams is not at the level where they should try that stuff. Leave the offense out there or just punt and pin them deep, which you had done.

Offense

-I was hard on Mitch Trubisky after the Rams game. It was the worst game of his career. To bounce back with the chips on the table and play an excellent game was awesome to see. This was the game Mitch needs to play for the Bears to be legit Super Bowl contenders. It wasn't a big flashy game, he just kept completing back breaking completion after completion and then the 3rd and 10 run in the 4th deflated the Packers. Great game for him.

-Jordan Howard continues to do a nice job of making a cut and hitting the correct hole. Earlier in the season he was getting caught up with the OL and not making the cut to get clear of the soup and into the 2nd level.

-Tarik Cohen makes so many plays that you can forgive the mistakes [fumbled hand off, out of bounds 1" short of the 1st down] and I have no problem with the sideline magnet I want him healthy and that means more than a couple of yards here or there. The TD catch was nothing short of incredible. What a talent.

-Allen Robinson is starting to show why he is worth 14 million/season. He made 2 huge catches and conversions and the catch on the sideline where he was just pushed out of bounds was so close to being another huge play. Being able to start the game going to Robinson, who is big and consistent in his routes, is a great way to ease Trubisky in and get him comfortable.

-It never feels like Trey Burton is doing a ton and then you check the box score and he has 4 catches for 40 yards and a TD, which is a really good day. 

-I think one thing that might go unnoticed is the threat of Taylor Gabriel. Teams have to play the Bears with 2 deep because of the speed, which allows the Bears to gouge them underneath. He is obviously not Tyreek Hill, but the Chiefs use the threat of Hill in a similar way to create underneath space for Kelce and all the crossing routes.

-Do I need to like Josh Bellamy after this game? That was a great catch and he was downing the Packers inside the 5 on a bunch of punts. This is a weird feeling and I am not sure what I am suppose to do with a great game from Bellamy.

-Adam Shaheen is coming alive and it adds to the offense. This would be huge to see as the playoffs loom because if the Bears have a TE that can block and still stay on the field and threaten in the passing game I am not sure what LBs are going to do. I really do not know how you have players on the field at LB that can cover Cohen and Shaheen.

-James Daniels had some rough moments, but he was body bagging guys in the run game. The 3rd and 2 run stuff of Mizzell was on Daniels.

-Charles Leno dealt with the ghost of Clay Matthews and owned him for most of the game. 

-Bobbie Massie had some issues in pass pro.

-Bryan Witzmann with another strong effort against Green Bay.

-Cody Whitehair missed a block on a Mizzell screen that would have been Mitch's 3rd TD, but outside of that he had a very strong game.

Defense

-Khalil Mack pursuing the ball doesn't belong on Fox NFL Sunday, it belongs on the Discovery Channel. It is like watching a tiger, you think it is moving slowly and then the scary music starts and it takes off and the next thing you know it is mauling a gazelle. Mack starts each rush and looks like he is walking and then he hits the OT and is shot out of a cannon and finishes the play. The sacks were awesome and Jason Spriggs could not have stopped Mack with a handgun and a lightsaber, but when your best player pursues the ball all the way across the field that sets a tone and a culture. #thankgruden

-Leonard Floyd has played really good football for weeks now, but he probably played the best game of his career against the Packers and a very good OT in Bhaktiari, who is allowed to hold more than any player I have ever see. He was all over the field and finally stopped trying to power rush guys and simply used his speed to clean up messy pockets. I saw on Twitter that someone said after his 2nd stat he went right to the Packers bench and gave them the "checks watch, your time is up" celebration, bad ***.

-Roquan Smith has figured out the NFL game. He is a star. He simply flies around and makes plays and just punished people when he tackled them. You do not see the false steps and late reads anymore. Watch out.

-The Bears DL depth is silly. Roy Robertson has seen more of Aaron Rodgers this season than Aaron's mom. 11:00 in the 3rd quarter, go back and watch him throw the LG onto the ground right after the snap with a long arm bull rush. Utter dominance from a backup, that is how you know you are good.

-I am really happy that Sherrick McManis stepped up and played a great game. The dude has been here through the entire gong show and when he got a chance to play defense a couple of years ago he was bad and got benched. He is not Bryce Callahan, but he is playing great when given the chance on defense. The pass break up to force a field goal was a huge play.

-Can anyone remember the last WR catch where Fuller or Prince were not right there? I cannot. I honestly cannot remember the last easy completion the Bears gave up, other than the 2 blown coverages against the Giants.

-Eddie Goldman continues to be a dominant player. He will never get the attention he deserves, but he is now generating consistent pressure when he is in the game.

-Danny Trevathan had a very good game. He is such a steady player against the run and coverage.

-I wonder if Adrian Amos will be back next year. So much of what the Bears do is based on the fact that they get really good safety play and rarely get beat deep it at all. I wonder if they will value the continuity on the back end. Amos is an exceptional tackler and is just so sound in his assignments.

-Pat O'Donnell is probably punting his way to a new deal. Great game yesterday added on to a couple of strong efforts in the 2nd half of the season.

59 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Packers WR Davante Adams discusses team’s 5-8-1 record inside visitors locker room at Soldier Field after Bears clinch NFC North: “A record stands for a lot but we’re not a bad team. We’re still one of the best teams in the league.”

Image result for maury povich thats a lie gif

He just misspoke. He meant to say, "One of the best 20 teams in the league."

On 12/16/2018 at 3:48 PM, dafreak said:

Yes, I think we do need to diminish Tru's game against the Bucs. And yes, Rodgers is still the King QB of the North but ill take my chances with Tru moving forward. I dont want a prima dona QB, Tru is the exact opposite and has done a helluva job in year 1 with new teammates and in a new system.

One of the reasons why Rogers had such a long streak without an interception is that he is leading the league in throw away passes. IMO, I would gladly have Biscuit over Rogers because Biscuit is humble, coachable, a much better athlete, younger and ascending in his career. Biscuit has leadership qualities and many intangibles that will make him a great QB and leader of the offense. Rogers seems discontent and has lost capability due to the long term affects of past injuries. IMO he is in the twilight of his career. He is still a great QB, but well beyond his prime. He also is a huge cap hit vs Biscuit and Biscuit significantly outperformed him. The cap hit may force them to rely on the draft more than other teams who will be active in free agency. 

Archived