GDT Week 15: Baltimore Ravens vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

DreamKid

3 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

So who got the Synopsis? That retail manager time of the year and I didn't see the game.

What we look like?

bad in the first half, good in the second half.

Are the Chargers in trouble?

If they can't stop the run, yes.

Are WE in trouble?

If we lose, we're done.

Are we going to the playoffs?

We have to win out and potentially get help from Pittsburgh.

So who got the Synopsis? That retail manager time of the year and I didn't see the game.

What we look like?

Are WE in trouble?

Question mark?

We will see. Our offense is seeing there first ever true test under Lamar Jackson. The Chargers matchup very well against us and have historically given us fits. They’ve also had plenty of time to rest and recover while our guys will be a day down in this one.

The one boon that we have is there is a strong possibility that the Chargers will play without Keenan Allen, making our secondary’s jobs a bit easier.

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

bad in the first half, good in the second half.

If they can't stop the run, yes.

If we lose, we're done.

We have to win out and potentially get help from Pittsburgh.

If we win out, we have nothing to worry about. We control our own destiny. I'm just sad I won't be able to see the Chargers game either.

Thanks for the replies fellas @AFlaccoSeagulls @diamondbull424

Oh, for the forum... FLACCO FOREVER! :D

3 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

What we look like?

Are WE in trouble?

Question mark?

This was not a pretty win. Both Marty and Lamar struggled with gameplan and play. Lamar missed some golden opportunities due to very ugly throws. Was lucky he wasn’t intercepted and fumbled early. Got it together later in the game and had some key 3 and 4 down conversions, especially a 22 yard scramble for a new set of downs was important. Most important drive was the final one. Defense held Tampa and with 7 minutes left of the 4th quarter, Lamar and the running game ran down the clock. Last drive was essentially a scoring drive we just never got points from.

What we look like?

Defense balled out. If we look past 2 long third down conversions, one where Winston scrambled and we couldn’t cover Evans deep which resulted in a 65 yard passing play was ugly in particular, the defense was excellent. On a 3 and goal the Bucs got a phantom PI call in the endzone which set up a running TD. The scoring came after Lamar fumbling a snap. Defense also held Tampa after Cyrus Jones brainfarted himself into Harbaughs dogzone, when he for some reason decided to touch the football on a punt after he decided not to catch it.

Not if we play like yesterday. The running game struggled in the first part of the game, which resulted in several 3 and long which we couldn’t convert in the passing game. After those series we were also lucky, that the Bucs receivers couldn’t catch. If they converted we could have been down 2 touchdowns early. We made a bunch of mistakes with holding calls negating long gains. We had the defense come up with an interception only to see the offense go from 1 and 10 to 4 and 41 – and then we didn’t get off the snap when punting resulting in a penalty.

Those of us who criticize Lamars passing got some extra ammunition, if he once again versus the Chargers can’t hit a wide open receiver for a TD, we won’t win that game.

Are WE in trouble?

If we doesn’t play more mistake free football, YES. We barely beat out a weaker Tampa team.

So far yes, although the Patriots didn’t help us, and we have to root for the Giants and Redskins to beat the Colts and Titans to give us a better chance to get the WC.

Question mark?

As I see it, we have to win out. Snead and Andrews are our most prolific pass catchers at the moment, but we need to get John Ross and his big play ability going. These grinding drives have worked well enough, but it would be nice to open up the game more and get points on the board “easier”.

6 hours ago, Danand said:

This was not a pretty win. Both Marty and Lamar struggled with gameplan and play. Lamar missed some golden opportunities due to very ugly throws. Was lucky he wasn’t intercepted and fumbled early. Got it together later in the game and had some key 3 and 4 down conversions, especially a 22 yard scramble for a new set of downs was important. Most important drive was the final one. Defense held Tampa and with 7 minutes left of the 4th quarter, Lamar and the running game ran down the clock. Last drive was essentially a scoring drive we just never got points from.

What we look like?

Defense balled out. If we look past 2 long third down conversions, one where Winston scrambled and we couldn’t cover Evans deep which resulted in a 65 yard passing play was ugly in particular, the defense was excellent. On a 3 and goal the Bucs got a phantom PI call in the endzone which set up a running TD. The scoring came after Lamar fumbling a snap. Defense also held Tampa after Cyrus Jones brainfarted himself into Harbaughs dogzone, when he for some reason decided to touch the football on a punt after he decided not to catch it.

Not if we play like yesterday. The running game struggled in the first part of the game, which resulted in several 3 and long which we couldn’t convert in the passing game. After those series we were also lucky, that the Bucs receivers couldn’t catch. If they converted we could have been down 2 touchdowns early. We made a bunch of mistakes with holding calls negating long gains. We had the defense come up with an interception only to see the offense go from 1 and 10 to 4 and 41 – and then we didn’t get off the snap when punting resulting in a penalty.

Those of us who criticize Lamars passing got some extra ammunition, if he once again versus the Chargers can’t hit a wide open receiver for a TD, we won’t win that game.

Are WE in trouble?

If we doesn’t play more mistake free football, YES. We barely beat out a weaker Tampa team.

So far yes, although the Patriots didn’t help us, and we have to root for the Giants and Redskins to beat the Colts and Titans to give us a better chance to get the WC.

Question mark?

As I see it, we have to win out. Snead and Andrews are our most prolific pass catchers at the moment, but we need to get John Ross and his big play ability going. These grinding drives have worked well enough, but it would be nice to open up the game more and get points on the board “easier”.

I wouldn’t say we barely edged the Bucs out. If we weren’t “playing nice” we score on that final drive and beat them by multiple scores. And that’s with Cyrus Jones having a monumental brain fart that led to a score. If not for that, with our offense being in a groove in the second half we likely score again there going up by multiple scores.

No offense to Tampa, but we controlled this game. Once the downpour slowed down to a bearable level, there was nothing they could do to stop us. Prior to that the weather seemed to control the game more than the Bucs.

You say if not for Tampa dropping balls we might’ve been down by multiple scores, yet that was a product of the weather and slippery balls combined with the fact that some of their receivers drop plenty of passes regardless. The weather also directly impacted Lamar fumbling the snap leading to a turnover and a touchdown. So we can’t have it both ways. We can’t equally say that Lamar fumbles that snap in better conditions, while the Bucs hold onto those passes in better conditions.

All in all, the Bucs weren’t a challenge for this team, the challenge for this squad was overcoming the weather conditions and they proved, in the end, to be up to the challenge. The Bucs had a gameplan to try and stop the run, but once Lamar hit a couple deep patterns against their zone defense and once he held onto the ball on some of those read options and picked up some yards, he forced their defense to account for his speed on the outside and give up more ground inside. And once Dixon and Edwards are given some space to get going they’re difficult to slow down. Tampa knew what we were going to do, yet couldn’t stop it.

On another note, the key against the Chargers will be for Lamar to run the football on the read options early. That will put pressure on the Chargers defense to account for his speed, which in turn should open up more passing lanes for him as well as more rushing lanes for our RBs. And once that happens that should keep them off balance enough to allow our offense to make plays consistently. The only problem is they have defensive ends that have the athleticism that can hold up against Lamar. They also have Derwin James, who Lamar shredded in college, but on a better defense, he’s got the help to make things difficult for Lamar. Wouldn’t surprise me if they use James as a spy on Lamar all game, have their DEs practice contain and rely on their big DTs to clog things up enough inside to make things difficult for us.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

On another note, the key against the Chargers will be for Lamar to run the football on the read options early. That will put pressure on the Chargers defense to account for his speed, which in turn should open up more passing lanes for him as well as more rushing lanes for our RBs. And once that happens that should keep them off balance enough to allow our offense to make plays consistently. The only problem is they have defensive ends that have the athleticism that can hold up against Lamar. They also have Derwin James, who Lamar shredded in college, but on a better defense, he’s got the help to make things difficult for Lamar. Wouldn’t surprise me if they use James as a spy on Lamar all game, have their DEs practice contain and rely on their big DTs to clog things up enough inside to make things difficult for us.

Yup the Chargers match up extremely well against us on both sides of the ball. I've always been more worried about playing then I was the Chiefs. I'm scared this game could look like the Panthers game but let's hope that's not the case.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I wouldn’t say we barely edged the Bucs out. If we weren’t “playing nice” we score on that final drive and beat them by multiple scores. And that’s with Cyrus Jones having a monumental brain fart that led to a score. If not for that, with our offense being in a groove in the second half we likely score again there going up by multiple scores.

No offense to Tampa, but we controlled this game. Once the downpour slowed down to a bearable level, there was nothing they could do to stop us. Prior to that the weather seemed to control the game more than the Bucs.

You say if not for Tampa dropping balls we might’ve been down by multiple scores, yet that was a product of the weather and slippery balls combined with the fact that some of their receivers drop plenty of passes regardless. The weather also directly impacted Lamar fumbling the snap leading to a turnover and a touchdown. So we can’t have it both ways. We can’t equally say that Lamar fumbles that snap in better conditions, while the Bucs hold onto those passes in better conditions.

All in all, the Bucs weren’t a challenge for this team, the challenge for this squad was overcoming the weather conditions and they proved, in the end, to be up to the challenge. The Bucs had a gameplan to try and stop the run, but once Lamar hit a couple deep patterns against their zone defense and once he held onto the ball on some of those read options and picked up some yards, he forced their defense to account for his speed on the outside and give up more ground inside. And once Dixon and Edwards are given some space to get going they’re difficult to slow down. Tampa knew what we were going to do, yet couldn’t stop it.

I believe I wrote somewhere that we could have scored once more making it a two score game. Nevertheless, the point I was trying to make, was that I felt this game could easily have swung differently. Ofc. elements played a part in Tampas drops as well as Lamars fumbles, but just as games didn't swing our way this year in tight losses, I felt it did yesterday. What turned out to be the determing factor was, that when our defence had to make a stop, they did and the offense took over and closed the game. 

45 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

So are you cool with JH being the coach next year?

A month ago it was nearly unanimous  that you guys wanted him out 

You are listening too much to 1 of our guys in NFL general. I think the consensus has been that Harbaugh will get to play out his contract and we will take it from there. 

Most here support Harbaugh to a point where our only concern is him being too loyal to some of his coaches. That hasn't changed this year and once again we are right in the middle of the pack of teams competing for a playoff spot. 

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

So are you cool with JH being the coach next year?

A month ago it was nearly unanimous  that you guys wanted him out 

See my comments below.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

You are listening too much to 1 of our guys in NFL general. I think the consensus has been that Harbaugh will get to play out his contract and we will take it from there. 

Most here support Harbaugh to a point where our only concern is him being too loyal to some of his coaches. That hasn't changed this year and once again we are right in the middle of the pack of teams competing for a playoff spot. 

Harbaugh's contract expires after this season. We signed him to a 1-year extension last year, and this was a "prove it" year. I still believe that if we miss the playoffs this year, Harbaugh is out. If he can't get over that hurdle for the 6th time in 7 years, it's simply time for a scenery/message/culture change away from Harbaugh and hopefully to someone who brings their own system to the team, whether that's a Kyle Shanahan and his offense, or Sean McVay and his offense, or Pete Carroll and his defense. That's who I would want. However, what makes me nervous about firing Harbaugh is that IF we decided to hire someone from the outside, the chances of us losing James Urban, Marty and Roman are high, and I still believe those 3 pieces (or at least two of them) are crucial for Lamar and this offense to continue building. Our run game is dynamic and dominant under Greg Roman's architecture, and I don't want to lose that because we're changing head coaches.

EDIT: I should clarify - the coaches I listed above are examples of guys who have brought system's to their respective teams, not coaches I want us to pursue. I want those types of guys, if we move on from Harbaugh.

Archived