Thunder & Lightnin'

ZenoRazon

Heard a TV guy talking about Mark Ingram as Thunder and Alvin Kamara as Lightnin'.  These guys are close to the same size and not all that dramatically different when it comes to running style. 

I just don't see it. 

Big Mike  Alstott and little speedy Warrick Dunn, yep...Thunder & Lightnin'  Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris, hell...Bronko Nagurski and The Galloping Ghost Red Grange.....Thunder & Lightnin'.  Obviously the classic would be Army's Mr.Inside (Doc Blanchard) & Mr. Outside  (Glen Davis a 9.6 man))  both won the Heisman, but that's college.

I get Ingram and Kamara aren't a fullback with a running back****, those days are gone.  What we now have is....a change of pace.  That big banger and that zoooommm.

Other than the ones I mentioned.  Who is the best Thunder & Lightnin' duo in your opinion?  This can be that classic back in the day fullback/tailback or what we see today.

I have one in mind that's got lost with time.

**** I do think a FB/TE in front of a speedy RB would be great.  Will he block, go out for a pass, bang the line? A place for a Tebow, hell..will he throw?  Chargers**** had fullback Keith Lincoln in front of Oregon State hurdler Paul Lowe, Lincoln passed, blocked, kicked, punted, return kicks and punts. ran the ball, caught the ball.  With Lowe (first play in franchise history he returns a KO 105 yards) averaging close to 5 yards a carry. Probably the greatest "who?" RB ever.

****  that Charger team should have been the first AFL team in a SB.

10 hours ago, Norm said:

Mack the Truck Lee Hill and Abney Hayes, right Brutal/ccrider/etc

Is this THE Norm?

Actually Hill came after Haynes, but in the days of Abner Haynes (first AFL star) he had big Curtis McClinton at fullback.  What first is McClinton known for?

9 hours ago, KellChippy said:

I think Derrick Henry and Dion is the best current example of two rbs that get significant time with very different styles.

Good one, then there's the 225 pound Jordan Howard and the 180 pound Tariq Cohen with the Bears.

8 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Brandon Jacobs and who the hell ever on the Giants from like 06-12 was a nice combo. Barber effed up what could have been a truly lethal combo thank God. But Bradshaw did some nice damage too.

Ahmad Bradshaw I rhink, yep, good one. 

Jacobs was what 260 pounds or so? The best 250 pounder plus, the Bills Cookie Gilchrist, the first AFL 1000 yard rusher.

I do think Barkley is already the best RB the Giants have ever had.

A few I doubt will be mentioned.

Willie Galimore was one of the greatest runners ever, but, he shared carries with a stud fullback Rick Casares with the Bears, so they both are...who?  ...because they don't have the numbers.

While that Jim Taylor/Paul Hornung duo was great, we really can't call Hornung....Lightnin'

John Riggins had Joe Washington

Jets had Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer.

Who can give me some others?

11 hours ago, ZenoRazon said:

Is this THE Norm?

Actually Hill came after Haynes, but in the days of Abner Haynes (first AFL star) he had big Curtis McClinton at fullback.  What first is McClinton known for?

Not gonna lie, I had to check and at least the year I clicked Abner and Hill had both recorded yards. I actually set out to find a game of his once but was unable to lol and yes this is The Norm. Whatever that means

Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams were ridiculous in their prime.

2008 - DeAngelo Williams ran for 1515 yards, 18 TDs (20 total), 5.5 YPC; Jonathan Stewart ran for 836 yards, 10 TDs, 4.5 YPC

2009 - DeAngelo Williams ran for 1117 yards, 7 TDs, 5.2 YPC; Jonathan Stewart ran for 1133 yards, 10 TDs (11 total), 5.1 YPC (only duo to both rush for over 1100 yards in a season)

2011 - DeAngelo Williams ran for 836 yards, 7 TDs, 5.4 YPC; Jonathan Stewart ran for 761 yards, 4 TDs, 5.4 YPC.  This was Newton's rookie season and he also added 706 yards, 14 TDs, 5.6 YPC.  First team in history with 3 rushers over 700 yards and Football Outsiders ranked it the best running game in their calculations history.

It's a shame Stewart and Williams couldn't stay healthy at the same time after that.  They were perfect together.

Archived