Should there be an Individual Award given to Kickers?

SpanosPayYourRent

Kickers and Punters are very under appreciated. They’ve the hardest job in the NFL and never get recognized, I think there needs to be an award for the best kicker and punter for each conference 

The award will be based off of completed field goals, completion percentage and length of Field Goals. These stats will be rounded up too determine the best kicker for each conference.

The punter is more tricky to be honest it’s hard to determine what makes them good, tell me what you think is good criteria for this cause I can’t think of one.

Anyways do you think this should be a thing in the NFL?

Nah. Unless you're going to do an award for every position, like the NCAAF, I don't really see any reason for it. Maybe add a special teams player of the year, to go along with offense and defense. But it'd be weird to have an award just for kickers when no other position has that. The pro-bowl and all-pro teams are the position specific awards, basically.

26 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Long Snappers are the most overrated position in football, Centers can do their job at a short range. 

This isn't a madden video game. Snapping the ball takes consistent precise timing and accuracy. Not just anyone can do it. See the Bears after Patrick Mannelly retired for a great example of this. Mannelly was one of (if not) the best long-snappers in the league and as soon he was gone there was a clear drop off with constant botches and a carousel at the position. It took a long time to finally solidify it. 

Yes, I do think kickers should get more recognition, as well as more money. 

Look at how many games that are decided by a kicker and how hard it is for teams to find one that is consistent. They may not play 800 snaps a season, but the snaps they do play have a significant impact on each game and can even be the difference between the playoffs or sitting at home..

16 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This isn't a madden video game. Snapping the ball takes consistent precise timing and accuracy. Not just anyone can do it. See the Bears after Patrick Mannelly retired for a great example of this. Mannelly was one of (if not) the best long-snappers in the league and as soon he was gone there was a clear drop off with constant botches and a carousel at the position. It took a long time to finally solidify it. 

Long Snappers being overrated (I dare the average NFL fan to name more than one, some can't even name their own) should've been enough to let you know it was sarcasm mate.

Archived