2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

Signing guys this free agency doesn’t hurt us going forward. There’s only like 2 or 3 players that we will need to extend in the next 3 years (Robby, possibly Leo and Lee). So going out and signing guys this year doesn’t prevent us from doing anything. We will still have the same draft picks to use. 

Signing guys this year’s gives us time to build through the draft. I can’t think of Jets player that should be getting more reps. The guys on the bench are what they are. We need to add talent to this team via free agency. 

I am curious about Spencer Long and Isaiah Crowell's status as Jets.

As for Long, keeping him merely costs Jets 6.5m. I would love to move on from him but there is a problem.  Jets are not alone when it comes searching for OL upgrades so releasing Long will make 2 holes in OL. Jets and several other teams may go after same mid-high level talented OLs as we can't guarantee Jets will win the battles.  Surely, there are plenty OL to draft but Jets also have needs for other certain talents.   As now, Jets know Long can play LG so it is better to keep him around until the circumstance clearly changes.

As for Crowell, he can offer speed and power for only 4m base salary. His vision keeps him from a legit NFL RB. However, Maccagnan and Gase have low opinion at RB. Gase will do anything out of incumbent RB at first but as time is progressing Gase will abandon the run game in favor of air action. Can't imagine what would happen to most expensive or egotistical RB in that situation.  In the past, Maccagnan had no problem trying to get high talent level player for one season or two as long as Macc could lose a little in exchange. Surely, in the media circus, Maccagnan or Jets have connected high money demand FA but will he actually do the seal?  Jets simply can't cut players you hate to reduce the roster prior to FA for popularly mentioned FA players.

Do we think Maccagnan will sign top FA and then trade being replaced player away?  I don't know.  Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold situation isn't included since Darnold was rookie.

After 3rd day from Super Bowl, we will know the nature of Maccagnan.  Same story or improvement.  

13 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

As for Long, keeping him merely costs Jets 6.5m. I would love to move on from him but there is a problem.  Jets are not alone when it comes searching for OL upgrades so releasing Long will make 2 holes in OL. Jets and several other teams may go after same mid-high level talented OLs as we can't guarantee Jets will win the battles.  Surely, there are plenty OL to draft but Jets also have needs for other certain talents.   As now, Jets know Long can play LG so it is better to keep him around until the circumstance clearly changes.

As for Crowell, he can offer speed and power for only 4m base salary. His vision keeps him from a legit NFL RB. However, Maccagnan and Gase have low opinion at RB. Gase will do anything out of incumbent RB at first but as time is progressing Gase will abandon the run game in favor of air action. Can't imagine what would happen to most expensive or egotistical RB in that situation.  In the past, Maccagnan had no problem trying to get high talent level player for one season or two as long as Macc could lose a little in exchange. Surely, in the media circus, Maccagnan or Jets have connected high money demand FA but will he actually do the seal?  Jets simply can't cut players you hate to reduce the roster prior to FA for popularly mentioned FA players.

Do we think Maccagnan will sign top FA and then trade being replaced player away?  I don't know.  Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold situation isn't included since Darnold was rookie.

After 3rd day from Super Bowl, we will know the nature of Maccagnan.  Same story or improvement.  

Macc has always operated where he has a board and goes after players and doesn’t cut a guy until he gets the replacement. He knows how much the guy costs. So Long won’t be cut unless we get a starting C or G. Harrison is also a FA, so he for sure won’t cut Long unless we bring back Harrison and get a starting G or C. He’s smart in this regard. Problem is it’s one of the only things he’s good at.

Reagrdung Crowell... some I think really like Powell. But fact is it’s a very minimal chance Powell is a Jet going forward as a FA and 3 other RBs on the roster. Where Crowell becomes expendable is if Bell is brought in. I wouldn’t even cut Crowell if Coleman or Ingram we’re brought in, bc that would make a nice 2 RBs. But if Bell is brought in he has to get a ton of touches, so I’d cut Crowell then. I’d also look for ya to draft a guy as well. Cannon is a fringe roster guy and McGuire is average at best.

An interesting name since we're switching to a 4-3 is Landon Collins. Landing him would allow our secondary to be very good and allow us to use Adams as a swiss army knife. Letting him do whatever he wants. Cover, blitz, etc. Essentially what he already does, but with even more freedom.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

An interesting name since we're switching to a 4-3 is Landon Collins. Landing him would allow our secondary to be very good and allow us to use Adams as a swiss army knife. Letting him do whatever he wants. Cover, blitz, etc. Essentially what he already does, but with even more freedom.

Do you think the Giants would let him leave, he is a very good player. With that said he would be a great pickup.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:35 AM, JetsandI said:

I think Long did Ok as a G. I think if he is willing to rework his contract I would keep him because he can play along the line if a starter goes down. I would also like to keep Crowell. I think he is pretty good and if you give him a OL he can be a 3 down back. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think Long did Ok as a G. I think if he is willing to rework his contract I would keep him because he can play along the line if a starter goes down. I would also like to keep Crowell. I think he is pretty good and if you give him a OL he can be a 3 down back. 

He really didn't do OK at guard.  If he is willing to rework his contract I think he's a worth while back up, but that is about it.

Pretty sure Bobby had mentioned it before but Macc won’t move on from anyone under contract unless he signs or traded for his replacement before hand, one of Maccs few bright spots, so I wouldn’t anticipate us moving on from Long or Crowell until we sign there replacements(Paradis/Bell?)

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Pretty sure Bobby had mentioned it before but Macc won’t move on from anyone under contract unless he signs or traded for his replacement before hand, one of Maccs few bright spots, so I wouldn’t anticipate us moving on from Long or Crowell until we sign there replacements(Paradis/Bell?)

Exactly. He’s shown he doesn’t cut till there’s a replacement.

We will find out soon enough about Long and Crowell. 

Long is due $3M on February 6th. If we keep him pas that day, we might as well keep him since he provides quality depth along iOL even if he's a poor starter. 

Similarly Crowell $2M of Crowell's contract becomes guaranteed on the 3rd day of Free Agency. The only way it makes sense to cut him is if we sign Bell on the first or second day of free agency. Otherwise, he is likely staying put as well. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

See for me I’d rather spend else where, him and Jamal are basically the same player and would rather not commit long term to another Saftey when Jamal is gonna be due for a massive pay raise in the not so distant future.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. He’s shown he doesn’t cut till there’s a replacement.

I don't recall he did that way.  Always signed FA to fill holes.  Never sign FA and then cut other player for same job.

Most reminiscent event was trading Teddy Bridgewater in favor of drafted Sam Darnold.  That's it.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

See for me I’d rather spend else where, him and Jamal are basically the same player and would rather not commit long term to another Saftey when Jamal is gonna be due for a massive pay raise in the not so distant future.

Absolutely I’d rather spend the money in many other areas. But if we miss. He’s a talent that deserves money. If we can’t get the players we want... we still have to spend money. So he’d be an option if look intoif we can’t spend our money on OL, Edge, etc.

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely I’d rather spend the money in many other areas. But if we miss. He’s a talent that deserves money. If we can’t get the players we want... we still have to spend money. So he’d be an option if look intoif we can’t spend our money on OL, Edge, etc.

I think we would look in different direction, Like CB and OLB for example, could see us spending big money on Barr and using him as a Hybrid SAM/DE