2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. And as always, the players talent gives a longer string. Hunt is a lot more talented then that of Robby. So to not give Hunt a 2nd Chance, but to give Robby 3rd and 4th chances... is just kinda hypocritical. Until we have not 1 player that’s ever had legal trouble (probably won’t ever happen), we shouldn’t make bold statements about a player when we lack talent. We should be looking at all avenues, bargains, etc.

But why are we even publicizing it? I swear the Johnson's father if hes still alive, must think his sons really are the biggest morons alive. These kids grew up under the ownership of a multi billion dollar corporation and dont know the first thing about conduct.

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

But why are we even publicizing it? I swear the Johnson's father if hes still alive, must think his sons really are the biggest morons alive. These kids grew up under the ownership of a multi billion dollar corporation and dont know the first thing about conduct.

It was a Manish article is I recall... so take that as you may. And I don’t think the article had direct quotes from Macc or the Johnsons. I could be wrong though. In all honesty I quit reading Manish years ago.

54 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It was a Manish article is I recall... so take that as you may. And I don’t think the article had direct quotes from Macc or the Johnsons. I could be wrong though. In all honesty I quit reading Manish years ago.

Yeah, until Joe and Evan made me honestly feel bad for Manish. Personally, I think hes gotten better, but I still think he's a snake too. Costello and Hughes are much better when it comes to Jets writing. 

Unfortunately I believe  the report. Mikey Mac wouldnt bring in Kareem Hunt. I just hope they are super aggressive in FA because it is really the only chance we have, even though its not the best way to operate. 

9 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Reality is if someone under as much scrutiny as Hunt is picked up by the Jets the NYC media would have a field day. His best chance is to go to a smaller market where he won't grab headlines or to a place like Dallas or NE where winning > everything so their market won't make any fuss about it. I don't respect's Mack's explanation though. This team isn't a political tool for you to display your moral views. This is a football team, and one that needs all the help it can get.

We picked up Vick and the dog fighting stuff was a non issue. Now it’s slightly different because Vick was in Philly first. But that shows that whatever distraction Bunt is, it’ll die down after some time.

4 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

Are you suggesting or have knowledge that Macc has a personal experience with domestic violence?  i have not read or saw anything ... would be interested in any link or source for that.

I would have claimed Hunt off waivers.  Personally I feel people who make mistakes deserve a second chance (aside from murder or murder involvement.. which is why I am still baffled by how Ray Lewis has been immortalized in football circles).  I am just saying I respect the opinion and get that point of view too.  These guys make millions of dollars and like it or not, it is a privilege for them to do so.  They need to understand their audience may turn away and then so does the money ... for all involved in the league. 

Macc and his wife had a good friend who was a victim of DV and was then killed in a murder suicide.  Macc's wife runs a charity to help DV victims.  He has stated on numerous occasions that DV is a non starter for him.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

Are you suggesting or have knowledge that Macc has a personal experience with domestic violence?  i have not read or saw anything ... would be interested in any link or source for that.

I would have claimed Hunt off waivers.  Personally I feel people who make mistakes deserve a second chance (aside from murder or murder involvement.. which is why I am still baffled by how Ray Lewis has been immortalized in football circles).  I am just saying I respect the opinion and get that point of view too.  These guys make millions of dollars and like it or not, it is a privilege for them to do so.  They need to understand their audience may turn away and then so does the money ... for all involved in the league. 

Macc and his wife’s friend was a victim of a domestic murder suicide

14 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Macc and his wife had a good friend who was a victim of DV and was then killed in a murder suicide.  Macc's wife runs a charity to help DV victims.  He has stated on numerous occasions that DV is a non starter for him.  

Which means nothing when it comes to the Jets.

I have my own business and I wouldn’t victimise someone if they committed a crime (let’s say theft) because my mother in law had her house broke into. 

That’s making personal decisions effect a business (or in this case football team) and Macc isn’t even the boss he’s just an employee. 

If that’s the reason we don’t sign Hunt it’s a joke. I’d imagine we all know people who have suffered from DV which is just horrible but you can’t condem someone after they’ve faced their punishment. It’s not like Hunt hurt someone he knows personally.

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

Which means nothing when it comes to the Jets.

I have my own business and I wouldn’t victimise someone if they committed a crime (let’s say theft) because my mother in law had her house broke into. 

That’s making personal decisions effect a business (or in this case football team) and Macc isn’t even the boss he’s just an employee. 

If that’s the reason we don’t sign Hunt it’s a joke. I’d imagine we all know people who have suffered from DV which is just horrible but you can’t condem someone after they’ve faced their punishment. It’s not like Hunt hurt someone he knows personally.

For sure.  Just stating what is out there.  I have no concrete evidence that Macc would never sign someone for that reason, and neither does Manish probably, but it was is being reported.

4 hours ago, rampantjet said:

For sure.  Just stating what is out there.  I have no concrete evidence that Macc would never sign someone for that reason, and neither does Manish probably, but it was is being reported.

Correct - Manish does his best to read the tea leaves and writes something, which isn't actually reporting. 
In reality, the Jets most likely won't be in the "hunt" for him because they'll focus on adding players who can help them now as opposed to someone who is going to miss 6-10 games. 

53 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

In reality, the Jets most likely won't be in the "hunt" for him because they'll focus on adding players who can help them now as opposed to someone who is going to miss 6-10 games. 

I don't think that is why.   If one year contract is his value then Jets have zero shot to get him.  Maccagnan is type of GM who won't chase player who he doesn't think he can win him away from a contending team as there is the report about other teams than Jets that pursue him.

That would be totally different if 3 year contract was his value. 

On 1/29/2019 at 10:30 PM, SDotNova said:

We picked up Vick and the dog fighting stuff was a non issue. Now it’s slightly different because Vick was in Philly first. But that shows that whatever distraction Bunt is, it’ll die down after some time.

Yeah, Vick erased his past with his performance. People are quick to forget when you're a winner.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:49 PM, KingOfTheDot said:

I don’t think our market is that big of a deal in this case because what Hunt did happened while in KC. Typically the stink is on the team that has the player not the team that picks him up. 

49ers got flake for Foster 

Redskins got some for picking him up so soon but it wore off once things cleared up.

Hunt’s situation is all but over outside of the suspension, I think any team picking him up won’t have to worry about a huge amount of backlash. 

Redskin are hardly a big market team and Dan Snyder seems like he's attracted to negative press at this point.

12 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I know Sanu has been mentioned as a potential cap casualty. Here’s another: Marvin Jones. 2 years, 18 mil left. Coming off a down year/injury in Detroit. 

I'm all for Sanu - mostly because he's a Scarlet Knight.

19 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah, Vick erased his past with his performance. People are quick to forget when you're a winner.

Redskin are hardly a big market team and Dan Snyder seems like he's attracted to negative press at this point.

I'm all for Sanu - mostly because he's a Scarlet Knight.

I'd welcome Sanu. But there's other options I'd for surer have ranked ahead of him.

Topic of the day: Le'Veon Bell

I would urge not to read much into the Le'Veon rumors at this point; his agent is going through the motions and playing the game. Reports that he wants to play for Miami reeks of a ploy to get the Jets to be more aggressive; between the not-so-secret admiration Maccagnan and Gase share for a player of his ilk, the animosity between Gase and his former team, and them being a divisional opponent, the agent could be looking to strike a nerve. Miami is looking to tank, not sign a 27 year old RB. 

Le'Veon is an intriguing player because he's likely going to get a monster 3-4 year deal, meaning the team that signs him will either be one with cheap young talent hoping to catapult into contention or a team operating in a 2-3 year "win now" window. 

Cross Indianapolis off the list, they won't sign him. You can cross off Philadelphia too; they're exiting that "win now" stage and are looking to build a sustainable winner instead; maybe 2 years ago, but with Carson's contract expiring after this year his cap figure is about to spike. 

Rumors that Oakland will sign him seem ridiculous to me, considering they traded their two best players away primarily because they couldn't pay him. Raiders probably will be low budget this year, focusing on building through the draft with their eyes on their 2020 move to Las Vegas as their "splash" season. 

The main competitors for him will be Tampa Bay. Bruce Arians came there to win now, and Jason Licht has quickly given up on a 2nd round bust before. Bell fits in the David Johnson role, and Tampa can provide an environment where he can play for a competitive team with a young QB and in Florida, where there is no state income tax. However, they're tight when it comes to money. Maybe they cut DeSean Jackson (sounds like Arians wants to convince him to buy in), they could cut/trade McCoy, but otherwise they're not very flexible. Immediately, they need to either re-sign Donovan Smith or add a LT and they have glaring weaknesses in their defensive backfield. Furthermore, you have to think like a GM and keep 2020 in mind. If Jameis plays well this year (which is what Licht and Arians are banking on), he'll be franchised or extended next. That's an additional $20 million cap hit minimum. Then, you have to consider the contracts they add this offseason, and they're still not in quite that pretty of financial shape. 

This will come down to a Kirk Cousins situation where the Jets will offer the most money, but the Bucs may be a better fit. 

Personally, deep down I hope we get "spurned" again, but I feel like Le'Veon will be a Jet when the dust settles. 

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Topic of the day: Le'Veon Bell

I would urge not to read much into the Le'Veon rumors at this point; his agent is going through the motions and playing the game. Reports that he wants to play for Miami reeks of a ploy to get the Jets to be more aggressive; between the not-so-secret admiration Maccagnan and Gase share for a player of his ilk, the animosity between Gase and his former team, and them being a divisional opponent, the agent could be looking to strike a nerve. Miami is looking to tank, not sign a 27 year old RB. 

Le'Veon is an intriguing player because he's likely going to get a monster 3-4 year deal, meaning the team that signs him will either be one with cheap young talent hoping to catapult into contention or a team operating in a 2-3 year "win now" window. 

Cross Indianapolis off the list, they won't sign him. You can cross off Philadelphia too; they're exiting that "win now" stage and are looking to build a sustainable winner instead; maybe 2 years ago, but with Carson's contract expiring after this year his cap figure is about to spike. 

Rumors that Oakland will sign him seem ridiculous to me, considering they traded their two best players away primarily because they couldn't pay him. Raiders probably will be low budget this year, focusing on building through the draft with their eyes on their 2020 move to Las Vegas as their "splash" season. 

The main competitors for him will be Tampa Bay. Bruce Arians came there to win now, and Jason Licht has quickly given up on a 2nd round bust before. Bell fits in the David Johnson role, and Tampa can provide an environment where he can play for a competitive team with a young QB and in Florida, where there is no state income tax. However, they're tight when it comes to money. Maybe they cut DeSean Jackson (sounds like Arians wants to convince him to buy in), they could cut/trade McCoy, but otherwise they're not very flexible. Immediately, they need to either re-sign Donovan Smith or add a LT and they have glaring weaknesses in their defensive backfield. Furthermore, you have to think like a GM and keep 2020 in mind. If Jameis plays well this year (which is what Licht and Arians are banking on), he'll be franchised or extended next. That's an additional $20 million cap hit minimum. Then, you have to consider the contracts they add this offseason, and they're still not in quite that pretty of financial shape. 

This will come down to a Kirk Cousins situation where the Jets will offer the most money, but the Bucs may be a better fit. 

Personally, deep down I hope we get "spurned" again, but I feel like Le'Veon will be a Jet when the dust settles. 

I agree. I think TB is our main competition. I do however think Oakland is a factor. I think it will be between us 3.