2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

22 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Macc asked him to take a pay cut. 

Brick retired 

He brought in Clady

Basically Macc cut Brick 

No it isn't.  Ferguson had been wrestling the idea of retirement due to age and concussion concern.  Maccagnan basically asked Ferguson to take pay cut to help Jets pay Ryan Fitzpatrick he wanted (Remember his stupid boycott).  Ferguson's quit wasn't a surprising news to Jets.   However, it is possible that asking to take pay cut was the final straw for Ferguson as why should he continue playing football at the risk of having concussion for lesser money.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

No it isn't.  Ferguson had been wrestling the idea of retirement due to age and concussion concern.  Maccagnan basically asked Ferguson to take pay cut to help Jets pay Ryan Fitzpatrick he wanted (Remember his stupid boycott).  Ferguson's quit wasn't a surprising news to Jets.   However, it is possible that asking to take pay cut was the final straw for Ferguson as why should he continue playing football at the risk of having concussion for lesser money.

Brick was preparing to play. He was at the facility working out getting ready for the season when Macc brought it up to him. 

Brick was either taking a pay cut or getting cut. He retired. 

Macc trades for Clady. 

Macc cut Brick.

• Like 1

So with Alex Smith being out injured for all of next year it got me wondering how many teams need to get the quarterback position sorted this offseason. 

In my opinion the: Broncos, Dolphins, Redskins and Jaguars are in desperate need to improve their qb for their fan base to have any real passion for 2019. 

Then the: Bengals, Raiders and Buccaneers all have starters that have been on the downturn with many reports coming out saying these teams want a new franchise qb. 

Finally the: Giants, Steelers, Chargers, Saints and Patriots have thier franchise QBs coming into the latter portions of their career. 

With Joe Flacco and Nick Foles the best the trade market has to offer I can imagine our pick at #3 is going to be worth a fortune this year contrary to other people’s beliefs. It’s all about supply and demand and we could make a killing. 

If a team did trade in front of us to #1 or #2 then it would leave us either Bosa or Allen!! I’d be more than happy with that scenario too! 

Edited by xenajets

24 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Brick was preparing to play. He was at the facility working out getting ready for the season when Macc brought it up to him. 

Brick was either taking a pay cut or getting cut. He retired. 

Macc trades for Clady. 

Macc cut Brick.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-ferguson-leaving-money-saving-health-retirement-article-1.2594444

He was retired two weeks prior to offseason program.

16 minutes ago, xenajets said:

So with Alex Smith being out injured for all of next year it got me wondering how many teams need to get the quarterback position sorted this offseason. 

In my opinion the: Broncos, Dolphins, Redskins and Jaguars are in desperate need to improve their qb for their fan base to have any real passion for 2019. 

Then the: Bengals, Raiders and Buccaneers all have starters that have been on the downturn with many reports coming out saying these teams want a new franchise qb. 

Finally the: Giants, Steelers, Chargers, Saints and Patriots have thier franchise QBs coming into the latter portions of their career. 

With Joe Flacco and Nick Foles the best the trade market has to offer I can imagine our pick at #3 is going to be worth a fortune this year contrary to other people’s beliefs. It’s all about supply and demand and we could make a killing. 

If a team did trade in front of us to #1 or #2 then it would leave us either Bosa or Allen!! I’d be more than happy with that scenario too! 

Redskins will take a qb but won't trade up for it. Alex Smith's cap is killing Redskins for next 3 years. That means Redskins need draftees to improve talent level without breaking team salary cap.

29 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Redskins will take a qb but won't trade up for it. Alex Smith's cap is killing Redskins for next 3 years. That means Redskins need draftees to improve talent level without breaking team salary cap.

So they wouldn’t trade up even if they were convinced of a franchise qb. I find that hard to believe. They could trade Smith next year for a low round pick to a team desperate for a vet qb and would have the rookie qb on peanuts 

Edited by xenajets

55 minutes ago, xenajets said:

So they wouldn’t trade up even if they were convinced of a franchise qb. I find that hard to believe. They could trade Smith next year for a low round pick to a team desperate for a vet qb and would have the rookie qb on peanuts 

Absolutely.   Clayton Thorson, Jarrett Stidham, Will Grier or Kyler Murray could work in 2nd round.   Jay Gruden is no stranger to 2nd tier qbs.

30 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I think Teddy B. is starting in DC next year personally.  Even though A. Smith is tying down cap, Teddy should come cheap on a one-year deal as a bridge until they figure out if Alex can return in 2020 or if they need to draft a guy in the stacked QB class.

Trading Ryan Kerrigan makes it easier for Redskins and qb situation.  Their defense blows so there should make no difference. lol.

20 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

So players dont workout prior to the offseason program?

You said preparing to get ready for season. It sound like offseason program to me but you are correct he was at team facility when Jets approached him otherwise Jets could wait until the offseason program was underway for that purpose. He was obviously there to keep himself in shape.   However, to say Jets asked him to take a pay cut or cut is false even though it has been a common practice in NFL.

11 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Exactly well put.  Good teams don't have 100+ million to spend and if you do it means you are coming off long years of horrible drafting and are a bad football team.  Two things we currently are.  If you draft well and are competitive you should be able to resign your own and have enough flexibility to sign a good player in a position of need to make your playoff push.

Teams with massive cap always mess it up because FA never includes superstars and if there is one out there it's for a reason.  In FA you overpay mediocre players if you are lucky enough to hit on the signing.  Other scenario is you miss and get stuck paying a guy like Trumaine for the next two years until you can get out thus hurting your future.  It's a horrible management/team build approach.

It is generally true that good teams don't have that much cap space, but unfortunately for us this year the Colts have more money than us, AND won a playoff game.