2017 MLB Gameday Thread

Eagles27

Just now, CWood21 said:

As usual, another high quality post by you.  I wasn't implying that a Wong-for-Donaldson deal had merit, just whether or not he would have value for the Jays.

Your response for trading for a perennial MVP candidate was to mark every 50 FV and up player in your system as off limits, then try and sell scrubs. 

Which, granted, is par for the course given how you consistently radically overvalue your prospects. But is still a horrible, horrible take.

11 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I'm not a fan of Wong but 2B is a black hole with Travis missing 75% of his games. I don't know much of your prospect pool outside of Weaver, Reyes, Flaherty and Kelly ( who would be a good get )

Like I mentioned, Alex Reyes and Luke Weaver are likely off-limits for obvious reasons.  Alex Reyes is coming off TJS, and they'd likely get pennies on the dollar for him so there's little incentive to move him.  As for Luke Weaver, he's currently slotted to be in our rotation and given the questions we have there it seems unlikely that they'd be willing to deal him.  I don't think the Cardinals are willing to move Carson Kelly or Jack Flaherty in a deal for a rental, although I think there'd be some merit in a Flaherty for Donaldson/Osuna kind of package, obviously more would have to be included.  I just don't see the Cardinals willing to go down the Jason Heyward path again, especially now that compensation for players leaving is less than it was before.  IF they're moving Wong or Kelly, it's not going to be for a rental IMO.  That next tier of prospects probably doesn't have the value on their own, which is why the Cardinals would likely have to get creative.  The Blue Jays aren't getting any production at 2B, which is why I asked if they'd have interest in Kolten Wong.  And Randal Grichuk has been linked to Toronto for quite sometime.  I feel like other teams could give more prospect-driven deals that probably have more value, but the Cardinals' offer would be based on MLB-ready talent.  Wong, Grichuk/O'Niell, and Dakota Hudson as the core of the package isn't a terrible offer, if the Blue Jays don't want to do a full rebuild.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Your response for trading for a perennial MVP candidate was to mark every 50 FV and up player in your system as off limits, then try and sell scrubs. 

Which, granted, is par for the course given how you consistently radically overvalue your prospects. But is still a horrible, horrible take.

Good god you're reading comprehension is GOD AWFUL.  All I said is that the Cardinals wouldn't move Alex Reyes because of injury and they wouldn't move Luke Weaver because he's currently slotted to be in the 2018 rotation.  Those are both legitimate points.  I then said that I didn't think the Cardinals would move Carson Kelly or Jack Flaherty in a deal for a rental given that they just did a similar thing with Jason Heyward.  As I said, I don't think that package does it but continue to run around beating your chest like you're better than everyone else.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Good god you're reading comprehension is GOD AWFUL

Really? Because this is the steaming pile of re-treated crap you offered.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Wong, Grichuk/O'Niell, and Dakota Hudson as the core of the package isn't a terrible offer, if the Blue Jays don't want to do a full rebuild.

That sound you heard was the Blue Jays laughing all the way from Canada.

An actual offer for Donaldson that doesn't insult the intelligence of everyone involved would be something like Carson Kelly, Delvin Perez, and Sandy Alcantara.

1 minute ago, BillsGuy82 said:

@CWood21 wouldn't you think a team like the Cards would only acquire JD with an extension in place ? 

I thought about that, but when was the last time a team negotiated an extension as part of the trade?  I legitimately can't think of one off the top of my head.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I thought about that, but when was the last time a team negotiated an extension as part of the trade?  I legitimately can't think of one off the top of my head.

I would be shocked if he Cards brass doesn't get it done if a trade gets done.

Whoever acquires JD will be looking past next year imo

7 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I would be shocked if he Cards brass doesn't get it done if a trade gets done.

Whoever acquires JD will be looking past next year imo

LIS, I'd imagine the Cardinals brass would like to get a deal done.  I'm just not confident that the Cardinals would make a deal for a guy they don't have a deal in place.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Really? Because this is the steaming pile of re-treated crap you offered.

That sound you heard was the Blue Jays laughing all the way from Canada.

An actual offer for Donaldson that doesn't insult the intelligence of everyone involved would be something like Carson Kelly, Delvin Perez, and Sandy Alcantara.

Yeah, I think you need two of Kelly/Weaver/Flaherty/Alcantara with a third piece. 

Just now, redsoxsuck05 said:

It's hard to trade for an MVP-caliber player when you act like any MLB-ready player is automatically off-limits xD

I never said that, so please stop repeating what rams has said.  I said I don't think the Cardinals would deal Reyes, given his injury pretty much plummets his trade value.  And I also that it's unlikely they deal Luke Weaver given the fact that he's slotted to be in the rotation.  IF they moved him, that just creates another hole in the rotation which means the Cardinals have to go and sign another FA, something I think they could be willing to do.  And I said I think given their past with Jason Heyward, I think they're going to be reluctant to deal MLB-ready talent for a potential rental.  Not that they'd be off-limits, but there would be real serious reservations.  Add on the fact that the Cardinals have been very tight with their prospects in recent years, and I'm skeptical the Cardinals will give up the haul needed to acquire Donaldson.  Let's not mix my words up.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I never said that, so please stop repeating what rams has said.  I said I don't think the Cardinals would deal Reyes, given his injury pretty much plummets his trade value.  And I also that it's unlikely they deal Luke Weaver given the fact that he's slotted to be in the rotation.  IF they moved him, that just creates another hole in the rotation which means the Cardinals have to go and sign another FA, something I think they could be willing to do.  And I said I think given their past with Jason Heyward, I think they're going to be reluctant to deal MLB-ready talent for a potential rental.  Not that they'd be off-limits, but there would be real serious reservations.  Add on the fact that the Cardinals have been very tight with their prospects in recent years, and I'm skeptical the Cardinals will give up the haul needed to acquire Donaldson.  Let's not mix my words up.

If you're not willing to give up MLB-ready talent then the discussion is a waste of time.

Archived