2019 Playoffs

VikeManDan

On 1/25/2019 at 8:19 AM, swede700 said:

I've said that about many in my life...and will probably continue to say it even when I'm VD's age.  :D

I just said this morning that Tom Brady is only 4 years younger than me, what have I been doing with my life.  ;)

Bill Belichick has just taken a unique place in NFL history, as the first person ever to earn eight Super Bowl rings. The Patriots’ win over the Rams in Super Bowl LIII was New England’s sixth title in Belichick’s tenure as the Patriots’ head coach. Belichick previously earned two Super Bowl rings as the defensive coordinator of the Giants.

Belichick had previously been in a tie with former team executive Neal Dahlen, who earned five Super Bowl rings with the 49ers and two with the Broncos. Now Belichick has the record all to himself.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/03/bill-belichick-is-first-to-earn-eight-super-bowl-rings/

5 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

I can't believe the complete lack of adjustments by the Rams. They were out there calling passing plays out of shotgun on 3rd & 1. Like, what? Why? This was textbook Belichick mind games and I don't understand why coaches do it.

Tony Romo alluded to it during the game.

The Rams on offence are fundamentally a play action team that relies heavily on Todd Gurley. With Gurley hurt, they could no longer run off-tackle, and that took away the effectiveness of the play action pass.

I am not sure there was a lot the coaching staff could do. The Patriots simply forced the Rams to go vertical, which is not something they were built for.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:07 PM, y*so*blu said:

I just realized Sean McVay, one of the most popular coaches in the NFL, is younger than me by about five months. What have I been doing with my life? :(

He's 11 months older than me.

20 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I was at the bar with my dad to watch the game and he said "He's 33, you're 30. He's coaching in the Super Bowl and you're sitting here drinking. Where did I go wrong?"

Obviously joking.....I hope....

At least you haven't lost a super bowl

Thoughts on the game ... I am not one of those people hot-taking this as "the worst Super Bowl ever" because it wasn't, not even close. (In terms of disappointing on-field performance, officiating, and commercials, Super Bowl XL remains my least favorite.) This was pretty dull offensively, but the defensive performances on both sides were really impressive. I heard the halftime show was poor but I stopped watching those a long time ago; Prince's performance was the last one I really enjoyed.

I got a kick out of seeing the high-scoring Rams held to three points. Belichick has never shut down a team so effectively in a Super Bowl, not even XXXVI. As a result, he got his sixth Lombardi with a 41-year-old QB, a tight end on his last legs, only one guy consistently getting open (Edelman), no deep threat, and a crucial defensive player lost halfway through. No other team in the NFL could pull off something like that, but that's why the Patriots are the Patriots.

20 hours ago, milanb said:

Tony Romo alluded to it during the game.

The Rams on offence are fundamentally a play action team that relies heavily on Todd Gurley. With Gurley hurt, they could no longer run off-tackle, and that took away the effectiveness of the play action pass.

I am not sure there was a lot the coaching staff could do. The Patriots simply forced the Rams to go vertical, which is not something they were built for.

The Pats also forced the Rams to throw using 6 and 7 man boxes.

But these aren't excuses as a play caller. Throw to set up the run, tons of teams with poor O-Line play have to do it. I'm not sure if they ran out of shotgun at all (with Gurley or Anderson).

This is a deficiency McVay has begun to show. He creates great gameplans and can analyze his mistakes after a loss. Look at the difference between the Rams vs. the Vikings last year and this year.

/rant here, but the Rams honestly made that game harder than they needed to and out gamed themselves. The game was bad not because it was a 13-3 slugfest, but because the Rams outplayed themselves and just let the Patriots win.

17 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Thoughts on the game ... I am not one of those people hot-taking this as "the worst Super Bowl ever" because it wasn't, not even close. (In terms of disappointing on-field performance, officiating, and commercials, Super Bowl XL remains my least favorite.) This was pretty dull offensively, but the defensive performances on both sides were really impressive. 

Super Bowls V and VI were pretty dreadful games by both teams involved.  The Baltimore - Dallas game was full of turnovers and penalties.  The Dolphins - Redskins game is remembered because the Dolphins went undefeated...but it was a pretty boring game except for the one "highlight" and that was kicker Garo Yapremians' forward pass attempt.  As I didn't watch the latest Super Bowl between the Rams and the Evil Empire, I will not judge where it ranks.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

The Dolphins - Redskins game is remembered because the Dolphins went undefeated...but it was a pretty boring game except for the one "highlight" and that was kicker Garo Yapremians' forward pass attempt.  

and with his left hand at that, even though Garo was right handed.

as the kids would say... an epic fail!

Archived