DL Talk

cannondale

What do you guys think of our DL moving forward ? Injuries, and a few surprises makes this an interesting topic considering DL is one of the deeper spots in the draft.

I'm not sure how big the need is. And by that, I mean I don't have a clue. The whole year was a modge podge up front. Would love to hear your thoughts. Also do we have guys that can play both spots ? Adams ? Not sure. How good is Lancaster ?  My best guess is that we are set at DT and if a stud DE is there in the first round it has to be considered 

DE -- Dean Lowry - 6'-6" 296

DE -- Muhammad Wilkerson - 6'-4" 315

DE -- Mike Daniels - 6'-0" 310

DT -- Montravius Adams - 6'-4" 304

DT -- Kenny Clark - 6'-3" 315

DT -- Tyler Lancaster - 6'-3" 313

I'd rank them as follows:

Cream of the Crop:
DT -- Kenny Clark - 6'-3" 315

Effective, but waning:
DE -- Mike Daniels - 6'-0" 310

Young, but showing promise:
DE -- Dean Lowry - 6'-6" 296

DT -- Montravius Adams - 6'-4" 304

DT -- Tyler Lancaster - 6'-3" 313

Fizzled Out:
DE -- Muhammad Wilkerson - 6'-4" 315

I think Green Bay could benefit from adding a few pieces to the DL in FA / the draft. I bet we take at least one in April. That being said, we have bigger fish to fry. Adding a has been FA was worth a shot for Gute, but Mo Wilkerson was pretty out of shape this season and it showed. We have tons of length on the DL but not a ton of Pass Rush ability. 

Malcolm Brown 6' -2" 320 (24) and Grady Jarrett 6' -1" 291 (26) intrigue me as Free Agents. Jarrett will likely command $15mm + a year.

The DL is mostly fine.

Kenny Clark is a boss

Mike Daniels actually had a really good year despite lower sack numbers. PFF numbers grain of salt and everything, but he had one of the highest pass rush win rates of any IDL.

Dean Lowry is what he is. He's fine.

Montravious Adams ain't it.

Tyler Lancaster seems like a nice depth run plugger.

GB has 3 starting quality DL and you only really play two at one time. Lancaster is a nice rotational piece. Probably add some more depth on day 3, but DL isn't the problem.

I think this DL has good depth even without even adding anyone yet. You just wonder whats going to happen with Wilkerson, and if we really just want to draft a guy high to complete our line this year. But Clark/Daniels/Lowry/Lancaster/Adams isn't the worst line to have going into the off-season.

The DL depends on who our coordinator is.  Mike Daniels probably returns to having more value for us if we go away from Pettine.  Daniels is only 30 at the start of next season.  That's like 27 in EDGE years.  It's another reason why I don't want Pettine back because arguably our best defender over the Capers years turned into somebody who's just there.  Dean Lowry had a better year under Pettine than Daniels. 

Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels contracts run out after the end of the 2019 season. I'm not sure if the Packers sign Daniels to another contract starting age 31, and Clark will command big bucks.

That means DL is on the table as a potential early draft pick in this draft. It's not what I would prefer, since there are serious needs at Edge, S, OT for the first two rounds, but realistically, in a year with generational talent at DL, it could easily be an early pick.

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The DL depends on who our coordinator is.  Mike Daniels probably returns to having more value for us if we go away from Pettine.  Daniels is only 30 at the start of next season.  That's like 27 in EDGE years.  It's another reason why I don't want Pettine back because arguably our best defender over the Capers years turned into somebody who's just there.  Dean Lowry had a better year under Pettine than Daniels

So - if true - how does that support it was Pettine's fault?

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels contracts run out after the end of the 2019 season. I'm not sure if the Packers sign Daniels to another contract starting age 31, and Clark will command big bucks.

That means DL is on the table as a potential early draft pick in this draft. It's not what I would prefer, since there are serious needs at Edge, S, OT for the first two rounds, but realistically, in a year with generational talent at DL, it could easily be an early pick.

This.  The reason TT's drafts started to lack later in his reign is because he started drafting for NEED.  Stop it. Just stop.

We need talent and the DL is loaded in this draft.  As good as Clark is, he would be even better with a running mate up front.  If the board falls and the DL is the pick...do it.  Draft talent.

3 hours ago, rcon14 said:

Montravious Adams ain't it.

Tyler Lancaster seems like a nice depth run plugger.

You're not down to see Mont til the end of his contract? He's shown more moves and promise than Lancaster... he's literally done several things that Lancaster just isnt capable of.

Now I think Mont needs to keep adding strength to be able to handle doubles, but his upside is still clearly higher than Lancasters. No way I give up on him for the next two years.

25 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

You're not down to see Mont til the end of his contract? He's shown more moves and promise than Lancaster... he's literally done several things that Lancaster just isnt capable of.

Now I think Mont needs to keep adding strength to be able to handle doubles, but his upside is still clearly higher than Lancasters. No way I give up on him for the next two years.

I'm fine keeping him til his rookie deal expires. He just isn't anything more than a IDL4/5 for me. Nothing wrong with that. Those guys need jobs. He's just nothing special. He didn't show anything particularly special at Auburn and his combine testing was real mediocre: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/montravius-adams

He runs fast in a straight-line, which isn't real helpful at IDL. His 3-cone wasn't great, nor was his explosiveness, especially considering his size. He's a mediocre athlete. It's fine. Wasn't a good pick when it happened, but now that he's on the roster, he's worth a depth roster spot.

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

We'll put the 5th year option on Clark so he's here through 2020. 

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

I'm fine keeping him til his rookie deal expires. He just isn't anything more than a IDL4/5 for me. Nothing wrong with that. Those guys need jobs. He's just nothing special. He didn't show anything particularly special at Auburn and his combine testing was real mediocre: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/montravius-adams

He runs fast in a straight-line, which isn't real helpful at IDL. His 3-cone wasn't great, nor was his explosiveness, especially considering his size. He's a mediocre athlete. It's fine. Wasn't a good pick when it happened, but now that he's on the roster, he's worth a depth roster spot.

If you don't think he has a quick first step or shows good agility for a big man we're very far apart on this. In the last game he felt the pressure of a double spun back past it and was there to make the play in the hole. He's shown inconsistensies in his PT but he wasnt a bad pick at all. He's got some development to continue to do to get him where he needs to be but to categorize him as a "4th/5th" DL after 1 year of actually playing... in which he didnt collect a huge amount of PT. I have no idea how you can look at his Auburn stuff and say he never showed anything special? 

We're very far apart on DL evals. I'll just let you do you.

53 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

This.  The reason TT's drafts started to lack later in his reign is because he started drafting for NEED.  Stop it. Just stop.

We need talent and the DL is loaded in this draft.  As good as Clark is, he would be even better with a running mate up front.  If the board falls and the DL is the pick...do it.  Draft talent.

Was thinking this myself. How much would having a Watt or Cox improve clarks play. If the board falls for Edge and its Ferrell take him, if Gute has a DL graded higher and take the best edge at pick 28:) Also really depends on how we shake out in the FA market as well as we have enough cash to add some impact. But count me with you Dubz i wouldn't be said with a monster inside.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

If you don't think he has a quick first step or shows good agility for a big man we're very far apart on this. In the last game he felt the pressure of a double spun back past it and was there to make the play in the hole. He's shown inconsistensies in his PT but he wasnt a bad pick at all. He's got some development to continue to do to get him where he needs to be but to categorize him as a "4th/5th" DL after 1 year of actually playing... in which he didnt collect a huge amount of PT. I have no idea how you can look at his Auburn stuff and say he never showed anything special? 

We're very far apart on DL evals. I'll just let you do you.

Bro he was a 3rd round pick and has 1.5 sacks in 21 career games. Nothing popped up in his testing to say good athlete. He's fine. Not every player GB has is going to develop up.

The DL needs another stud next to Kenny Clark; mainly a long, 5-tech, with the ability to penetrate and get after the passer(a Chris Jones type player.) We will probably need a replacement for Daniels here soon as well. I like Lowry, Adams, and Lancaster has rotational depth with the possibility one of them taking over for Daniels.

This is just based on scouting reports but a guy I am pretty interested in the late 1st- mid 2nd round would be Jerry Tillery out of Notre Dame. From what I understand, He is pretty long(6'7) and has the ability to penetrate and get after QB's. I would be a fan of grabbing the best edge available and getting a guy like Tillery with our late 1st-mid 2nd. That could basically transform our front 7 in my opinion.

Archived