Travis Benjamin

turtle28

So, we need more speed at WR, I don’t think anyone would argue that we don’t. 

Next year Benjamin’s cap hit on the Chargers will be $6.5 million and they can save $5.25 million if they cut him.

I don’t think we should sign him to some huge contract, but I feel we do need a WR like him on our team.

Benjamin is currently the Chargers’ #4 WR. I feel the Chargers kept him in 2018 because of the uncertainty with Mike Williams’ injury but now with Williams emerging as a potential #1 WR this season and they also have Keenan Allen and Tyrell Williams, I feel they won’t keep Benjamin.

Benjamin is a 4.36 forty-yard dash guy. He has the greasy fast speed that we need on offense, even if that is as a situational player as a #4 WR behind PRich, Doctson and Crowder.

Do you all feel we should sign Travis Benjamin if he is cut by the Chargers?

Why do we have a thread for a guy who would be fourth on the depth chart and a returner?  I'm all about creating more threads on forums nowadays, but not for a backup receiver.  

That being said, you have a team that isn't going to have a lot of cap space available and you need to maximize that as much as possible with draft picks, so I imagine we will out our depth chart with inexpensive, rookie contracts via the draft rather than fill the depth chart with veteran FAs who cost more.  So Benjamin is out.  

55 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Id bring him in on a league min. Or somewhere around that.

12 catches this year with Phillip Rivers throwing it. No point in tossing money at a guy that likely wouldnt be catching 20 balls here.

I agree we shouldn’t pay him much, but do understand that he was a #4 WR bc they have Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Tyrell Williams. 

The last time he was starting he had 47 recs, 677 yds & 4 TDs.

25 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Why do we have a thread for a guy who would be fourth on the depth chart and a returner?  I'm all about creating more threads on forums nowadays, but not for a backup receiver.  

That being said, you have a team that isn't going to have a lot of cap space available and you need to maximize that as much as possible with draft picks, so I imagine we will out our depth chart with inexpensive, rookie contracts via the draft rather than fill the depth chart with veteran FAs who cost more.  So Benjamin is out.  

Because I wanted to start the discussion, that’s why.

I wouldn’t give him a big contract, he’d have to earn his spot just like everyone else. If we do draft someone else and Benjamin doesn’t impress, it would be a contract that we just cut him this year, just like we did with Orlando Scandrick. We signed Scandrick but then cut him before he played a down for us because  Dunny and Moreau were playing better than him.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

So he's not what Paul Richardson is already supposed to be?

Wait, what? I don’t understand this response at all. We need more speed on our offense and on top of that Benjamin can return kick offs and punts. He’d be a good #4 wr to have on our roster.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Hmmm...I'd rather just see what we have now and maybe draft one

I think we should draft a WR too, but depending on what round that is, we may need to sign someone too for competition in camp. I don't think we should hive him a huge contract, but it doesn't hurt to have a veteran with 4.3 speed at the WR position to compete for a roster spot.

23 minutes ago, taylor made said:

This team shouldn't sign any free agents for like the next 3 years

They're going to have to sign some vet min guys - at the least - to fill out the roster, might as well make one of them a former starting WR with 4.3 speed who can return kick offs and punts.

Archived