BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

On 07/01/2019 at 9:18 PM, ny92mike said:

@SirA1

Here is my list for the next BDL meeting.   Formatting/ docs gotta hate it. 

• Topic 1

• Waiver Wire

• Include postseason amount in rules

• IR waiver claims must be the same position as the player added to IR.

• A player that lands on IR, that is deep on the teams roster, the team shouldn’t be allowed to replace that player from a different position.

• Create a workbook to allow transparency and automation to this process.

• Topic 2

• PFA Scramble

• Create a workbook to allow transparency and automation to this process.

• Or, just treat them as every other draft pick using the PFA draft order.

• Topic 3

• Schedule reduction to avoid holidays and prevent owners from getting burnt out.

• Regular season weeks set at 10 weeks.

• 6 divisional games

• 2 Conf. games

• 2 non-conf games

• Postseason 3 weeks

• Quarterfinals

• Semifinals

• Bizzbowl

• This would have the full season ending late Nov.

• Topic 4

• Retirements

• Remove the player from the team roster without penalty.

• No NFL would trade for a retired player nor would the player.  This just allows for teams to dump money in a trade. These are the kind of transactions that the trade council should be stopping.

• Topic 5

• Postseason games pertaining to irl team resting players.

• Refine the rules on postseason games where players are listed on the injury report in a game where the irl team is claiming to be resting players.  This needs to have a hard rule in place and not left up to interpretation.

• If topic 3 is used then this is a non issue.

• Topic 6

• Update the guidelines asap and not wait until the summer to do this.

• Topic 7

• Have a discussion now about any rule change proposals asap, rather than waiting until the summer at which time we forget how things operated.

I would like to add 2 things that are correlated:

1. Unlock players under $700 salaries in a 1 yr deal. Amount can be discussed. I'd like to reflect that NFL teams can cut/trade easily 1yr deal on low salaries

2. Reduce roster size to 60. If we can cut players more easily we can get to 60 players as a roster size (NFL is 53 incl 3 Special Teamers + 10 on the PS). Or 50 players + a 10men PS with the same rules as the NFL. Roster reduction can be done gradually if needed.

• Like 1

If we decrease the amount of players to be closer to the NFL model I think we should discuss having more active players on the bench then. Like 10 per unit would put us at 42 active still four less than the nfl allows on game day and that can account for the special teams players we don’t use. 

Just now, Jlash said:

We already see depth issues at 70, I can't see cutting rosters helping that.

Once again if we're allowed to cut ERFAs that don't play or Shark Tank signings that didn't pan out it is easier. Plus depth issues are more due to people not having cap left to sign waivers than roster sizes imho

44 minutes ago, Counselor said:

May be looking to three up and over Trey Flowers and/or Landon Collins if anyone is interested. 

I'll have two open 3 up slots most likely but unfortunately I just dont need those guys.

I wouldn't be opposed to reducing the roster list size, but I think in order to achieve this we'd need to open up a teams ability to remove certain players from the roster without it killing the cap.  I think being able to release low paid players without penalty does a little toward that, but all season I watched teams trade either garbage or IR players.  Personally, I'm not a fan of teams trading IR players but if it's going to be allowed then why not allow the team to release the player on IR w/o cap penalty.  

Edited by ny92mike

Also, I'd love to start the discussion and even the voting process up soon.  

Things like reduced roster sizes would definitely change how teams conduct business now and I bet you a dollar if the guidelines change at a later date that would affect what a team is planning now or has already done, you're going to see some unnecessary legit complaining.  Besides I've been waiting for this winter meeting for weeks.

I also think @Hockey5djh has a great point about getting the guidelines corrected now with the current rules.  More than willing to help type it up, but I need someone with knowledge of the rules to help me out.

Edited by ny92mike

2 hours ago, TedLavie said:

2. Reduce roster size to 60. If we can cut players more easily we can get to 60 players as a roster size (NFL is 53 incl 3 Special Teamers + 10 on the PS). Or 50 players + a 10men PS with the same rules as the NFL. Roster reduction can be done gradually if needed.

Introduction of a BDL practice squad would make things interesting.