BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

Just now, PR said:

He had 7 this season while missing 5 games.

Right, you're still missing my point. He's always been an incredibly streaky player. Big games, disappearing acts. Big games, disappearing acts.

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

What? I’m clearly commenting on stuff bc I got time.

Anytime I say something you’re ready to call me out. I see.

You realize I was talking to PR when you stepped into this one right? 

Just now, MD4L said:

I have time tonight. Also think relatively high of Vernon.

My fault. I forgot about your affinity for Florida area folk. You don't have the 4th's to make your offer but you have two 3rds!

2 minutes ago, Jlash said:

My fault. I forgot about your affinity for Florida area folk. You don't have the 4th's to make your offer but you have two 3rds!

Haha. Can’t comment on his value but I like Jerry Hughes and whatever draft prospects are available.

7 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

I can't 100% extend a pending FA?

Other than ERFA/RFA's you can only resign a max of 3 UFA Players each season. That's what 3 Ups are. This limit is in place to ensure that FA has at least medium level of talent and rosters have some turnover.

7 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Not that I have any interest in Rico Gathers or Sylvester Williams but you should probably put that in the rules if it's part of them. I don't see why I should be restricted from signing those players in FA if for some reason I changed my mind.

It's done to prevent teams from paying off 2nd year players and then resigning them as ERFA's on the cheap the next year. 

Again this is stuff that veteran owners just know from being here for awhile and is something that we need to clarify. I am planning on a complete revamp of the rules from top to bottom this summer but it's something that is going to take about 2 months to get done. It's not something that we can just instantly react to and get and instant update like Mike thinks. He has a different mindset about running a Mock/SIM so I don't fault him for that.

We implemented a lot of rules changes this past summer that are just now going to start going into effect for the most part. We need to see how those work before going to try to tinker with things anymore. Or else we end up doing stuff like making 2 different Salary cap adjustments in the same year before seeing how the first fix worked.

• Like 2

Gentlemen,

With the season coming to a close, I have found myself with quite a bit of extra time during the week that I normally had set aside for BDL. I've been unable to shake my desire to think about BDL and plan for its future, and so I've spent some time reflecting on my time here. With the continuous contributions from many of you and the huge stepping up from Mike in the world of spreadsheets, I've decided that it's time for me to use my time to accomplish something positive for this league. It's my hope that this project can become a regular thing during the BDL offseason.

I feel like one consensus of this league is that the team building aspect is the most enjoyable part. Despite all of its uniqueness (and likely necessity), the voting aspect of BDL can sometimes bring out more frustration than enjoyment. Although I would never suggest to eliminate the voting aspect of this league during the season, I believe that entertainment without the gobs of beef and frustration should be the end goal of this league. Therefore, it is with great pride that I unveil to you the BDL Madden 19 Sim Project.

I've always enjoyed playing the GM during the Madden games and using the Super Sim on slow to watch the games with no player input. While previous Madden's CPU v CPU modes were very clearly broken in some regard, Madden 19's version is spectacular. With over 200 pages worth of discussion, the contributors to this thread: https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football-sliders/936303-madden-19-cpu-vs-cpu-sliders.html have derived a great slider set that delivers realistic results. Upon reading this thread, I knew I had to buy this year's Madden and attempt a BDL sim.

At first, my plan was to edit the rosters from the main menu. Immediately, I realized this plan was going to take forever. You can't just release and sign players from the main menu. Instead, I decided that the best way to do this was to create a Franchise Mode with a fantasy draft and draft the respective players to their BDL teams.

Since BDL rosters are bigger than NFL rosters and the practice squad only being available to players with 2 years or fewer NFL experience, I decided that each BDL team would have an associated NFL team as a “taxi squad” to carry their extra players. I then simmed one year and relocated each BDL squad to a new city (teams don't get relocated until second year hence the one simmed year). This is what I ended up with (NOTE: Madden offers limited options for relocation and name changes and most of them suck. I did the best I could with what I had. This can be redone but it'll necessitate a restart to the season).

BDL International (BDL Atlantic) Relocated from AFC North

Dublin Celtic Tigers (Berlin Blitzkrieg)

Taxi Squad – Green Bay Packers

Toronto Thunderbirds (Rome Eternals)

Taxi Squad – Minnesota Vikings

Mexico City Conquistadors (Cuba Smugglers)

Taxi Squad – Chicago Bears

London Black Knights (Ivory Coast Black Rhinos)

Taxi Squad – Detroit Lions

BDL Pacific Relocated from AFC West

San Diego Red Dragons (Seoul Dragons)

Taxi Squad – Los Angeles Rams

Salt Lake City Flyers (Hawaii Nightmarchers)

Taxi Squad – Seattle Seahawks

Sacramento Condors (Singapore Sentinels)

Taxi Squad – San Francisco 49ers

Portland Snowhawks (Portland Horned Owls)

Taxi Squad – Arizona Cardinals

BDL Central (BDL West) Relocated from AFC South

Oklahoma City Bison (Oklahoma City EF5s)

Taxi Squad – Carolina Panthers

San Antonio Marshalls (Long Beach Leprechauns)

Taxi Squad – Atlanta Falcons

Austin Desperados (Louisiana Jazz)

Taxi Squad – New Orleans Saints

Memphis Hounds (Wichita Woodpeckers)

Taxi Squad – Tampa Bay Buccaneers

BDL East Relocated from AFC East

Brooklyn Barons (Gotham Gashslayers)

Taxi Squad – New York Giants

Chicago Blues (Camden Hood Rats)

Taxi Squad – Philadelphia Eagles

Orlando Orbits (Orlando Ospreys)

Taxi Squad – Dallas Cowboys

Columbus Aviators (Sydney Dingos)

Taxi Squad – Washington Redskins

A few other notes:

I did the following player edits: QB scrambling traits (from the linked thread); lowered the ages of players 30+ to 29 (this was to prevent regression/retirement heading into the second year); standardized the kickers and punters (everyone's kicker and punter has 95 power, 95 accuracy, and 75 awareness which is 85 overall); and made necessary position changes (mostly DL/LB, Edge/Int). Otherwise, the default Madden roster that was released after week 17 was used.

The rosters in this game reflect the BDL rosters immediately following the BizzBowl. If this continues I can edit teams to reflect current rosters.

The default offensive scheme and playbook for each BDL team is the one designed for the starting QB. The default defensive scheme is the what made the most sense to me based on your roster while doing edits. These can both be changed if requested. I can also change the frequency of subs, formation subs, depth chart for both base and sub-packages.

It's still a game and there are several strange animations, glitches, and player decisions that don't make any sense. Two major pet peeves for me are the penalties and CPU clock management. There aren't enough penalties except for false start penalties where there are too many. Unfortunately, raising the slider for penalties even one tick causes them to shoot through the roof. Too many false start penalties happen even with the false start slider at 1. I think this is how the game tries to make up for not calling illegal shift/formation penalties and the like. The CPU clock management at end of half is egregious and the worst part of this sim. Unfortunately, there's no way around it. However, so much of the game is good enough to make up for these frustrating moments.

I'm aware of how poor the quality is and will be for the first couple of videos. If you all are interested in me recording more games, I'll upgrade my equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3URXH7eIqtg&feature=youtu.be This is a preview into what this will be like. Again, I'll upgrade the quality if this becomes a long term project. I'm also aware that the sound kind of messes up at the end. That problem is already solved.

If you all want to see more I'll upload the remainder of this game tonight and start recording more games.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Thought about doing this when madden came out on PC this year tbh but put it off because of the time of year. 

I applaud you wWicker, my only complaint with the sim is I don't have any. I'd suggest creating another Youtube channel for this unless you want people to know your name. 

• Like 2