BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

5 minutes ago, Jlash said:

....I mean.... it sounds that way.

It's ok. The season is too long for you. 

It shouldn't sound that way at all, nor should you be thinking of it that way.

I've been talking about the season being too long since Nov. and was hoping to talk about it during the Winter meeting, which is why I was pushing so hard to have the meeting.

Edited by ny92mike

32 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

If the majority, prefers the long season I completely understand and will attempt to find a replacement for Orlando.

This is you saying if the season isn't voted on being shorter you quit. Not my words. Your words. And that's fine.

2 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Just put a word limit on gameplans - like 300 words or something. Lets face it, the fun is in building a roster with an identity and tracking your guys, not tedious deadlines to have a gameplan in which realistically is just shilling our guys or saying who is gonna be on who etc.

I've heard this mentioned multiple times, here's a comparison. This is a normal gameplan for me. (1,352 words)

Normal One:

Motivation: We're looking to get our 1st win of the year and ruin orlando's day with a crushing defeat at home, that all starts in executing the plays and letting the Mahomes Magic work itself.

Portland Offensive Gameplan: We're gonna more or less let Mahomes have free reign in the passing game, since this is a revenge game for Mahomes since he was traded from Orlando we'll let him do as he pleases. We'll also focus on getting the ball to our WRs and TEs while keeping a ground game going to keep Orlando from just blitzing every down.

The Passing Game: 

Mahomes has established himself as the best QB in BDL and will look to prove Orlando was wrong to trade him for pennies on the dollar this week, Mahomes will be be allowed to audible and adjust plays as he sees fit and we'll focus on getting deep against an Orlando secondary lacking the speed to cover our weapons. Orlando's edge rushers are quite the fearsome bunch especially since they're starting BDL stud T.J Watt (you're welcome) at OLB, since Orlando came out in a 3-4 base set last week we'll look to take advantage of that as much as possible by taking deep shots as soon whenever they use that defense, if we can't get anything going deep we'll attack the middle of the field specifically targeting Davis. Davante Adams will be our no.1 WR and will be featured heavily, I expect Ramsey who isn't nearly as good as his reputation will cover him. Boyd will be our slot WR and he'll see quite a few targets this week, he'll play outside in 2 WR sets and in the slot in 3 wide. In 3 and 4 WR sets  Brant will be the no.3 and Sanu will be the no.4, we'll take a few deep shots to Bryant to try and take advantage of Orlando's issues in the secondary. Austin Hooper will get the nod at TE and will be a do it all TE and he'll mostly be limtied to being a check down option for Mahomees and a blocker when needed, he'll get a bunch of targets since we feel he's a mismatch and is finally coming into his own. Charles Clay will exist as the no.2 TE and will rarely see snaps unless we bring out 2 TE sets.

We'll feature our RBs in the passing game a bit to keep Orlando guessing, McCoy is healthy and despite being stuck in the bill's "offense" he has played well. Peyton Barber will be our no.2 RB and despite what his stats suggest he is a functional RB who can do all the things required of him, we'll split the touches about 60:40 to keep McCoy fresh and healthy and get Barber some touches so he can shave off some yards on Orlando's defense. We'll move the pocket with some bootlegs and use play action quite a bit if we can get the running game going, if we don't get it going then we'll adjust and start supplementing our lack of a running game with a hurry up offense. 

The Running Game:

LeSean McCoy and Barber will split carries 60:40 with McCoy receiving the major edge in carries and touches, we'll try and establish our running game early to help tire out Orlando's defense for later in the game, we'll leave a RB/TE in to pass protect as needed.

The Blocking: In case of injuries, Beachum will play LT/RT, Jones will play C/G. We'll also leave a RB/TE in to pass protect or give extra attention/blocking to a pass rusher if someone proves to be a problem.

TDLR; Make Plays on the ball, take advantage of turnovers, Keep the Mahomes Magic going, Get revenge or something, Attack Orlando's LBs, get our running game going early and if it don't work then go hurry up.

Portland Defensive Gameplan: We're going to play 2 deep safeties to keep Kamara,Gronk,Evans,Robinson etc. from making big plays down the field. We'll mostly be playing zone coverage while mixing in some man with Cover 3 being our base zone defense and focusing on blitzing Rivers as much as possible.

Pass Coverage: 

We'll be playing zone defense on 70% of the snaps with a lot of blitzes, we'll probably Blitz on at least 40% of the snaps to get after Rivers and disrupt Orlando's offense. Trufant will shadow Evans in both man and zone, Jimmy Smith will man the no.2 CB spot and should be able to handle whoever he is assigned to cover on the play. If Evans/Robinson go into the slot the CB/Defender assigned to cover them will follow them into the slot, Brandon Carr otherwise will be the no.3 CB/Slot CB. Orlando's offense is overflowing with weapons but they lack protection on the interior and we'll look to take advantage of that with zone blitzes and a lot of different looks in coverage, Rivers is no idiot but he'll have a hard time figuring out our coverage scheme this game since we won't repeat a single coverage play. Orlando's offense is a nightmare to cover so we won't give anyone any extra attention instead we'll send 5 or more on 40% of the snaps to get after Rivers and disrupt the play as much as possible, our lineman will go up to tip balls and our LBs will be ready for checkdowns since Rivers tends to do that a lot. As mentioned we'll be using 2 deep safeties and a cover 3 base zone defense for most of the game, however since we won't be repeating a single coverage play we'll need to cover our bases and we'll do that by covering Orlando's weapons. Glover Quinn will be tasked with adjusting the pass coverage as needed, I'd expect my front seven should be able to put pressure on Rivers and control the LOS. Telvin Smith will be the signal caller on defense and he'll make adjustments if Hawaii tries something not outlined in the gameplan. Since we'll be mostly playing zone defense we'll be sending 5 or more for more or less the entire game and I expect we'll get burned but we'll make Orlando hurt just as much as they hurt us. Orakpo+Smith will be able to get after Rivers along with Morgan rotating in, Short+Jones should be able to keep Orlando's inside running game in check and Pierce will rotate in with Jones on running downs/goaline situations. Telvin Smith will make adjustments as the signal caller on defense as needed, we'll make sure to give equal attention to Orlando's weapons as well as try to take away River's passing game checkdowns, I assume Orlando will feature Cohen more heavily in the passing game this week and we'll adjust for that by having Martinez/Smith be covering Kamara on every single play, obviously they'll rotate and swap with other defenders depending on the play but Kamara will always have someone covering him. Malcolm Jenkins will cover Gronk in the redzone, but other than that we'll mostly have Jenkins back and let Gronk be Gronk.

Run Defense: 

Orlando has a solid stable of RBs, Kamara more or less being the perfect satelite back with Freeman being a solid in between the tackles runner. We won't worry too much about the running game since we're focused on taking care of the passing game but we will be blitzing on running downs, so I expect my defense to not get too burned by the running game here.

Za'Darius Smith stepped up in a huge way last week with 3 sacks, he has earned a starting job Opposite Orakpo and has already set a career high in sacks, he'll be a big help in the run game and in getting after the QB.

TDLR; Play Zone, Win our matchups, Limit their weapons as much as possible, Blitz on 40% of the snaps, keep them out of the endzone, don't be afraid to give up big plays in favor of turnovers/sacks. 

300 word one:  

Motivation: Meeting the minimum require to get to 300 words looks like this. This is exactly 300 right about not at, it's now

Portland Offensive Gameplan: 

The Passing Game: 

The Running Game:

LeSean McCoy and Barber will split carries 60:40 with McCoy receiving the major edge in carries and touches, we'll try and establish our running game early to help tire out Orlando's defense for later in the game, we'll leave a RB/TE in to pass protect as needed.

The Blocking: In case of injuries, Beachum will play LT/RT, Jones will play C/G. We'll also leave a RB/TE in to pass protect or give extra attention/blocking to a pass rusher if someone proves to be a problem.

TDLR; 

Portland Defensive Gameplan: We're going to play 2 deep safeties to keep Kamara,Gronk,Evans,Robinson etc. from making big plays down the field. We'll mostly be playing zone coverage while mixing in some man with Cover 3 being our base zone defense and focusing on blitzing Rivers as much as possible.

Pass Coverage: 

We'll be playing zone defense on 70% of the snaps with a lot of blitzes, we'll probably Blitz on at least 40% of the snaps to get after Rivers and disrupt Orlando's offense. Trufant will shadow Evans in both man and zone, Jimmy Smith will man the no.2 CB spot and

Run Defense: 

Orlando has a solid stable of RBs, Kamara more or less being the perfect satelite back with Freeman being a solid in between the tackles runner. We won't worry too much about the running game since we're focused on taking care of the passing game but we will be blitzing on running downs, so I expect my defense to not get too burned by the running game here.

TDLR; 

I'm gonna say that's not a solution, and granted I just chopped off words but a hard word limit is a nope from me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

This is you saying if the season isn't voted on being shorter you quit. Not my words. Your words. And that's fine.

Ok...I quit then...You turning this into something its not.

So let me know if you're going to dismantle the team or if it's worth my time to stay involved in the offseason.

Just now, ny92mike said:

So let me know if you're going to dismantle the team or if it's worth my time to stay involved in the offseason.

You said if the season doesn't get shortened you're finding another owner for Orlando. I didn't make that up. 

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

We are not dismantling teams.

Mike, maybe you should see if you can find someone to perhaps Co own the team with you.  That way during the holidays or whenever you feel like you need a break, that individual can take your blueprint and do the planning for the week or weeks 

Edited by bcb1213