BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

Ivory Coast - 1.10 Devin White - 5.1 Daniel Jones - 6.6 Terry McLaurin - 6.10 Bryce Love - 2020 3rd, 2020 3rd, 2020 5th - Lost 4.14, 5.4, 5.9, 5.10, 7.10, 7.14

Overall Grade - B - IC started out addressing their biggest defensive issue with the best ILB in the draft.  White gives them a presence inside and makes their front 7 much better.  They got great value in a 1st round QB at the top of the RL 3 with Jones to back up Luck after this year.  McLaurin was a favorite pick of mine as he has been very underrated this draft process.  Love is a risky pick, but if he plays like he did in 2017, this will be a steal and a perfect compliment to Nick Chubb.  While they did pick up some quality picks next year, they gave up 6 picks to get 3 and could have looked at adding players to help Luck this year instead of next.  

Areas Addressed - LB, QB, WR, RB

Areas of Concern - RB Depth - They need a guy capable of spelling Chubb.  Maybe Love will be that guy.  WR Depth - If one of their top three guys gets hurt, they'll need McLaurin to contribute earlier than they may hope.  TE - They have no one that scares a defense.  OT Depth - If one of their starters goes down, they're in trouble.  OC Depth - Like at OT, they desperately Kelce to stay healthy.  Edge Depth - Who will rotate in with Mack and Garrett?  LB - White was a huge get, but they need at least one more LB that can cover.  S Depth - The theme continues.  The top two guys are great, but if one gets hurt, they have no viable replacement.  

Overall - Ivory Coast addressed some areas of need, but maybe got a bit trade happy acquiring picks for the future instead of addressing current needs.  They may really like the potential prospects in the 2020 draft though.  One of the more top heavy teams in the league, IC has playmakers at every level on both sides of the ball.  However, a couple key injuries could derail their entire season.  That's the main reason their trades concern me somewhat.  If they stay healthy, IC will likely be a very strong BizzBowl contender at the end of the year.  

• Like 2

Williamsport - 1.14 Brian Burns - 1.16 Devin Bush - 2.1 Cody Ford - 4.11 Trayvon Mullen - 5.3 Miles Boykin - 7.7 Charles Omenihu - 2020 2nd, 2020 4th, 2020 4th, 2020 7th - Lost 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, 2020 5th, 2020 5th, 2.12, 3.13, 2nd PFA, Leonard Williams

Overall Grade - C+ - Burns was a great get for a team desperately needing pass rush.  Bush will pair excellently with Hightower and Jack for next season at the Will.  Cody Ford is one of my favorite prospects in this draft, but I'm not entirely sure where WSR plans on playing him as their OL is pretty solid.  Considering where other interior OL prospects were drafted, this seemed like a bit early.  Trayvon was great value in the 4th after a run on CBs.  Boykin is an unreal athlete, but relied on being a better athlete in college and has a lot of work to do on route running.  But he is a great pick to sit for a couple years.  Omenihu is another great value choice who needs to develop a bit as a pass rusher, but can contribute in the run game early.  However, I have to ding WSR quite a bit for all the draft capital they gave up.  Considering the deal made to get to 1.4, WSR gave up a great deal more for much later picks.  They would have been better served building a trade that mirrored the Seoul trade or just waiting to pick, but they got a bit impatient.  They did recoup some 2020 picks later though.

Areas Addressed - Edge x2, LB, OL, CB, WR

Areas of Concern - RB - They must hope that Shady and Freeman can get it done this year, but that is questionable and they have no youth at the position.  TE - Graham looks old and Goedert is stuck behind Ertz.  OC - Whitehair may get moved to LG, but even if he doesn't, they have no backup.  Edge - They added two talented prospects, but who is going to consistently get to the QB while those guys develop?  DT - They do have some underrated guys in Bullard, Jones, Reader, and Godchaux...but can any get a consistent pass rush from the inside?  S - WSR could have benefited from adding a safety this draft in a good class as both starters are just okay.  

Overall - WSR made sure they got guys they wanted, but it came at a high cost.  That said, they have a very solid OL and good WR group for Big Ben to target.  They have to hope RB and TE give them something this year, or their offense will be very predictable.  WSR boasts an excellent CB group and LB corps to build their defense round, but DL is a work in progress and they need safety help desperately.  They will likely need another year to add talent to these key spots before being ready for a deep playoff push, but may not have the draft capital in 2020 to address everything required.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Put me at 16

16 is going to be either Seoul, OKC or Camden, aka the "no proven QB group". Likely Seoul cause I have 1 starting DT and 0 starting LB

Edited by TedLavie
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Ivory Coast - 1.10 Devin White - 5.1 Daniel Jones - 6.6 Terry McLaurin - 6.10 Bryce Love - 2020 3rd, 2020 3rd, 2020 5th - Lost 4.14, 5.4, 5.9, 5.10, 7.10, 7.14

Overall Grade - B - IC started out addressing their biggest defensive issue with the best ILB in the draft.  White gives them a presence inside and makes their front 7 much better.  They got great value in a 1st round QB at the top of the RL 3 with Jones to back up Luck after this year.  McLaurin was a favorite pick of mine as he has been very underrated this draft process.  Love is a risky pick, but if he plays like he did in 2017, this will be a steal and a perfect compliment to Nick Chubb.  While they did pick up some quality picks next year, they gave up 6 picks to get 3 and could have looked at adding players to help Luck this year instead of next.  

Areas Addressed - LB, QB, WR, RB

Areas of Concern - RB Depth - They need a guy capable of spelling Chubb.  Maybe Love will be that guy.  WR Depth - If one of their top three guys gets hurt, they'll need McLaurin to contribute earlier than they may hope.  TE - They have no one that scares a defense.  OT Depth - If one of their starters goes down, they're in trouble.  OC Depth - Like at OT, they desperately Kelce to stay healthy.  Edge Depth - Who will rotate in with Mack and Garrett?  LB - White was a huge get, but they need at least one more LB that can cover.  S Depth - The theme continues.  The top two guys are great, but if one gets hurt, they have no viable replacement.  

Overall - Ivory Coast addressed some areas of need, but maybe got a bit trade happy acquiring picks for the future instead of addressing current needs.  They may really like the potential prospects in the 2020 draft though.  One of the more top heavy teams in the league, IC has playmakers at every level on both sides of the ball.  However, a couple key injuries could derail their entire season.  That's the main reason their trades concern me somewhat.  If they stay healthy, IC will likely be a very strong BizzBowl contender at the end of the year.  

Thanks for the writeup.

I do agree that my roster is top heavy for starters, my gameplan is to try and shore up depth through FA.

I did acquire Austin Ekeler to help spill Chubb, which gave me a little more freedom to roll the dice on Bryce Love coming off his injury.

Aside from that, I agree with your assessments, and I've freed up cap space to plug in depth as well as pursue a few higher priced targets.

Ultimately, I wasn't too thrilled with this draft class outside of the early defensive linemen. I may have given up quantity for future quality, but I'd rather utilize draft picks to gain value than spending it on a player I don't believe I'd get much of a return on the investment. 

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Thanks for the writeup.

I do agree that my roster is top heavy for starters, my gameplan is to try and shore up depth through FA.

I did acquire Austin Ekeler to help spill Chubb, which gave me a little more freedom to roll the dice on Bryce Love coming off his injury.

Aside from that, I agree with your assessments, and I've freed up cap space to plug in depth as well as pursue a few higher priced targets.

Ultimately, I wasn't too thrilled with this draft class outside of the early defensive linemen. I may have given up quantity for future quality, but I'd rather utilize draft picks to gain value than spending it on a player I don't believe I'd get much of a return on the investment. 

Yeah, I figured you were going to hit FA pretty well, but can't really account for that here.

Ekeler could be a nice 3rd down guy, just have to hope LAC uses him a little more.

The final point is fair and what I figured you were doing.  If you didn't like anyone a lot and got a good offer, I get taking the deal.  Could slow you down a little bit in terms of restocking.  

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Williamsport - 1.14 Brian Burns - 1.16 Devin Bush - 2.1 Cody Ford - 4.11 Trayvon Mullen - 5.3 Miles Boykin - 7.7 Charles Omenihu - 2020 2nd, 2020 4th, 2020 4th, 2020 7th - Lost 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, 2020 5th, 2020 5th, 2.12, 3.13, 2nd PFA, Leonard Williams

Overall Grade - C+ - Burns was a great get for a team desperately needing pass rush.  Bush will pair excellently with Hightower and Jack for next season at the Will.  Cody Ford is one of my favorite prospects in this draft, but I'm not entirely sure where WSR plans on playing him as their OL is pretty solid.  Considering where other interior OL prospects were drafted, this seemed like a bit early.  Trayvon was great value in the 4th after a run on CBs.  Boykin is an unreal athlete, but relied on being a better athlete in college and has a lot of work to do on route running.  But he is a great pick to sit for a couple years.  Omenihu is another great value choice who needs to develop a bit as a pass rusher, but can contribute in the run game early.  However, I have to ding WSR quite a bit for all the draft capital they gave up.  Considering the deal made to get to 1.4, WSR gave up a great deal more for much later picks.  They would have been better served building a trade that mirrored the Seoul trade or just waiting to pick, but they got a bit impatient.  They did recoup some 2020 picks later though.

Areas Addressed - Edge x2, LB, OL, CB, WR

Areas of Concern - RB - They must hope that Shady and Freeman can get it done this year, but that is questionable and they have no youth at the position.  TE - Graham looks old and Goedert is stuck behind Ertz.  OC - Whitehair may get moved to LG, but even if he doesn't, they have no backup.  Edge - They added two talented prospects, but who is going to consistently get to the QB while those guys develop?  DT - They do have some underrated guys in Bullard, Jones, Reader, and Godchaux...but can any get a consistent pass rush from the inside?  S - WSR could have benefited from adding a safety this draft in a good class as both starters are just okay.  

Overall - WSR made sure they got guys they wanted, but it came at a high cost.  That said, they have a very solid OL and good WR group for Big Ben to target.  They have to hope RB and TE give them something this year, or their offense will be very predictable.  WSR boasts an excellent CB group and LB corps to build their defense round, but DL is a work in progress and they need safety help desperately.  They will likely need another year to add talent to these key spots before being ready for a deep playoff push, but may not have the draft capital in 2020 to address everything required.  

Love it. Honestly I don't disagree with any of it. You did a really good job here Rags I greatly appreciate it

• Like 2

Random FA question ( @SirA1?) How should one handle a person that is a FA in the BDL but signed on a 5th year option in regards to the 50% rule?

Example: Arik Armstead

Spotrac shows: $9843/4 years but in 2019 it will be his 5th year and he will be making $9046

Will anyone bidding on him be required to start at $2461 or $4523?

4 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Random FA question ( @SirA1?) How should one handle a person that is a FA in the BDL but signed on a 5th year option in regards to the 50% rule?

Example: Arik Armstead

Spotrac shows: $9843/4 years but in 2019 it will be his 5th year and he will be making $9046

Will anyone bidding on him be required to start at $2461 or $4523?

This is a good question. It should be off his current deal though. So I would say 4523