Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

14 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

It's a matter of putting the best team on the field every year. If you have the money/cap space to bring in plus players, why not. Good owners aren't going to sit on their hands when their product can get better and bring more money in. Bisciotti is a good owner.

But, now with Houston off the market there  isn't one guy to spend a bunch on. Especially those that don't count against the cap. The team might wait on signing someone else until one of their own free agents signs elsewhere. They're not going to lose a 3rd round comp pick for a mid-tier signing. Bethel's contract will count for the formula so the team is down to just the one they're getting for Smith. 

I don't understand that. I thought only the top 32 contracts were what mattered? How does Bethel's measly contract effect that?

11 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I don't understand that. I thought only the top 32 contracts were what mattered? How does Bethel's measly contract effect that?

Also, only 32 compensatory picks are handed out overall. A contract can qualify for the formula but not be high enough to get a pick in return. Not sure why, but it is what it is.

in the aftermath of Gronk retiring, a trade down with the Pats seems awfully attractive now with their 2 2nd rounders...

lets hope them TEs are still available at #22 and the want to add another weapon at TE rather than a supplemental piece through FA.

(looking at you, Maxx)

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

1. Makes sense about Jimmy, couldn’t agree more with how nonsensical it would be to release Smith. With him we’ve got one of the most dangerous, versatile, and deep secondaries we’ve ever had. Heck this could make a run for a GOAT unit if they play up to their talent levels.

2. Agreed. We should target the position high in the draft. There’s a lot of receivers in the class, but that’s all the more reason to have our pick of the litter.

3. Agreed. Not against Brent Urban if it’s a great price. Surprised as well that he hasn’t been signed yet.

4. Hopefully we take the gamble with a mid round pick for a pass rusher vs taking one early in the draft. Unless a freak option falls.

5. Kind of sounds like he’s mentioning Dez Bryant in the draft and how we lost out on him. Or maybe DJ Moore last year?

1. Imo it makes all the sense to keep Jimmy. We would most likely have received a lower pick in the draft and some deadmoney. Instead we let him play out his contract, have a chance to bring him back, or get a comp pick the following year and with no cap ramifications. In the meantime, we get a very good player albeit for 10 games a season - with the chance of more if he is healthy. This gives us a lot of scheme versatility and depth.

2. For a run the ball first team, we already have 4 receiving options in Hurst, Andrews, Moore and Snead - as well as an unproven player in Lasley and a running back in Ingram who will get his touches as well. I can't see where a high pick at wide receiver makes sense - especially with the question marks surrounding the top picks in the class. Terry McLaurin, Mecole Hardman are options who could be available as stretch the field guys later in the draft.

3. Seems like we have put forth a contract for Urban and let him test the market. Either with a soft deadline or a deadline after the draft. Then Urban has a chance to return after the draft or find a team that didn't get the dline they wanted in the draft. I still can't see how we have chosen not to resign him immediately. Also surprised the Patriots haven't picked him up.

4. I hope we pick a pass rusher with our 3. round pick. There are some options that could fit well with the rotation we already have.

5. I wonder what success he is talking about, because that success has been very modest. Its a new team though with a certain philosophy, can't see how we wouldn't favor the oline if we want to be serious about the ability to run the ball and protect Lamar.

29 minutes ago, Danand said:

5. I wonder what success he is talking about, because that success has been very modest.

I think he's referring to success pinpointing the draft range of WRs, not success in drafting/developing them. Like, whether they wanted to pick to a certain receiver or not. They'd have a great idea of when they'd come off the board. That, or he's just pinning some of their WR draft woes on more palatable wording. "Misevaluated Range" doesn't sting as much as "Positional Failure".

Also, when DeCosta says "We look at the draft as an opp. to do that". In reference to WR and EDGE. That essentially means Bowser & Williams, and some combination of Chris Moore, Jordan Lasley, or Jaleel Scott- are in store for massive amounts of work. A high pick/talented WR could carve out a decent role, but any EDGE pieces we bring in are going to decorate our bench.

55 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I think he's referring to success pinpointing the draft range of WRs, not success in drafting/developing them. Like, whether they wanted to pick to a certain receiver or not. They'd have a great idea of when they'd come off the board. That, or he's just pinning some of their WR draft woes on more palatable wording. "Misevaluated Range" doesn't sting as much as "Positional Failure".

Also, when DeCosta says "We look at the draft as an opp. to do that". In reference to WR and EDGE. That essentially means Bowser & Williams, and some combination of Chris Moore, Jordan Lasley, or Jaleel Scott- are in store for massive amounts of work. A high pick/talented WR could carve out a decent role, but any EDGE pieces we bring in are going to decorate our bench.

Bringing in Bethel, that speaks to me they want to "convert" Chris Moore to a pure receiver/returner. Seeing him, Snead, Lasley, Andrews and Hurst as the primary options at WR would (baring injury) make it difficult for a new WR to see the field unless there is an immediate impact.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of 2-tight end sets with Boyle and Hurst with Andrews in the slot and Moore/Snead/Lasley as a wideout and Ingram on the field.

12 hours ago, Danand said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of 2-tight end sets with Boyle and Hurst with Andrews in the slot and Moore/Snead/Lasley as a wideout and Ingram on the field.

Me either, I think we're going to see a lot of that.

Accomplished.

Overdue. 

Good to hear.

Turning UDFAs you aren't going to keep into draft picks. A+.

Translation: Mid-Late IOL pick incoming. Skura will start no matter what. 

Greedy. I like that.

Moore in as starter. Exciting.

Justice Hill? Bryce Love? Darrell Henderson? 

If true. I wonder how much he could've gotten elsewhere.

Just going to motivate Lamar even more.

Always valuable.

I watched the entire little presser Harbaugh had.

Some key takeaways:

- The way Harbaugh talks about young players on offense and defense, is night and day. For Young, Peanut, Bowser, and Williams it's "They've gotta step up". For our young guys on offense though, it's all excitement. "They're going to be household names"-referring to our unheralded WRs. "Just like our DBs, I expect them to be the top the group in the league"-referring to our Tight Ends. lol He even hyped up De'Lance Turner talking about how excited they are about him.

A little odd imo. I think because he played defense himself and the Raven's identity is that of a defense oriented franchise, he's just naturally harder on those guys. Even if they really flash, he always wants to keep them grounded for the most part until they're at or near that Pro Bowl/All Pro Level. 

He said he talked to Bowser and Williams and they're excited and ready to step up. He also talked to Mark and Hayden and directly told them he expects them to be the best Tight Ends in the league. They're apparently working out like crazy and John is super high on them. A lot of praise and expectations for Hayden.

- John's quote about wanting more picks was directly attached to praise of this draft class's mid round WR crop. That's now Eric, John, and Joe Hortiz who've talked about WRs in terms of the middle rounds. Don't bet on a WR early.

- Don't bet on IOL early either. Skura is locked in, and John directly said Yanda hasn't lost a step. The "competition" at LG will be between Hurst, Bozeman, and Lewis when cleared. I've gotten no impression from anyone with the team that IOL is a priority in the draft. It's only been spoken of in "adding a body" terms. Disappointing, but they seem to have confidence in Skura taking another step forward and a healthier Hurst, Year 2 Bozeman, or ? Lewis fitting in as a starter just fine.

I know the team wants a trade down, as they do most years, but at some point in the 1st Round they're going to have to make a pick.

Thought to be our biggest needs were IOL, WR, S, and HB. We signed Earl, the team doesn't seem to want a WR or IOL early. It was doubtful they'd take a HB early even before signing Ingram, but now that's definitely off the table. So what's left?

- QB HB WR TE OT OG OC EDGE IDL LB CB S

^^That's the impression I get of our 1st Round board at the moment. 

If the appropriate trade down doesn't present itself, I think EDGE or IDL is what we'll pick. And the prospects that could be there for us at those positions would be-

EDGE: Clelin Ferrell, Jachai Polite, Rashan Gary, Chase Winovich

IDL: Jeffrey Simmons, Christian Wilkins, Jerry Tillery

^^^As of now, barring a trade down. I'll put my money on one of them being our 1st Round Pick. 

*I would've included off ball LB as a BPA possibility but I'm 99% sure Devin White and Devin Bush will be off the board and the value drop off after them is too steep. 

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

I would come to the same conclusion - although nothing is certain.

The mid round focus on wide receivers is one thing I am behind though. With question marks regarding separation, drops, injuries, production to the top options at wide receiver, I think the additional pieces to Lasley, Moore and Snead should/could be found later - especially if we can look at development players or one trick ponies. I think Mecole Hardman is one which fit that option. If we go back in the second round, I think Campbell, Hall, Isabella, McLaurin are very intriguing options.

Again, Hjalte Froholdt is a development player who played LG most of his time at Arkansas. He is not as physical as most teams would like, but the guy is very athletic and wins from the neck up - we would get a player to groom like we does with Senat.

I would LOVE to get a guy like Paris Campbell in the second; it's just a question of how much we'll have to give up to get back into the second. He along with AJ Brown and Hakeem Butler are probably my three favorite receivers in this draft. If we come out of this draft with any one of those guys I will be more than satisfied with our WR corps going into the season.