New Coach Mock

Dubz41

Now that we have a new Coach and apparently the same DC.  We might have a little insight to where we are going in the draft.  So here’s my hypothesis for the off season:

Free Agents:

Sign Anthony Barr.  Probably going to cost close to $60M for four years.  He’s only 26 and is misused in Minnesota.  Would fit Pettine’s scheme very well.  If Pettine can get 10 sacks out of Fack he could turn Barr into an All Pro.  As for Rodgers?  Winning heals everything.

Sign Tre Boston.  He can play the deep safety position that we don’t have the personnel for right now.  Probably cost around $5-6M a year? Two years should be enough to develop a draft pick or Jackson for that role.

I keep Bulaga and move him to RG with Spriggs at RT.

Cobb walks, CMIII can come back at $10M for two years.

Would like to keep Breeland also, looks like three years at about $20M.

Draft:

1A-  Christian Wilkins  DT Clemson  We have depth at DT just not enough starters.  Wilkins was a team leader for the Tigers and would help propel Clark toward All Pro.  

1B- Brian Burns Edge Florida State   Talent to develop. Burns has high Football IQ and needs to fill out physically, but with the addition of Barr he has that time.  

2-  Amani Hooker  S  Iowa  Recently declared for the draft.  This kid is good.  Good tackler, good in coverage and very versatile.  Fills a big hole

3-  Conner McGovern  C/G  Penn State  Solid IOL might start at either Guard spot if Taylor or Bulaga stumble.  Versatility and that Big10 toughness I like.

4A- Bennie Snell Jr.  RB  Kentucky  I think he’ll last this long. Rugged runner (when most teams are looking for the Tarik Cohen type) who can run through arm tackles.  Will really solidify the position.

4B-  Alize Mack TE  Notre Dame  Has a character concern, but is a great developmental guy for this position.

5- Mitch Hyatt  OT  Clemson  He needs to get stronger, but showed well in the Championship game vs Alabama. 6-foot-5, 306 pounds. 40 in 5.10 seconds. 34.25-inch arms, 10.5-inch hands, and a 82-inch wing span.

So….Defensive talent and then offensive depth.

Last three picks are impossible to guess.  Would like to see LB, DB and maybe Hunter Renfrow?

Short and to the point.  Sorry, no pictures.

Let me just say this... We just got a new offensive coach to run a new system, and both our free agents and first 3 picks are all on defense? Wouldn't be so sure. I like the players, but I think we see a couple key players drafted or signed to fit the new offense. 

Hey Dubz!  When I saw a mock of yours, I just knew Barr would be in it!  :)

Love the mock.

I'm not fan of Barr's, but I can't disagree with you concerning his usage and what it could be.

I like Boston at FS.  Need a vet there.

DL then Edge?  Yah, I can see that.

I think the second round, though, is offense.

Love the guard and where you took him.

Love the developmental TE...think he's a good one.

I like all your choises, espedially the Clemson guys. Although there stock has gone up after dominating Bama. Your fisrt thee picks and FA lean, Defence. IMHO we seem to always( mostly) pick D early and offen , but the D doen't get better. With and Offensive minded HC, he might be thinking OL, TE, WR, RB early.

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Let me just say this... We just got a new offensive coach to run a new system, and both our free agents and first 3 picks are all on defense? Wouldn't be so sure. I like the players, but I think we see a couple key players drafted or signed to fit the new offense. 

I get that, but there isn't a lot wrong with the offense other than the drop in efficiency from #12.  I believe some of the stats will bear that out.  IF you are going to sign or draft offense early, where are you targeting?  TE? We have a lot of $$ already allotted there.  WR? Allison is coming back and the three rookies will have a year under their belt.  RB? To supplant Jones or are you investing in a backup?

Not trying to be contentious, just have already pondered those decisions.

I've seen it on this forum before: Defensive Talent; Offensive scheme.

11 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I get that, but there isn't a lot wrong with the offense other than the drop in efficiency from #12.  I believe some of the stats will bear that out.  IF you are going to sign or draft offense early, where are you targeting?  TE? We have a lot of $$ already allotted there.  WR? Allison is coming back and the three rookies will have a year under their belt.  RB? To supplant Jones or are you investing in a backup?

Not trying to be contentious, just have already pondered those decisions.

I've seen it on this forum before: Defensive Talent; Offensive scheme.

Disagree. 

I could see us taking OT, WR or TE in the first along with any spot on defense. RB I can see us taking as early as 2nd round, but probably 3-4 is that money spot. I wouldn't mind seeing us signing a vet HB to be RB3 instead, that works just as well. 

Not saying there's anything wrong with our offense, but we are old and slow at tight end and don't have a TE capable of blocking and being a receiver, we don't have a twitchy explosive player at either WR or RB, and Bulaga is likely going into his last year and not really sure if we have a starter to re-sign in Spriggs (who is gong to be a RFA after next year).

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Agree with this, not saying the mock is bad or anything but I would expect an OC with such a different scheme will want to at least slightly revamp the offensive roster 

Hate it.  We can't continue to ignore the offense.  I understand that we need defensive help as well but our offense was the single biggest reason we didn't make the playoffs last year.   Just adding a HC (while subtracting Cobb) isn't going to be enough to get us back into the playoffs IMO.

I'd feel terrible for LAF is this is the route.  Basically needing him to make miracles with a less talented group that Mike McCarthy failed with.  

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Watch the playoffs. We can't afford not to go defense

I'd imagine that Chicago fans and Baltimore fans might disagree.  Chicago's offense couldn't manage more than 15 points at home despite playing against a mediocre defense.  Baltimore was even more egregious as that disgusting excuse for an offense completely failed their defense which kept them in the game.  

Think LAC showed us that balance is important.  You don't need to completely ignore one side of the ball to make improvements on the other.  We're setting LAF for failure if we're expecting him to take a even less talented offense than the one MM failed with and make the playoffs.  

Archived