Texas A&M University (2012)
Graduate Asst./Inside Receivers

Minnesota Vikings (2013–14)
Assistant WRs/Quality Control

University of Kansas (2015)
Wide Receivers

Denver Broncos (2016–present)
Offensive Assistant/Quarterbacks

Yeah never been a coordinator so the above that he has talent as a coordinator is an unknown. 

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Yeah never been a coordinator so the above that he has talent as a coordinator is an unknown. 

To be fair, unless it comes out that we had a chance to interview a Todd Monken or Zac Taylor was OC-eligible for hire (word right now is he wasn't allowed to interview for anything but HC, OC was blocked), our destination is so meh for an established O mind, we likely were ending up with an unproven commodity as our next OC-in-waiting.   It's just that since it's Kubiak's son...well, the nepotism-over-talent worry is entirely legit.   But we were going to have to take a  leap of faith on a mostly-unproven guy to be the potential OC-in-waiting.

Now, if Elway passed on a Monken or Taylor as an OC candidate, well, meh.  I think that's unlikely, though.  We're just not an exciting destination for OC's.  Right now we look like a place where OC's careers go to die.

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

As a Head Coach, X and O's only matter so much. It's more about leadership, culture, decision making. We don't know how Fangio (or any other candidate) would fare with this, so let's give the guy a chance rather than booing him as soon as the preseason starts.

This is a good point. A very good point. 

One thing I hear and read repeatedly when teams are interviewing and hiring head coaches is how "Coach X is an expert in _____ he will help our team improve so much in that area," an example would be everyone thinking that Munchak was going to fix our OL problems. A HC has an awful lot on his plate, he cannot devote his full energies to coaching up a specific unit or even one side of the ball. 

One benefit to the co-HC setup we have now is each will work with their side of the ball and largely stay away from the other. Whether or not Vic has the leadership and other qualities required to be a good HC is, as lomax says, unknown at this point. Last time we hired a HC who was touted as a great leader of men, that was the talking point, and it was eaten up with a spoon by the media cheerleaders. It didn't take long for us to realize that was far from the case with Vance. Let's hope Elway and his search committee did a better job this go around, color me skeptical as it appears this was a hire made with PR at the forefront. 

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

I’m happy with the Fangio hire. I however like many others am very skeptical of the Kubiak as OC narrative. And then the funniest yet terrifying part will be when Klint takes over as the OC for Gary. And we surpass some talent for nepotism. 

I think it is fair we give Klint a chance to see what he can do. Look at Kyle Shanahan, he took his dad's offense, improved it and adapted it to the modern game, becoming one of the best, if not the best, offensive coordinators in the league along the way. I'm hopeful Klint can do the same. 

Well this is good news, the last thing this team needs to go through a rebuilding cycle. We're ready to win now! 

All sarcasm aside, this reticence to undergo a rebuilding process, when even guys like Chris Harris say we need to, is a major problem for this franchise. As I've been saying from the get-go, the business problems with this organization and need to be at least somewhat competitive in hopes of keeping Bill Bowlen & Co. at bay is costing us just one wasted season after another. We won't be bad enough to get a premium draft pick or go into an offseason with huge cap space but we also won't be good enough to be anything more than a fringe playoff team. Welcome to NFL purgatory! 

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

Here is the list -

As coach:

Texas A&M University (2010–11)
Quality Control/Offense

Texas A&M University (2012)
Graduate Asst./Inside Receivers

Minnesota Vikings (2013–14)
Assistant WRs/Quality Control

University of Kansas (2015)
Wide Receivers

Denver Broncos (2016–present)
Offensive Assistant/Quarterbacks

Who knows, he may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Mighty wet behind the ears though.

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well this is good news, the last thing this team needs to go through a rebuilding cycle. We're ready to win now! 

All sarcasm aside, this reticence to undergo a rebuilding process, when even guys like Chris Harris say we need to, is a major problem for this franchise. 

If DEN spends most of the gained cap space in a win-now flurry of signings, with this O in its current shape, and the FA's available, holy h***, that will be absolutely brutal for our franchise.   Getting out of cap h*** was part of the reason our future was looking brighter.

The only other good thing to come out of 2018 was the development of our kids.   To then go win-now and invest hard in 2019 with Keenum as our QB (or some other retread FA), unless there's some unexpected guy who falls into our lap, man, I do not see it at all.   And as you said, neither do the players.   That's ridiculous.   

Man, I hope that's just posturing that Elway is doing to keep casual fan interest.  Because if 2019's philosophy is win-now....ugh, ugh, ugh.  

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Man, I hope that's just posturing that Elway is doing to keep casual fan interest.  Because if 2019's philosophy is win-now....ugh, ugh, ugh.  

Everything points to the team going all-in to win in 2019 and 2020. There's the business side of things, the closing windows on Von and CHJ's primes and the fact that Elway only has three years left on his deal. 

If Elway is saying this to keep casual fan interest as you say, he's acting in a counter-productive manner. When the team doesn't win big in 2019 - and I don't see how we can given the current makeup of the roster - saying publicly we're in win-now mode would only come back to bite him harder when the team goes 8-8. Given the team's rampant PR problems, the better thing to do is to set expectations lower, or allow them to be lowered naturally, and hope to exceed them. With Kubiak as the de facto HC, expectations, especially with the casual fans among whom he is universally revered, are already going to be high. 

Given everything, I doubt this is lip service. We are in win-now mode, whether we, as informed fans, like it or not. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wow, sounds like Vic didn’t do one thing to prepare for this press conference. O.o

13 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Expect every press conference for him ever to be like that

On the plus side, I expect we won't hear about how it was a great week of practice in Year 1.  And if our O isn't pulling their weight and it's letting the D down, I fully expect Fangio to go Full Mental Jacket on their *sses in the presser Mike Zimmer-style.

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Everything points to the team going all-in to win in 2019 and 2020. There's the business side of things, the closing windows on Von and CHJ's primes and the fact that Elway only has three years left on his deal. 

If Elway is saying this to keep casual fan interest as you say, he's acting in a counter-productive manner. When the team doesn't win big in 2019 - and I don't see how we can given the current makeup of the roster - saying publicly we're in win-now mode would only come back to bite him harder when the team goes 8-8. Given the team's rampant PR problems, the better thing to do is to set expectations lower, or allow them to be lowered naturally, and hope to exceed them. With Kubiak as the de facto HC, expectations, especially with the casual fans among whom he is universally revered, are already going to be high. 

Given everything, I doubt this is lip service. We are in win-now mode, whether we, as informed fans, like it or not. 

If this is the case the draft classes are sure to revert to desperation. 

Archived