Around The League V.2

Totty

4 hours ago, Totty said:

Simpson?

I see Simpson as the LG of the future. I was referring to Kamaal Seymour. I see the future of our RG spot as open. 

https://www.si.com/.amp-jets/nfl/jets/news/ny-jets-nfl-draft-kamaal-seymour-rutgers-footba

He maybe a long shot, but Seymour has this going for him 

- good size for a guard 

- plus athlete ... been called a freak athlete 

-was a good college player 

- new to position or might have been valued higher than UDFA 

- good kid, with a great work ethic 

Seymour started at RT for Rutgers for 41 games but scouts viewed him as a more natural guard. He’s new to the guard position. Heck, he barely started playing OL in college. He will he raw, so a year on practice squad could do wonders. Then again, he could just wash away and never heard from again. He does have a few things going for him. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I see Simpson as the LG of the future. I was referring to Kamaal Seymour. I see the future of our RG spot as open. 

https://www.si.com/.amp-jets/nfl/jets/news/ny-jets-nfl-draft-kamaal-seymour-rutgers-footba

- good size for a guard 

- plus athlete 

- good kid with a plus with ethic 

Seymour started at RT for Rutgers for 41 games but scouts viewed him as a more natural guard. He’s new to the guard position. Heck, he barely started playing OL in college. He will he raw, so a year on prospect squad could do wonders. Then again, he could just wash away and never heard from again. He does have a few things going for him. 

Gotcha.  I was thinking Simpson not Seymour

5 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

- good size for a guard 

- plus athlete ... been called a freak athlete 

- good kid, with a great work ethic 

Seymour started at RT for Rutgers for 41 games but scouts viewed him as a more natural guard. He’s new to the guard position. Heck, he barely started playing OL in college. He will he raw, so a year on practice squad could do wonders. Then again, he could just wash away and never heard from again. He does have a few things going for him. 

Kamaal Seymour definitely doesn’t have what it takes to make the roster this year but as far as a practice squad development guy he does have a few good things going for him, as you listed.  Very good size at 6'6 319 but also 11.125" hands and a very impressive 35.125" arms.  I wouldnt call him a freak by any means.  He's an athletic NFL G but he's moving inside mostly because he struggled in pass protection.

The main problem he will have to overcome is it’s unlikely we’ll keep 2 G’s in the practice squad.  We probably keep 2 OLmen: 1 Tackle, 1 G/C.  We have Lester Cotton competing for that G/C spot with Seymour.  Cotton’s a pretty good player (In terms of the practice squad).  It’ll be a pretty good competition between the two guys.  I think he’s a G only prospect so him playing RT in college won’t be a “versatility” advantage for him.

He could get cut at immediately if the 80 man limit is passed.  Only time will tell.  

I do not understand the “heck he barely played OL in college” especially after you mentioned he played 41 games at RT.  

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Pretty good list. Don’t sleep on Seymour, he might be a steal at guard. 

I commented in another thread where you mentioned Seymour.

I'm not sleeping on him, hes a decent practice squad candidate.  I think he might not even have the chance to compete though, if we go to 80 man rosters.  Its very likely someone from the OL, if not 2, will be in the 10 player release to get to 80.  We're not gonna cut 5 OL and 5 WR's.  It'll likely be 1-2 from every position group.
Everyone else on the OLine is a known commodity.  Seymour is moving from college RT to NFL RG.  Its not a knock on him but he's just likely to get cut right away.  The rest of the players are competing for actual 53man roster spots, besides Lester Cotton.  He's really just competing to get BACK on the PS.  The coaches know him and brought him back.  IDK it just seems more likely they'd role with a known commodity, who was with us last year and has the 'Bama pedigree, versus a Rutgers player making a position change.

If he does make it on the Training Camp roster i do think he has a 30% chance of making the PS; 70% if Cotton is cut prior to camp.

Seymour is a decent developmental RG prospect.  Nice size, long arms+big hangs, nice body composition.  but hes no freak, like you mentioned elsewhere.  hes a decent athlete for a NFL G, but hes moving inside because of struggles he had in pass pro at Rutgers.  he's no "big Dancing Bear" and im not familiar with him being some weightroom beast either.

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Kamaal Seymour definitely doesn’t have what it takes to make the roster this year but as far as a practice squad development guy he does have a few good things going for him, as you listed.  Very good size at 6'6 319 but also 11.125" hands and a very impressive 35.125" arms.  I wouldnt call him a freak by any means.  He's an athletic NFL G but he's moving inside mostly because he struggled in pass protection.

The main problem he will have to overcome is it’s unlikely we’ll keep 2 G’s in the practice squad.  We probably keep 2 OLmen: 1 Tackle, 1 G/C.  We have Lester Cotton competing for that G/C spot with Seymour.  Cotton’s a pretty good player (In terms of the practice squad).  It’ll be a pretty good competition between the two guys.  I think he’s a G only prospect so him playing RT in college won’t be a “versatility” advantage for him.

He could get cut at immediately if the 80 man limit is passed.  Only time will tell.  

I do not understand the “heck he barely played OL in college” especially after you mentioned he played 41 games at RT.  

He was a DLineman before he switched to OL in college. Article I posted had a coach call him a “freak of nature”. I don’t really know if he is or not. Probably a long shot, but sometimes people shine when they switch positions. 

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

He was a DLineman before he switched to OL in college. Article I posted had a coach call him a “freak of nature”. I don’t really know if he is or not. Probably a long shot, but sometimes people shine when they switch positions. 

Yeah but like 90% (ok I’m making that up and Maybe exaggerating the % a bit) switch high school positions in college.  And if he was a HS DT I guarantee you he played some OL too. 

I agree he’s a good long shot pick For PS but I don’t buy the “just switched position high upside” part, not 1% I’m sorry.

big difference between Seymour and a guy like Isaiah Johnson who switched after his sophomore year.

Coaches often over state aspects of their players..... Carr is the messiah to Gruden lol.

34 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Bell needs to shut up tbh. 

Adams know the Jets are a dumpster fire, which they are and yes Bell is an overpaid loudmouth that was the product of a system.

I will say the Jets got the better of that deal though.  2 Firsts a 3rd and Mcdougal is a pretty good haul for a Safety (non impact position) who will want somewhere around 17 million a year.