Around The League V.2

Totty

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yea I can't wait to see how this unfolds.

I have no clue what happened.  If it goes against the forum policy I guess just message me.  Been trying to buy some decent bumper plates today without using the kids college fund.  I did not realize I was researching that long.

Edited by drfrey13

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I have no clue what happened.  If it goes against the forum policy I guess just message me.  Been trying to buy some decent bumper plates today without using the kids college fund.  I did not realize I was researching that long.

It's going to get ugly.   👀 Involves cheerleaders, smoke and booze.  Just Google it.

19 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

How bad could this story be? Well bad enough for shareholders to bounce 

I'm wondering if Jay Gruden is implicated as is being suggested could this leach onto Jon at all, its looking particularly unsavoury so that kind of dirt could stick even if there's no direct link.

Wonder how many times we've been victims of the ref bribing....... we've all said it over the years 😁😁  

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This would be WILD. I wonder if we come come close to getting under the cap? See ya Joyner! Would have to move money around like crazy.

CAP TOTALS

TRANSACTIONS LOG (HIDE)

1. Released Gabe Jackson
    (Saved: $9,600,000)
  2. Restructured Trenton Brown
    (Saved: $13,620,000)
  3. Restructured Derek Carr
    (Saved: $12,053,333)
  4. Restructured Cory Littleton
    (Saved: $6,786,667)
  5. Restructured Tyrell Williams
    (Saved: $6,786,667)
  6. Restructured LaMarcus Joyner
    (Saved: $2,520,000)
  7. Restructured Marcus Mariota
    (Saved: $3,340,000)
  8. Restructured Darren Waller
    (Saved: $4,908,750)
  9. Restructured Carl Nassib
    (Saved: $4,453,333)
  10. Restructured Nick Kwiatkoski
    (Saved: $4,120,000)
  11. Restructured Richie Incognito
    (Saved: $1,977,500)
  12. Restructured Rodney Hudson
    (Saved: $70,000)
  13. Restructured Jalen Richard
    (Saved: $1,277,500)
  14. Restructured Jeff Heath
    (Saved: $952,500)

There’s no way the NFL could tell teams right before camp they need to cut 40m off their salary cap.  They key words in that quote are “and benefits”.  Meaning per diems, insurance payments by the team, 401k contributions, etc etc would be reduced.  Just making this up but maybe their asking players to take a slightly reduced salary.... as in player A with a 1.0M salary is paid 950k.  They absolutely will not force teams to release players or restructure contracts.

The salary cap is set by Last Years earnings anything they do to change this year will be to reduce the effects of a significant drop in the salary cap next year.

https://nfltraderumors.co/nflpa-proposes-spreading-revenue-losses-over-nine-years/#

What is most likely to happen, In just my humble opinion, is the cap stays at 198.2M next year.  Whatever difference from what it should be and 198.2M is spread out over 3 years (‘21, ‘22, ‘23).  In ‘22 we’ll see a new TV deal and the massive increase Just in years 1+2 (‘22-‘23) in revenue from that should subsidize the Lossed Revenue this year and even inflate the cap a small margin.

With that said, it’s important we be as fiscally conservative as possible.  Carrying over as much cap room as possible this year is very important.  Also, having Structured contracts that have little to no dead cap after year 2 will prove to be very helpful.  

We should be in good place financially.  It could even be to our advantage, if teams lack large amounts of cap space it should minimize the costs of the non-elite FA contracts in ‘21.  Maybe we can be buyers in a buyers market.  Even elite players might not see the deals they normally would.

there will also be plenty of cap room to clear from some of the players already in the books....

Player Cap Number Dead Money Cap Savings
Tyrell Williams $11,600,000 $0 $11,600,000
Gabe Jackson $9,600,000 $0 $9,600,000
Lamarcus Joyner $11,200,000 $2,500,000 $8,700,000
Marcus Mariota $10,100,000 $0 $10,100,000
Jalen Richard $3,500,000 $0 $3,500,000
Jeff Heath $3,150,000 $0 $3,150,000

Not Likely to Happen... but....

Carl Nassib $9,500,000 $5,750,000 $3,750,000
Nick Kwiatkoski $7,000,000 $3,375,000 $3,625,000
Richie Incognito $6,350,000 $0 $6,350,000
Derek Carr $22,125,000 $2,500,000 $19,625,000

10 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Rookies report to camp July 21st

QBs July 23rd

Vets July 28th

Time to start getting these rookies signed 

I’ve been saying this as have others.  Why the delay?  We usually get everyone done in time though.

16 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ve been saying this as have others.  Why the delay?  We usually get everyone done in time though.

There are only 9 out of the 32 1st round picks signed at this point (can't give you the number for the whole draft class). It's a league wide issue. Most teams aren't signing rookies until they know more about the upcoming season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-2020-nfl-draft-picks-unsigned-pandemic

In this report from a month ago, it says draft picks might have to wait until the start of TC to sign because teams want to have them take a physical at their facilities.

Edited by oakdb36

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

There are only 9 out of the 32 1st round picks signed at this point (can't give you the number for the whole draft class). It's a league wide issue. Most teams aren't signing rookies until they know more about the upcoming season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-2020-nfl-draft-picks-unsigned-pandemic

In this report from a month ago, it says draft picks might have to wait until the start of TC to sign because teams want to have them take a physical at their facilities.

Your completely missing the boat here: Yes only 9/32 1st round picks are signed but most teams have at least some of the other picks already done.  First round picks are often the last to sign, due to the more complicated structuring and language while the other picks are really cut and dry.  
We’re going to get it done but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ruggs is sitting in the locker room Day 1 while the morning practice is underway and his agent is finalizing our last deal.  

I don’t buy the “we’re waiting cuz of Covid”.  We’re absolutely going to sign them.... and this week so there’s no benefit In waiting a few more days.  

The only thing we’re doing is waiting until the last minute and then put ourselves in a situation where we’re scrambling to get it done
Also, I think it’s a poor taste move to make these guys wait to get their signing bonus.  They’re still broke college kids.... sure they can get loans but why not just do the right thing and pay them earlier then later so they have money to train and get their lives in order before the season.  Why have them paying interest on loans when it’s not necessary.  That’s bother me if i was a draft pick.  It’d put a sour taste in my mouth from the start.  So when Carr texts me to come workout id be saying ... “yeah sure once your boy Mayock send me that first check I’ll get on the next flight”