Around The League V.2

Totty

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Your completely missing the boat here: Yes only 9/32 1st round picks are signed but most teams have at least some of the other picks already done.  First round picks are often the last to sign, due to the more complicated structuring and language while the other picks are really cut and dry.  
We’re going to get it done but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ruggs is sitting in the locker room Day 1 while the morning practice is underway and his agent is finalizing our last deal.  

I don’t buy the “we’re waiting cuz of Covid”.  We’re absolutely going to sign them.... and this week so there’s no benefit In waiting a few more days.  

The only thing we’re doing is waiting until the last minute and then put ourselves in a situation where we’re scrambling to get it done
Also, I think it’s a poor taste move to make these guys wait to get their signing bonus.  They’re still broke college kids.... sure they can get loans but why not just do the right thing and pay them earlier then later so they have money to train and get their lives in order before the season.  Why have them paying interest on loans when it’s not necessary.  That’s bother me if i was a draft pick.  It’d put a sour taste in my mouth from the start.  So when Carr texts me to come workout id be saying ... “yeah sure once your boy Mayock send me that first check I’ll get on the next flight”

It is cause of covid though. You see the owners are trying to lower the cap. They dont know what this season gonna look like. They aint counting on normal checks. They want to see what the revenue share, what the players want, and how this season gonna work before giving out money on signing bonuses. Especially talking about mark Davis one if the most "cash poor" owners in the league. Once they get this agreement with the nflpa signed on the details of season the rookie contracts will start to roll in. 

Oh and the agency should be fronting their clients money. They know the rookie scale and how much they may get. They can front them money that they need. Jeudy just brought a new house and i don't think he been signed yet. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

It is cause of covid though. You see the owners are trying to lower the cap. They dont know what this season gonna look like. They aint counting on normal checks. They want to see what the revenue share, what the players want, and how this season gonna work before giving out money on signing bonuses. Especially talking about mark Davis one if the most "cash poor" owners in the league. Once they get this agreement with the nflpa signed on the details of season the rookie contracts will start to roll in. 

Oh and the agency should be fronting their clients money. They know the rookie scale and how much they may get. They can front them money that they need. Jeudy just brought a new house and i don't think he been signed yet. 

Someone gets it.

• Like 1

Just found out our local hs football won’t start practicing until December 🙄definitely Gonna be a challenge to keep these kids focused. Season goes from dec to March lol at least more games with potential weather variety instead of just 100+ temp games

7 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Just found out our local hs football won’t start practicing until December 🙄definitely Gonna be a challenge to keep these kids focused. Season goes from dec to March lol at least more games with potential weather variety instead of just 100+ temp games

That would never work in CT.... only in Cali can you play games in Dec to March....imagine a whole season of nothing but snow games lol?

20 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

That would never work in CT.... only in Cali can you play games in Dec to March....imagine a whole season of nothing but snow games lol?

I love those kinda games but I’ve only played in one snow game. Only cold rainy games in Cali. I’ll take it over 100+ deg games those are brutal and lightweight dangerous.

cross country also goes from dec to March now lol 

I get @ Dante and @ oakb36 in theory.  But Let’s not act like I’m ignorant to the idea of being conservative with payments in light of the uncertainty of Covid.

However, in REALITY: the draft picks have to be signed by 7/23.  That’s when rookies report to camp.  Veterans report 7/26.  What does that mean? It means all the draft picks have to be signed in the next 3 days or they will not be allowed on the field for practices.  

Now I will admit I was slightly wrong.  I thought more draft picks had been signed.

https://nfltraderumors.co/2020-nfl-draft-pick-signings-tracker/

But nonetheless, what’s the difference in signing these guys a week before camp or literally cramming 7 deals into the day or two before camp?  If your concerned about finances, waiting until the last minute and having to deal with agent objections and an imminent deadline isn’t a good idea.  I’ve actually worked for an NFL agent (Who deals primarily with rookie contracts) before (basic lowest level stuff, was a consultant and not even an employee) but I do know that language and the “lawyer” aspect of the language of the contract can have many hang ups.  These hang ups take time to work thru.  If your a team and pressed against the clock time is a valueable asset.  Waiting only leads to compromises by the team OR they don’t get their players on the field in time, which is a bad look.

we can’t afford the have rookies missing practices this year.  Like all teams do the lower picks get signed first then the day 1 (and 2nd rounders, which we don’t have) get signed last.  These deals could have been signed with a delayed payment of the signing bonus.

These are the slotted Signing Bonuses for our draft picks.

Ruggs: $9,684,820

Arnette: $7,318,940

Edwards: $985,028

Bowden: $972,696

Muse: $832,292

Simpson: $796,784

Robertson: $494,400

My point is.... in the real world what’s he difference in a weeks time; what new ground breaking financial information will come out that would preclude us from signing our draft picks?  Nothing.  The day 2+3 picks should have been signed last week.

btw most agencies, especially those that represent day 2+3 picks don’t just front the money to the players.  They mostly secure loans from another source, at some pretty high rates, for their clients.  The agent fee for a 3rd/4th round pick is usually around 120-80k.  These agents don’t front 50, 100k to guys who are only going to net them that type of money.

5 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I love those kinda games but I’ve only played in one snow game. Only cold rainy games in Cali. I’ll take it over 100+ deg games those are brutal and lightweight dangerous.

cross country also goes from dec to March now lol 

That just blows my mind... only in Cali, LV, and FL (and neighbors)... never could happen in NE, etc.

15 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

That just blows my mind... only in Cali, LV, and FL (and neighbors)... never could happen in NE, etc.

Never say never I’m waiting for my family in Ohio and Iowa to tell me what their modified schedules are. They’re pushing this fast because after the season is over in end of March it starts back up again July 1 in an attempt to get the schedule back to how it should be. Instead of 8-9 months between football seasons it’s 3 months 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

47 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Never say never I’m waiting for my family in Ohio and Iowa to tell me what their modified schedules are. They’re pushing this fast because after the season is over in end of March it starts back up again July 1 in an attempt to get the schedule back to how it should be. Instead of 8-9 months between football seasons it’s 3 months 

“Never” meaning we could NEVER have cross country Or football in the winter here..... it’d be the Winter Olympic bialthon,,, except no shooting.  Imagine running miles thru snowy back woods lol.

51 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

“Never” meaning we could NEVER have cross country Or football in the winter here..... it’d be the Winter Olympic bialthon,,, except no shooting.  Imagine running miles thru snowy back woods lol.

Lol

football in the snow is fun especially being a lineman cause all the fast guys are brought down to lineman speed. We’ll see

10 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

No preseason games this year. Feel for the end of the roster guys, but this was a major hurdle that the players wanted. 

Expect more injuries during camp.  Guys on the bubble are not going to hold back.

11 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

No preseason games this year. Feel for the end of the roster guys, but this was a major hurdle that the players wanted. 

Obviously not going to be joint team practices either so its going to be difficult for the staff to sort the wheat from the chaff at the back end of the roster. Wonder if they will allow more contact type practice or game simulation type practice as they've omitted the pre season games, guys can look very different in drills and training than they do in contact and actual game time and there seems like there may be a lot of overlooked guys available after cuts that perhaps perform better in game time, may suit guys like Agholor who can showcase athleticism with little contact or pressure.