Adam Gase hired to be the HC of the NYJ

jetskid007

7 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Doesn't change the fact that McCarthy has a winning career record and Gase doesn't. 3 seasons isn't a great sample, and I already said he was dealt a terrible hand in MIA, but winning is winning.

McCarthy seemed to be treading downward as evidence of his record over the past couple of years. It may be burn out, the game may be passing him by or he needs to regroup and evolve his philosophy.

i just never felt like we were getting the Super Bowl winning McCarthy if we chose him.

18 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Everyone keeps giving credit to McCarthy developing Rodgers, yet most have no idea who Tom Clements is

And continue to forget about Brett Hundley and DeShone Kizer

Stop giving McCarthy credit for Rodgers and just say Rodgers is just a flat out stud

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I know who he is, I watched him play a lot for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and also the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. :) 

I am just completely unimpressed and disillusioned about the hiring of Gase. Yeah maybe he is a good fit and maybe he is an up-and-coming coach. BUT, it just feels like we hired a guy because we saw more of him inside the division than anybody else. It is hardly outside the box, and if any team in pro sports history needs to start thinking outside the box it's us. 

AND, we will probably hire a good DC and that will ensure mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Same ol' lame-*** Jets.

The ONLY thing that can save us now, as well as the Bills and Dolphins, is a loss to the Chargers by NE this weekend followed by an implosion between coach and QB. Otherwise, Brady is going to be 50 years old and winning the division.

This is exactly how I feel. The Johnsons rather play it safe and be mediocre until we eventually lull ourselves into being bottom-tier team again in a few seasons than swing for the fences. We already a losing franchise - going big and having it blow up won't be as bad as watching this team scrape by doing nothing of note. Sometimes you have to put it all on black.

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

This is exactly how I feel. The Johnsons rather play it safe and be mediocre until we eventually lull ourselves into being bottom-tier team again in a few seasons than swing for the fences. We already a losing franchise - going big and having it blow up won't be as bad as watching this team scrape by doing nothing of note. Sometimes you have to put it all on black.

How is McCarthy a swing for the fences though?  

7 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I would've taken McCarthy over Gase also, but I don't get why people think McCarthy is a slam-dunk hire.  The fact that more teams had interest in Eric Bienemy than him says a lot.

I think most avoided McCarthy because he wanted GM duties too. No way a GM is gonna give up his job for a HC hire. MM will probably end up with the team with the first GM vacancy next season.

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

McCarthy seemed to be treading downward as evidence of his record over the past couple of years. It may be burn out, the game may be passing him by or he needs to regroup and evolve his philosophy.

i just never felt like we were getting the Super Bowl winning McCarthy if we chose him.

Yeah, he ended his tenure in GB on some low note, but much of that had to do with injuries and stiffening NFC competition. A fresh start in a new conference and new personnel would've probably give him good reason to get back to inventing. I felt very good about our SB prospects with MM, more so than any of the other candidates.

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Biggest name in the HC sweepstakes. Is he burnt out or does he just need a new setting? That's a lotto ticket I'd buy.

Edited by NJerseypaint

The fact of the matter is that our head coaching search was done by a proven below-average GM going into his 5th year and an act-in-owner that we all know knows nothing about this business. 

This, coupled with the fact that the Jets have proven to never know as much as the fans/people commenting on this from the outside surely is a key to success.

Everyone in here is banking on both Mike Maccagnan and Adam Gase’s concrete career accolades up to this point never being THEIR respective faults. Let’s understand this. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Gotta love hiring a division HC with a losing record with more talent than he has here

Yikes that MIA talent was not good at all outside of a old Wake and the other pass rusher whose name escapes me from the Rams.  Who else did they have that was really good?  Gore? a couple of speedy small WR's?  That roster was awful to go with awful QB play.

9 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

He definitely was not. The fact the two finalists were both safe choices is troublesome to me.

6 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I think most avoided McCarthy because he wanted GM duties too. No way a GM is gonna give up his job for a HC hire. MM will probably end up with the team with the first GM vacancy next season.

Yeah, he ended his tenure in GB on some low note, but much of that had to do with injuries and stiffening NFC competition. A fresh start in a new conference and new personnel would've probably give him good reason to get back to inventing. I felt very good about our SB prospects with MM, more so than any of the other candidates.

Biggest name in the HC sweepstakes. Is he burnt out or does he just need a new setting? That's a lotto ticket I'd buy.

I would have loved to hire a guy who would have pushed Maccagnan out the door. I don't know if McCarthy is that guy but someone with enough clout to call the shots would have been nice.

Instead, we got a guy who looks like a dear in headlights as a HC.

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Yikes that MIA talent was not good at all outside of a old Wake and the other pass rusher whose name escapes me from the Rams.  Who else did they have that was really good?  Gore? a couple of speedy small WR's?  That roster was awful to go with awful QB play.

Miami's secondary is quite good. Their outside DL are veterans but good, and their interior DL were young and decent this season. They were no worse without Suh imo. Fitzpatrick is going to be great and Howard is already there. 

Offensively, they were a mess this season but losing Landry would hurt any team. Did any offensive players develop under Gase while at Miami? Why are we convinced (not WE fans but we as an organization) that Gase will develop Darnold and not stump his progress?

I'd say that's a 50/50 call right now and I wanted better odds than that.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

I'm talking about on offense. Darnold has more upside obviously then any QB they had under his tenure,  but I don't think we can jump the gun and say Darnold is for sure better than Tannehill this early in his career. You look at MIAs offensive skill players over the last few seasons and IMO its superior to ours, along with having more talent on the OL. So the fact that Gase with that averaged being the 27th best offense in his tenure there and one of the slowest offenses is worrisome to me. Quite frankly I think he gets WAY too much credit for Manning's good season as well. Manning is a HC playing QB. A portion of what he did, was him doing what he wanted to with audibles and what not. Not Gase making these incredible play calls for the team.

I hope to God I'm wrong... but mix that his offenses are underwhelming, our roster on offense is underwhelming, he has a crappy personality and the NY media... I don't see this going well. And could really hurt our chances of Darnold being a franchise QB.

What also makes me worried is him not thinking we need actual talent and that he can plus a square peg into a round hole. Meaning he thinks that we don't need a guy like AJ Green, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans, etc. He thinks that a guy like Albert Wilson can do just as good. He thinks McGuire can do what LeVeon Bell or Tevin Coleman can do in his system, etc. He has a big ego. And quite frankly its not warranted. Bill B. has an ego but at least he's earned it. Gase has done nothing as a HC and thinks he's great.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm talking about on offense. Darnold has more upside obviously then any QB they had under his tenure,  but I don't think we can jump the gun and say Darnold is for sure better than Tannehill this early in his career. You look at MIAs offensive skill players over the last few seasons and IMO its superior to ours, along with having more talent on the OL. So the fact that Gase with that averaged being the 27th best offense in his tenure there and one of the slowest offenses is worrisome to me. Quite frankly I think he gets WAY too much credit for Manning's good season as well. Manning is a HC playing QB. A portion of what he did, was him doing what he wanted to with audibles and what not. Not Gase making these incredible play calls for the team.

I hope to God I'm wrong... but mix that his offenses are underwhelming, our roster on offense is underwhelming, he has a crappy personality and the NY media... I don't see this going well. And could really hurt our chances of Darnold being a franchise QB.

What also makes me worried is him not thinking we need actual talent and that he can plus a square peg into a round hole. Meaning he thinks that we don't need a guy like AJ Green, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans, etc. He thinks that a guy like Albert Wilson can do just as good. He thinks McGuire can do what LeVeon Bell or Tevin Coleman can do in his system, etc. He has a big ego. And quite frankly its not warranted. Bill B. has an ego but at least he's earned it. Gase has done nothing as a HC and thinks he's great.

Bang on. Perfectly stated.

In fact, that may have been a selling point to the owners...the fact they may not have to shell out big bucks to improve this team. Just hire a guy who thinks he knows what he is doing.

The more I think about this, the more discouraged I become.

Edited by Jag68Sid87

I hope Gase can force Macc's hand when it comes to FA and the draft. If he rolls over for some defenders I'm gonna blow a gasket. We have 100M and the #3 pick. We better get one elite offensive talent out of it.

That's also why I wanted MM. Dude was gonna control it all and I doubt he'd want his first year in NYC to be marred by an anemic offense.

Edited by NJerseypaint

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Superior on offense I just don't see it.  Sam is clearly more talented so we'll just leave it at that.  They were pretty close in terms of their rookie years stat wise with Sam being way behind on development at only 21 compared to Tannehill at what 23.  

Our rookie TE was better no question.  I think I'd give a slight edge to Anderson over Stills.  Kearse and Amendola pretty much a wash as both are pretty replaceable, and Q/ Parker is easily Q despite the injury concerns.  Q has shown way more on the field then Parker even though he is crazy talented.  I really don't see the major talent disparity in MIA over NY.  Both are pretty low on the list of offensive talent.  I like Drake's speed but he's not anything special where you could say he's way better then a guy like Crowell so edge to Drake but nothing crazy.

All in all I'd give the slight edge to us in terms of talent going off last year.

• Like 1

I don’t think Miami has better skill positions than us, they definitely have a much better OL but Stills and Robby are on about the same level and Enunwa is better than any other WR on their roster when healthy, Herndon is better than Geseki, and I’d say our RB core are about even (I’m not a big Drake fan). Defensively they’re better by a decent margin imo, better Front 7 and Xavien Howard is a monster.

Edited by Dr.O
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I don’t think Miami has better skill positions than us, they definitely have a much better OL but Stills and Robby are on about the same level and Enunwa is better than any other WR on their roster when healthy, Herndon is better than Geseki, and I’d say our RB core are about even (I’m not a big Drake fan). Defensively they’re better by a decent margin imo, better Front 7 and Xavien Howard is a monster.

Wouldn't even say they were really much better defensively.  Both teams had major flaws, both teams had average to maybe slightly above average defenses, both lacked major weapons on offense and both had below average QB play (one because a 21 year old rookie the other because of injury).

Jets have a top 3 pick an improving QB and 100M while MIA is cutting their QB and is tight on the cap.

Gase was able to somehow keep that bad team in the hunt even though a few of those wins came against bad Jets and bad Buf teams.  

Hopefully we can add a big pass rusher, a big time offensive weapon, and protect Sam better and hope for the best.  Anyone saying Gase had good talent in MIA and he failed is just not accurate.  It's not like he was coach of the Chiefs or Rams here.  There is cause for concern with him sure but a talented offense in MIA wasn't one of them.

Edited by Rockice_8