The Linehan Watch - FINAL DECISION: TERMINATED

textaz03

From BobbyBelt

From what I've been told, Scott Linehan had seen his role in the offensive gameplan significantly reduced over the final weeks of the season, despite still calling plays. This included greater input from Jason Garrett, Doug Nussmeier, and even Dak Prescott.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Something worth mentioning. 

Also - do we want to start a new thread to discuss OC possibilities? Or keep them in here?

He may know football. But there are other things to football rather then just understanding the playbook and the game. For some it's innovation like McVay and others it's player development like Andy Reid.

7 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

He may know football. But there are other things to football rather then just understanding the playbook and the game. For some it's innovation like McVay and others it's player development like Andy Reid.

We saw Dak get better towards the end of the year. We saw the playbook open up more toward the end of the year when Linehan had less of a say. Moore certainly didn't come from a boring offensive scheme at Boise State.

I say before we write him off just because he wasn't a successful QB in the NFL and was brought in by Linehan, we give the guy more than one season to show what he can do.

11 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Outside of his solid work at Alabama, he was a very mediocre play caller for Michigan and Florida.

Only got one season at UM so who really knows where that was going to lead. He managed a group that put up 32ppg and 420 ypg with Devin Gardner at QB, so he can't be too bad.  

No idea what he did at Florida. But, the Muschamp/McElwain years weren't very good in general, so I'm guessing it probably wasn't up to the normal UF standards, which skews things. Hey @Texas_OutLaw7 little help

11 minutes ago, BigD88 said:

I recall UF being flat out awful while Nuss was there.

How much of that was on McElwain vs Nuss, I don’t know. But they were putrid. 

I only remember one game and that was the Outback Bowl. They put a beating on Iowa and a pretty good defense. 

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Only got one season at UM so who really knows where that was going to lead. He managed a group that put up 32ppg and 420 ypg with Devin Gardner at QB, so he can't be too bad.  

No idea what he did at Florida. But, the Muschamp/McElwain years weren't very good in general, so I'm guessing it probably wasn't up to the normal UF standards, which skews things. Hey @Texas_OutLaw7 little help

I hated him. I was furious when we signed him. His play calling sucked. 

Now...maybe that was McElwains fault. Maybe it wasn't. 

What I do know is that apparently Cooper loves him and out WR hates SL. So...we shall see. 

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Those numbers are not accurate. When you look at the individual games from the 2014 season, you’ll notice that Michigan got steamrolled by numerous teams, and failed to score more than 16 points in 6 games (5 of which were blowout losses). We only scored 30+ points three times that season; 52 against Appalachian State, 34 against Miami (OH), and 34 against Indiana. 

Here were the points score by Michigan that season: 52, 0, 34, 10, 14, 24, 18, 11, 34, 10, 16, and 28. I’m not sure how that equates to averaging 32 ppg when it’s actually a tick under 21.

If you throw out the highest and lowest scores (52, 0), the average ppg is 19.9.

5 hours ago, D82 said:

We saw Dak get better towards the end of the year. We saw the playbook open up more toward the end of the year when Linehan had less of a say. Moore certainly didn't come from a boring offensive scheme at Boise State.

I say before we write him off just because he wasn't a successful QB in the NFL and was brought in by Linehan, we give the guy more than one season to show what he can do.

We saw a more confident QB. That is all.

Maybe you're right and play calling is just more his thing but lets be real here QB development is not.

Archived